Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gas in boat winter storage

MystiikVLX

Short story is our boat was winterized a couple weeks ago but there is only about 5 gallons of gas in tank and no fuel stabilizer in fuel.

At this point, what is best thing to do? just add some fuel stabilizer? or fill tank completely and add fuel stabilizer?

Come spring time it's not the gas in the tank that will give you grief...... Its the untreated gas in the EFI. The longer it sits, the more gummed up it's going to get. 2 Or 3 months shouldn't be a problem, but 6 Or 7 very easily could be.

Since none of it's treated now, about the best you can do is treat what's in the tank now (we use Startron now days at the dealership) & start the boat early in the spring. Top off the tank in the spring. And run some EFI cleaner down the throat at that time.

• Like 2

I have always been told (but I never do it) to fill the gas tank to avoid condensation build up in the tank. I live in the desert, and don't have a problem with a lot of humidity so it probably is not a must here. But I would put in some fresh gas and then add stabilizer...maybe add it just after putting in the gas and it will mix in to the gas during the drive back to storage. I only store mine for about 4 months tops, but I always put the stabilizer in during my last trip on the lake to get the stabilizer mixed through all the gas lines.

42 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Come spring time it's not the gas in the tank that will give you grief...... Its the untreated gas in the EFI. The longer it sits, the more gummed up it's going to get. 2 Or 3 months shouldn't be a problem, but 6 Or 7 very easily could be.

Since none of it's treated now, about the best you can do is treat what's in the tank now (we use Startron now days at the dealership) & start the boat early in the spring. Top off the tank in the spring. And run some EFI cleaner down the throat at that time.

When I lived in IN I did the Stabil routine.  Here I don't.  The boat sits 3-4 months for the winter.  In the spring I put about 5 gallons in it, fire it up, take it out.  Then the next time out I fill it and do a fuel system treatment.   

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bbattiste247 said:

I have always been told (but I never do it) to fill the gas tank to avoid condensation build up in the tank. I live in the desert, and don't have a problem with a lot of humidity so it probably is not a must here. But I would put in some fresh gas and then add stabilizer...maybe add it just after putting in the gas and it will mix in to the gas during the drive back to storage. I only store mine for about 4 months tops, but I always put the stabilizer in during my last trip on the lake to get the stabilizer mixed through all the gas lines.

With the new poly fuel tanks condensation is not the problem it was in the days of metal tanks. 

• Like 2

I add sta-bil (double dose) to the last few gallon of gas from the season, ride around a bit, then pull the boat for the winter.  Spring time, I put 12 gallons of gas in the tank, start the boat and let it idle for a few minutes.  This has worked for me since 1963.  Ethanol has never caused me a single problem.  It seems to be for folks who have poor maintenance habits though.  Lay up is from mid sept. to mid may.  

I also add sta-bil before pulling my boat. I ski or take it for a good ride to get it through the fuel system. I do not fill my tank since we have poly tanks.  I like to have a half tank or more to add in spring. I put premium fuel in on the way to the launch to boost any octane loss and I am good to go. I have never had any issues doing this since 1999.