Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 Polar Bear Ski

onamission

Weather doesn't look that bad for tomorrow,  so who's coming out?  Found a couple of old pics from the event.

My first time with a few neighbors. 1997, 5th annual.

Scan_Pic0006a_zpseqf4lypv.jpg

2005 with a few of the crew.

The%20Gang_zpsdq5knxol.jpg

I am planning on it, no white blanket forecast for tomorrow.  How can a slalom addict not want to try out the new TXi tomorrow?

Nice pics, how many people can remember what a polaroid camera is, ('97 pic)?  Now relegated to the great dustbin in the sky along with the 8 track and the Airguide speedo.

1 hour ago, Woodski said:

I am planning on it, no white blanket forecast for tomorrow.  How can a slalom addict not want to try out the new TXi tomorrow?

Nice pics, how many people can remember what a polaroid camera is, ('97 pic)?  Now relegated to the great dustbin in the sky along with the 8 track and the Airguide speedo.

I'm glad the colors on that one dry suit went away. 

Didn't know they had a 17 TXI in and ready to demo. 

New host lake was great.  Water was a warm 39 degrees.  Had to be in and out quick today.  Didn't get a chance to ski the new TXI, not sure you would know the difference with the water conditions, but I do get to ski one all summer. :biggrin:

IMG_0339_zpsbsnk57qq.jpg

Edited by onamission
  • Like 3

Another fun Polar Bear event, great site with a land blocker so 2 boats can run and not create waves for the other one.  Congrats and thanks to Joe & the gang at Skiers Pier for putting on the event again this year and again helping out the American Diabetes Association.  Nice to be able to go inside White Lake Inn to stay warm so a thanks to them also for being host site.  Fun way to spent a December Saturday in SE Michigan. In addition to the Polar Bear, there was a Penguin too!

New TXi is very nice, very soft wakes even in cold water.  They used the blue one that Regina set the record behind.  Plenty of grunt with a 409 and the boat drives great, super solid and much improved ergonomics for me with a nice seating position, controls and excellent vision.  Very roomy inside and the configuration of the transom is more comfortable to sit with ski on platform compared to a CC.  So a thanks to Malibu & Skiers Pier to have it there, nice to get a chance to ski the new vessel so soon after intro.

Edited by Woodski
ahopkins22LSV

Glad you guys had a good time, it was a great event for us (Skiers Pier and The White Lake Inn) too. I don't work for either but try to help them out as much as possible so it was great to see that it worked out for both hosts and all participants!

I put in about 4 hours behind the wheel of the 25 LSV and my friend did the same behind the 22 MXZ. The ski boats ran all day too, it was great to see so many people out. We had 65 people participate from slalom to barefooting!

I completely agree with @Woodski on the 2017 TXi! Those wakes, wow :drool:. Soooooooo soft. I skied it at 36 -28. I wish I would have had more time to ski it at more line lengths, but like he said even in 39 degree water the wakes were extremely soft. Softer then my 2013 TXi. Which IMO, were and still are, amazing too.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

@ahopkinsTXi I wish I got a chance to surf the 25. I was disappointed in the 22mxz. My T22 wake feels a lot harder with the nice lip. I felt the 22mxz was 'soft'.

The event was great. The WLI was a much better venue. Thank you for all your efforts!

• Like 3
ahopkins22LSV
35 minutes ago, Raimie said:

@ahopkinsTXi I wish I got a chance to surf the 25. I was disappointed in the 22mxz. My T22 wake feels a lot harder with the nice lip. I felt the 22mxz was 'soft'.

The event was great. The WLI was a much better venue. Thank you for all your efforts!

Hmm that's interesting. Wasn't my experience with the 22 but I am goofy. 

It was probably your driver though ;)

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Stevo said:

It does look soft in the pic, not much of a lip, do you know how it was weighted?

props for getting out there. 

Not sure, it had the custom bags. I know they wedge was backed off a little, everything else full. We had a decent sized crew as well. The boat took a long time to get on plane...

Not only were there skiers, boarders and surfers at the Polar ski, the barefooter kind of stole the show.  Barefoot suit and NO drysuit so some exposed skin, including an awesome crash at the loading dock that got the deserving standing ovation.  Kudos and hopefully no major aches after that.  Nice job.

So it was you crazies out there! When my wife said there's someone behind a boat out on the lake, I said that's probably ahopkins behind his Malibu. Then I see multiple surfers behind that MXZ, I was like they're nuts! I mean, that's what I call, not warm. It looked like everyone was having a blast. Really made me miss summer.

• Like 1