Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone ski behind a 2017 21 VLX?

edwin

So I'm contemplating a new ride to replace my 05 RLXi.  While we could use some more room, what we really need is the added freeboard (esp in the nose).  The lake we use keeps getting rougher and rougher, making our boat a sunrise to 10:30am tool...then she sits on the lift the rest of the day.

The VTX is a bit small inside if we're going to make the jump, and the price point of the 2017 VLX is tough to beat.   My biggest concern is the slalom wake behind the boat.  I understand it will never be what I've had with the RLXi, but hoping to get a decent open water tow.  I'm a few weeks away from a test drive in some frigid water.  Any experience behind the VLX 21 diamond hull and a skinny stick would be greatly appreciated!

tnx

edwin

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I have not personally skied it. But it we have on for our polar bear tomorrow I will give it a shot. 

That is, if I can dragged away from the 2017 TXi ;)

Coming soon to a MalibuCrew thread near you:  What colors should I choose for my 2017 TXi build ?  - @ahopkinsTXi

• Like 4
4 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I have not personally skied it. But it we have on for our polar bear tomorrow I will give it a shot. 

That is, if I can dragged away from the 2017 TXi ;)

I'd love to hear your thoughts if you can take a set or two.

• Like 1
On 12/2/2016 at 8:12 AM, ahopkinsTXi said:

You have no idea how much I want to and I haven't even seen it in person!

So... Seems like you enjoyed the TXi, when is the order going in?  :Tease3:

Also, did you ski/surf the 21VLX?  Still waiting to hear some real world experience on that boat and OP would probably like your feedback as well.  Our dealer here in Madison won't get one until the spring... So I can't even climb around one yet.

ahopkins22LSV

Lol no order!

And no I did not, we didn't have one in the water. From my friends that have surfed they were pretty impressed. It's not the 25 or 23 obviously but for the price it's a very nice wave and boat.

On 12/1/2016 at 9:47 PM, edwin said:

So I'm contemplating a new ride to replace my 05 RLXi.  While we could use some more room, what we really need is the added freeboard (esp in the nose).  The lake we use keeps getting rougher and rougher, making our boat a sunrise to 10:30am tool...then she sits on the lift the rest of the day.

The VTX is a bit small inside if we're going to make the jump, and the price point of the 2017 VLX is tough to beat.   My biggest concern is the slalom wake behind the boat.  I understand it will never be what I've had with the RLXi, but hoping to get a decent open water tow.  I'm a few weeks away from a test drive in some frigid water.  Any experience behind the VLX 21 diamond hull and a skinny stick would be greatly appreciated!

tnx

edwin

Bit confused. You could use some more room but freeboard is biggest issue. VTX has lots more interior room than your '05 and has the freeboard of the Queen Mary II. Seems that'd fit the bill? It's the "skiable" VD... Supposedly... 

5 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Bit confused. You could use some more room but freeboard is biggest issue. VTX has lots more interior room than your '05 and has the freeboard of the Queen Mary II. Seems that'd fit the bill? It's the "skiable" VD... Supposedly... 

Put the VTX next to the 21 VLX...there's a sizable difference between the two.  My wife is of the opinion that if we're going to spend the dough, we need to get something that's going to last us for a very long time.  I'd be more than fine with the VTX but she's been in both of these boats  in the last week.  If it were up to her, we'd be getting a LSV23 or MC X30.  

Another significant factor is that when comparing new vs new, the VLX is very attractively priced against the VTX.