Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wetsounds 420 wiring to keep factory volume control

hethj7

Okay, picked up my WS420 and am trying to plan out the wiring.   It seems most take output from the blackbox "front" then distribute to the amps, but you lose factory volume control this way, correct?  

Is there a way to wire in the 420 and keep my factory master volume control?  I don't like the thought of having a fancy touch screen, sport knob, and command wheel all with volume control but not being able to use it.   That is one function I use often on the command wheel.   

If you take the Front out from the black box, you retain all sport knob / command wheel functionality. The only thing you lose is fade. 

Edited by pauley71
33 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

but you lose factory volume control this way, correct? 

No, not at all, as long as the BB is still your music source. Now, if you bypass the BB and take your digital media right into the EQ, then yes, you loose the auto volume or any other audio system commands through the Maliview. 

One last question, I think.   So, do you keep the master volume on the 420 all the way up and then use the boat as the master?   I'd only use the 420 for the zone control in terms of volume.  

On 11/30/2016 at 7:32 PM, hethj7 said:

One last question, I think.   So, do you keep the master volume on the 420 all the way up and then use the boat as the master?   I'd only use the 420 for the zone control in terms of volume.  

Yes. that is correct. You can also us the 420's volume knob as a hard volume limiter for the Malibu volume knob if you have concerns about anyone cranking the main volume knob, or transom remote all the way up and possibly damaging speakers. 

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bring this back up but the boat  is coming out of storage soon and I have a dumb question - how many RCAs do I need for the install?  I assume all factory ones are in the passenger compartment between the black box and amp and too short to re-use, so I will need 4 total to get signal to WS420 at the helm and then take the tower, sub, and cabin signals back to the amps, right?  

correct. You need 4 stereo pairs. One in from the BB to the 420 and 3 pair returning to amps for tower, sub and in-boat.If using multiple amps to drive a single zone, make the split as close to the amps as possible or jumpers from a pass-thru.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright, need help.  I am sure it is something simple but I have power to the WS, power to the amps, my rca runs straight from the WS420 to the amps and the front out from the black box to the input on the WS420.  I have Malibu Bluetooth playing, but no sound.  Volume is up on the WS as well as the boat for now.  What am I missing.  Fader on the 7" screen is set all to the front.