Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wetsounds SD6 amp Question

Hiifive

Hey everyone!!

Looking to do some upgrades to my stereo this winter. I came across a good deal on a SD6 and now wondering what the next step is.  Currently I have 4 6x9 speakers (60 w RMS each currently,  looking to upgrade 6x9's to 130 Rms each in near future) in the boat and a 10"  (450 w RMS ) enclosed sub. My questions can I use four channels to run the 6x9's and the remaining 2 channels to run the Sub? Sorry if this seems to be a dumb question, but  I am very new to this whole 12v stereo stuff.

1 hour ago, Hiifive said:

in the boat and a 10"  (450 w RMS ) enclosed sub.

Why a 10"? Stepping up to a 12" in that boat should be super easy. There would be little cost difference between a 12" woofer and a 10" of the same series. The enclosure needs of the 12" would be very close to those of the 10". 

You could also drive a pair of two of tower speakers with the SD-6. 2 pair in-boats on 2 chnls, woofer bridged on 2 and remaining 2 for tower speakers. 

15 hours ago, MLA said:

You could also drive a pair of two of tower speakers with the SD-6. 2 pair in-boats on 2 chnls, woofer bridged on 2 and remaining 2 for tower speakers. 

Thanks for the suggestion MLA!  Correct me if I'm wrong though, what you suggest could only be done with the current 4-60w rms 6x9's in the cabin already. If I up grade to 4-130w rms 6x9's that would be too much on this channels correct? 

4 hours ago, Hiifive said:

Thanks for the suggestion MLA!  Correct me if I'm wrong though, what you suggest could only be done with the current 4-60w rms 6x9's in the cabin already. If I up grade to 4-130w rms 6x9's that would be too much on this channels correct? 

If I understand your question, no it would not be.  The speakers do not require a specific power to run (or draw a specific amount)...

4 hours ago, Hiifive said:

The speaker's wattage spec does not determine any load on the amp, but rather the speaker's nominal impedance. So, if your current 60W rms and future 130W rms speaker are both 4 ohm, the amp will never now the difference between them. However, the speaker with the higher power handling, will allow you to make use of more of the amp's available wattage. 

• Like 1