Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu response in salt water

evanlaczi

I am bringing my fresh water 98 Malibu response lx to Long Island. It will be in salt water. What do I have to do to prep for salt water? Thanks! 

Carb 350

v8

@evanlaczi:  Corrosion protection is the key, trailer and closed cooling as noted.  You might contact a Long Island or coastal dealership to get their take.  Even though a Nautique guy, a BOS (Ball of Spray website) member (Jody Seal, Florida Inboards) is very helpful and insightful to people on the BOS forum and has a repair shop in Florida so he would know a lot about salt water prep.  Worth a phone call.

17 hours ago, evanlaczi said:

I am bringing my fresh water 98 Malibu response lx to Long Island. It will be in salt water. What do I have to do to prep for salt water? Thanks! 

Carb 350

v8

Do you mean just for the day or permanently?

I've had three boats that were all used mostly in salt and I have never had a problem with corrosion from salt water in the engine. The trailer, in the other hand is what gets wrecked. 

For the boat, the key is to not let any salt water in. Have everyone dry off before getting into the boat and remove all the water you can from your gear before putting them in the racks. I also bring a big tub to put wet jackets into. 

Also, flush the engine soon after pulling the boat out with salt away. As for extra protection, you could spray WD all over the engine and engine mounts before launching the boat. Then wipe it clean at the end of the day. 

I would also fix any water leaks you might have. 

As as for the trailer, if it's a steel powder coated tube trailer, make sure your rinse it off with fresh water right after you launch and retrieve the boat. A lot of ocean launch ramps have fresh water taps to wash your stuff off, Just bring a hose. This will save your trailer if your only planning on going into salt a couple times. If it's going to be on the regular, a galvanized trailer is a must. I would also, pull your lugs and apply some marine grade anti seize. 

Your boat will be fine going into salt, just as long as your throughly clean it after. 

I also just remembered, if you have any aluminum powder coated fixtures such as a tower or boom on your boat, touch up and nicks in the powder coat with nail polish or a small paint brush. If the salt air gets under the powder coating, it will start to lift it and will flame off. It won't happen right away, but months after if you continually run In salt water. 

Like MI boarder asks, one day or permanent.  I grew up on salt water and still have a boat and trailer that has spent 47 years in salt water.  Don't let folks who have never been in salt water scare you, it is not the best, but still not that bad.  A little seasoning will not hurt you.  If you go to "pictures of your boat on the water", my 47 year old salty dog boat is on pg 79.  Only on its 2nd motor which was new in 1988 and has close to 1200 hrs on it.  I will tell you more if you reply.

Edited by electricjohn
where is williamsville?
  • 8 months later...