Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

educate me - barefooting

bamabonners

21 minutes ago, Webfooter said:

Michigan boarder - I liked it, but you are limited with the tower boom. This setup was on a friend's Sanger DXII and the spray is no issue with the Sanger and this set up, however I believe the only limitation to it is the height adjustment. There is some adjustment, but not as much as you would with your ECI. We have an ECI on our Response and I like the fact that I can change the boom height to match my skiers ability. We use the two foot extension on ours to get us out of the spray on the Response.

I didn't know you could get an extension, I've looked everywhere.  Where did you get yours?

Sorry OP, a little off topic, but really important!

Just now, Michigan boarder said:

I didn't know you could get an extension, I've looked everywhere.  Where did you get yours?

Sorry OP, a little off topic, but really important!

BI sells extensions, for and ECI, have a machine shop make one. Don't know if they are made specifically for ECI.  The extensions go between the two pieces.  Usually the same size as the big diameter section.

4 hours ago, bamabonners said:

I'm looking for a boom, not just for barefoot, but to teach beginners skiers, etc....  Which one do you guys recommend?

I bought mine used immediately after I bought my boat.  It came off of another Echelon, and I got a decent deal on it (from the Crew!!), so I knew it would fit (I was an inboard newbie).  If buying new, I'd get a Barefoot International.  I think.  Does anyone know if they make them so the height adjusts easily now?  The ECI has a pressure clamp that makes it like a 1 second process to adjust.

• Like 2

BFI also makes a great pair of shoes to wear for footing.. It slows down your speed required to foot... I use them occasionally (more when water conditions are choppy and to long line behind my 23lsv)... They take away part of the rush.... but are good learning aids IMO... I learned from a Pro 2 years ago... He would advise me not to stand on my first 3-4 outings.. just practiced tumble ups and butt riding.... I did not fall the first time I got up... but the falls do happen... you will also learn to fall.. and when you do you will notice that falling barefooting is less painfull than strapped into a wakeboard missing a trick or catching an edge:whistle:... 

12 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Does anyone know if they make them so the height adjusts easily now?  

Yes BI has a height adjuster, IMO its a must, very very very easy to adjust.

Scroll down two thirds of the page on the below link.

http://barefootinternational.com/BOOMS.bifh

PM me your email and i can shot you some pics of my setup!

Just now, kerpluxal said:

and when you do you will notice that falling barefooting is less painfull than strapped into a wakeboard missing a trick or catching an edge:whistle:... 

And that why i recommend learning to tuck into the all but one Fetal Position... as soon as you can.... :footing:

• Like 2

I would also advise a pair of shoe skis. As said you can slow down and handle water conditions, learn how to swing out on a short handle before hitting 40 mph on your feet.  The boom is great for all ages. Try to keep body position as you were sitting in a chair and keep your hips forward. Keep your knees together and your feet in a slight snow plow, which will push the water out of your face. Do not look down as your hips will drift back.  Barefoot int makes a padded pair of shorts which will allow you to skim on your butt to rest. When sitting keep the handle buried in your hips and bend your knees and slowly put your feet back in the water just forward of your butt, do not try to stab or be straight leg. When starting on the boom I drag till about 20 mph, at this speed you rotate to your side, and swing your butt and feet around with your knees pointed back. This keeps your hip from catching water. Same for tumble turns, as you rotate around butt and feet first and knees last. I happened to be a freind of Mike Sipiel and learned from him in the 80's when he had a ski school at Lazy M marina close to Discovery Bay, Ca. Still footin at 63 years old. Smile as the pain will go away!!!

• Like 1

This thread has been making me excited to go barefooting again.  Last time I did it I was 17 off the boom.  Planning to get a boom this spring for my Tantrum can't wait.

• Like 3

In case anyone is apprehensive....here's my 11 year old daughter footing last summer, in a wetsuit shorty and ski vest.  If an 11 year old girl can do it.....

2016 Katie barefooting.jpg

• Like 3

Also, for full disclosure, here's what happens when your driver turns sharply at the end of the lake and you try to hang on with a 100' line.  It looked much worse for a while...

2016 John black eye resized.jpg

1 hour ago, Michigan boarder said:

Also, for full disclosure, here's what happens when your driver turns sharply at the end of the lake and you try to UNSUCCESSFULLY hang on with a 100' line.  It looked much worse for a while...

I corrected the line for you. :whistle:

5 minutes ago, footndale said:

I corrected the line for you. :whistle:

Ha, yes, thank you!  We actually discussed it ahead of time, and I thought she'd back off the throttle but I get on her so much about lack of speed hurting me more than too much speed, so she just stayed on it.  I was doing fine, then really quickly picked up speed from 40 to 60 and climbing and went from footing forwards to footing sideways to WHAM-----WHAM-WHAM-WHAM---slide, slide, sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide....cough, cough.....systems check.....barefoot suit completely unzipped..........vision funny...........I think I'm done for the day.

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, asp13 said:

Anyone turn the boat hard and drag the boom in the lake? I always thought it would do some damage? Can you only turn 1 direction when the boom is on?

If you or anybody else is footin, you shouldn't be power turning in either direction. Rollers are not a barefooter's friend! I have never seen a boom buried at speed during a turn, not sure I want to.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, asp13 said:

Anyone turn the boat hard and drag the boom in the lake? I always thought it would do some damage? Can you only turn 1 direction when the boom is on?

I do not think inboards pitch as much as an outboard or I/O.  Our turns are pretty sharp, and it's almost impossible to hang on if she turns into the boom and the spray from my feet has everything wet from the engine cover back, at 40mph.  I never felt like the boom was dipping down, it stays pretty level.

So to answer the second question - you can turn in either direction with a boom on. 

Just remember it's on when approaching a pier so you don't make a clean sweep of the occupants.

Edit: do NOT

Edit again: Shortline, that is.

Edited by Michigan boarder
17 hours ago, asp13 said:

Certainly that is not preferred, but it has happened before with no problems.  You'll learn real quick to turn the opposite way.

"Ha, yes, thank you!  We actually discussed it ahead of time, and I thought she'd back off the throttle but I get on her so much about lack of speed hurting me more than too much speed, so she just stayed on it."

@Michigan boarder:  You certainly must know the definition of 'assume' and since you appear to have mentioned your significant other, have you forgotten birthday, anniversary, flowers, etc,  prior to this event?

@asp13:  as noted, the boom dip does not create a lot of force so not a traumatic event, also as noted, a tourney boat does not lean very much so you can actually execute a boom-side turn (gradual being preferred) although it usually is not ideal for the person hanging on as the boom does dip a fair amount simply due to geometry, much better to do it the other way.  Normally one tends to go straight but there are times when you need to make a turn if the footer simply stays on and the end of lake is approaching.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Woodski said:

@Michigan boarder:  You certainly must know the definition of 'assume' and since you appear to have mentioned your significant other, have you forgotten birthday, anniversary, flowers, etc,  prior to this event?

Very eloquently put!

Sorry Michigan, just couldn't resist.