Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

educate me - barefooting

bamabonners

Bama,  Well first off start on a boom, no need to worry about the wake, just make sure you have

water that's glass, and Two... A MUST!  Video the whole production and post, so we all here at the TMC can enjoy the entertainment. ..:Tease3:

as I know I as others have provided some.

But all in all..... What can I say!.. it's a Rush, the Thrill and challange!

But be prepared 

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/48549-no-so-graceful-first-foot/&/topic/48549-no-so-graceful-first-foot/?hl=graceful

Edited by Dare2goBare
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, bamabonners said:

What makes a barefoot boat a barefoot boat?  Same with wake.... what makes a barefoot wake?  I'm really wanting to try it next year...

Barefoot boat needs to pull a barefooter at least 45mph with 5 people in the boat. The curl needs to be firm and well defined so it is easy to fell during tricks and slalom runs. The area between the curls should be firm and smooth as possible. The boat should  be able to pull a skier out of the water rather quickly too.

Now for the rec barefooter, any boat will pretty much do. As long as the pull is fairly quick and the curl is firm, you can barefoot for every. If learning, a barefoot boom is the best way with a good instructor.  Fly me down in spring, I'll teach you. :)

4 hours ago, footndale said:

Fly me down in spring, I'll teach you. :)

Me too!!!   Love good entertainment. ..lol.... :cheers:  oh.,, hummm I mean I'll teach you too!

On a side note, your barefooting speed is relitive to your weight,  take it, devide by 10 and add 20.

Example.  200 lbs.  200÷10=20,  +20=40 Mph. Give or take 1Mph depending on your foot size! For beginner go up, hardens the water, less likely to catch a toe.

Belive me once you've done it, you'll be hooked! And like footndale also mentioned,  Learn off a boom, no shortline,  alot less, well You Know! Lol..

Check out this thread that JB-FOOT started, you'll see it all!

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/45371-post-your-barefoot-videos-here/#entry830612

Edited by Dare2goBare

I provided free entertainment with lots of laughter to the people in the boat until I figured it out this summer. It took me 3 or 4 attempts and some bruising until I finally got it.  I just did it off the boom. I might try it next summer off the long line. 

I'll chime in some suggestions:

1. Definitely invest in a boom.  You can use it for tons of other stuff too, teaching people to wakeboard, ski, foot, etc.  Makes everything sooo much easier
  2. You need a wetsuit (at a minimum).  When you stand up at 40mph, there will be spray coming off of your feet pretty hard.  If you haven't lost your swim trucks by now, the full force of that water hitting your stuff will probably make you let go.  So at LEAST get a shorty wet suit that you can wear with a life vest, if you are not willing to commit to the barefoot suit.
  3. When you stand up, angle your feet outwards, knees in a little bit.  It will direct the flow out and not at the above mentioned nether regions.
  4. I always tell my kids to never let go of the boom.  If your feet come out from under you (while on the boom), hang on tight, drag for a second or two, and swing yourself back around.  If you let go your face is going in the water.  Only let go when you are controlling your fall.
  5. Directly off the boom is fun, but shortline is a BLAST.  It feels amazing.  Long line is cool too, but I haven't perfected it enough to enjoy it yet.

Here's one from our show ski team during our last show, that's me zipping past the crowd with "Highway to the Danger Zone" blaring over our PA.  I caught a small wake right in front of the stands and did the ol' double somersault.

2016 Art Prize fundraiser 2.jpg

• Like 2

@bamabonners:  As noted above, good power for acceleration and speed (particularly when on long line), a good wake and minimal spray off sides for boom footing.  The SV23 hull and particularly '93-06 Malibu Echelon, Sportster, Response LX & LXI variants have very good barefoot wakes.  Not quite Flightcraft or any of the early - mid '90's barefoot specific outboard boats from Malibu, MC, CC but for the inboard offerings better than most any other than Sanger.  An additional suggestion, some instruction from any of the barefoot clinics will cut learning curve, pain level and provide a wealth of tips that may take you years to learn w/o instruction.  Good luck, have fun and don't forget to stop at drug store for antihistamine!

3 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

Yes, I recommend a 24 pack.

And don't forget the Robaxin & or Advil, they'll come in very handy!

Michigan,  great pic by the way!

4 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

2016 Art Prize fundraiser 2.jpg

Michigan if you can get an opertunity to long line off a tower or better yet tower with a fligh high you'll notice a major difference .

again great picture.

10 minutes ago, Dare2goBare said:

Michigan if you can get an opertunity to long line off a tower or better yet tower with a fligh high you'll notice a major difference .

again great picture.

Thanks!  That's our team 2016 TXi right there too.  I love that shot.  I like how I'm still in the shade and the boat is in the sun.

I've gone from my tower on my Echelon and from a buddies Illusion on his 23LSV.  So far I struggle with all of them, but, I'm getting there.  Being part of an act in a show really motivates you to get good at it.  I have to be consistent, and that's gonna happen this year.  My team is counting on it!  Barefooters are tough to keep around on the team, ear drum blowouts, back issues, etc.  My turn.

The boom is a training tool that either connects directly to the boom or to the ski pylon. It makes it much easier for the skier to listen to commands from the boat and as you progress, you can move from holding directly to the pipe to adding a 5 foot extension and handle. This is my son and myself below.

Back toe.jpg

IMG_0268-1.jpg

• Like 2

Barefooting since 1968 (12 years old) Just joking cause I never used a boom.  Learned the hard way behind a 1962 runabout with a 50 hp.  Self taught. I have a picture posted in the "barefoot videos" thread from 1974 footing in salt water. 60 years old now and I still foot once or twice a summer.  Mainly by step out. 

And that's my daughters in the avatar.  Third generation show skiers.

Edited by electricjohn
  • Like 2

Webfooter - how do you like that tower boom?  I've been thinking of selling my pylon mounted Skylon/ECI boom and getting a tower boom.  Would put me a little more forward and away from the spray, would allow me to purchase an extension, and would allow me to go on driver's or passenger side.  Is there a downside to them?

25 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Webfooter - how do you like that tower boom?  I've been thinking of selling my pylon mounted Skylon/ECI boom and getting a tower boom.  Would put me a little more forward and away from the spray, would allow me to purchase an extension, and would allow me to go on driver's or passenger side.  Is there a downside to them?

Michigan boarder - I liked it, but you are limited with the tower boom. This setup was on a friend's Sanger DXII and the spray is no issue with the Sanger and this set up, however I believe the only limitation to it is the height adjustment. There is some adjustment, but not as much as you would with your ECI. We have an ECI on our Response and I like the fact that I can change the boom height to match my skiers ability. We use the two foot extension on ours to get us out of the spray on the Response.