Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

650 or 1000 on top of bow hard tank

Big_Moose_Wakesetter

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I've been reading through ballast threads for months getting ready to add locker sacs, a bow sac and 3 reversible pumps via Wakemakers' Black Friday sale.

I've got a 2005 VLX with only stock ballast including the 300lb bow hard tank.  I'll be adding the Wakemakers LBS 910lb sacs to the lockers. I was planning to put a triangle sac on top of the flat seat in the bow. Options are the older 650lb Sumo, the newer 675lb sumo or the 1000lb FlyHigh. Kind of figured 650 was plenty but decided I'd ask for input before I pull the trigger. Thanks!!!

If you are going with the 910s you will probably regret going with the 650 as that much weight in the rear will probably induce a lot of bow rise. Granted I have an LSV, but I am seriously considering going to a 1000 from a 750. I have had all FH gear for years and really like their products. 

Edited by wdr

I added the same wakemakers bags in my LSV this last year and found that 1000 lbs in the bow triangle, on top of stock bow tank, was too much weight up front. So now I just fill the bow sac 2/3s full, and would by a 650-750 bow triangle if I did it again.

3 hours ago, wdr said:

If you are going with the 910s you will probably regret going with the 650 as that much weight in the rear will probably induce a lot of bow rise. Granted I have an LSV, but I am seriously considering going to a 1000 from a 750. I have had all FH gear for years and really like their products. 

Thank you both for the input! wdr - do you have have a hard tank plus a 750 in the bow?

2011 with 650 up front + stock bow tank and 900's + stock in rear and I found that its to much in the rear, however, I am almost dipping the nose now so no more up front. I am ordering 750's or 800's for the rear. with a power wedge it will be plenty even for the best riders.

2 hours ago, Big_Moose_Wakesetter said:

Thank you both for the input! wdr - do you have have a hard tank plus a 750 in the bow?

Yep, running the 750 "near busting full", as close to the surf side (starboard) as I can get it on top of the seat. I have a section of Schedule 40 PVC cut to the height of the front tank hole cut out and set in it so it won't collapse the front tank as well. I am also dragging my 45 qt cooler in between the walk way to try and add some weight as well. I still think I could use a little more weight up there to get a little more length. I can't complain though my wave is great with one surfer and I was surfing 2 people on the same wave last year also. I haven't run into the bow dipping unless my wife or some other newb is driving. I just shut it off and let the wave pass and turn around and pick up the surfer, no problem. If I go 1000 I will definately have to give new driving lessons! Having said all that, I don't run 2 -910s, only an 1100 surf side, full MLS and a suck gate with the wedge adjusted to the board and surfer preference.

Edited by wdr