Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 G23 vs. 2017 24MXZ

Jennifer

25 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

If there is an aux pump for the heater on open cooling engines it will work just as well as closedcooling engines. Just need to get the water circulating to the heater core.  FWIW. 

I'm not so sure about this BICBW

My MP LS3 operating temp was much higher than both the MC and the G23.  I never measured the temperature coming out of the vents but my wife complained 25% less of the time in the LSV. 

Do all closed cooling motors in these tow boats run at higher operating temps?  If so, I would be surprised if open cooling based heaters could keep up.  

2 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

My MP LS3 operating temp was much higher than both the MC and the G23.  I never measured the temperature coming out of the vents but my wife complained 25% less of the time in the LSV. 

Do all closed cooling motors in these tow boats run at higher operating temps?  If so, I would be surprised if open cooling based heaters could keep up.  

My Indmar ls3, with salt series full closed cooling runs right at 165°. That seams to be in par with regular raw water cooled engines. 

Just my guess, but i would imagine that throwing in a higher temp thermostat, would require a slightly different tune, which would be impractical for the amount of closed cooling vs raw water cooled engines. 

Just now, kx250frider617 said:

My Indmar ls3, with salt series full closed cooling runs right at 165°. That seams to be in par with regular raw water cooled engines. 

Just my guess, but i would imagine that throwing in a higher temp thermostat, would require a slightly different tune, which would be impractical for the amount of closed cooling vs raw water cooled engines. 

Maybe it was just my MP LS3 then.  That sucker ran at 180 degrees and the heater was TOASTY!!  

ahopkins22LSV
12 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

I'm sure that is a factory. I know the raptors run at 160. But open water cooling engine heaters suck at idle because there is little to no water circulation to the heater core from the engine water pump. 

In a boat with an aux pump or a wye pipe, like ours it cranks heat at idle and at speed. Maybe the aux pump isn't standard on the G and yours doesn't have it? :Tease3:

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
1 hour ago, TallRedRider said:

My G23 with the H6 seems to have a perfectly functioning heater.  Even at idle speeds.  It seems not worse than the ZR450 I had before it which had partial closed cooling.   It is as good as any heater in any boat I have owned.  I had to do the heater hose reroute mod to my 2006 Malibu so it would stay warm when idling.

The G23 I demo'd had a much better heater then my 2016 VLX.

• 4 months later...

If anyone still sees this thread I have a question.. when you receive delivery of your boat, and they go over every aspect of the boat in the water should you tip?  I mean I know it's the service of the dealership but our guy probably spent 2 hours with us and has made himself available to answer calls or texts if we ever have trouble.  He also had a 2 hour haul one way, but I realize that comes with the territory.. but What is customary? 

Honestly, the thought never crossed my mind to tip them.  It was made clear to me this was part of the service. Our guy obviously wanted to hang out and spend more time with us on the boat.  And it was a 2 hour haul as well.  He seemed to think it was the best part of the job being the delivery guy.

Edited by Slurpee

Hey there!  We got the MXZ, in love with it already but haven't had much of a chance to spend any time in it!  This weekend hopefully... 

On the tipping, no one mentioned it, I've never heard of it being done but I just got to wondering.  

How do I attach a photo? 

I honestly wouldn't tip the delivery guy except it comes down to the fact that he's also servicing the boat/your boat ...  with the marina I'm going to I always leave a tip to the guy who does the maintenance but I also have access to the shop so I can do it in person except I'm picking boat up after hours or something - then I leave it with the service manager.  The service manager gets a bottle of wine each time I show up - except that he's not drinking wine but his wife was and now no longer can/allowed to so I have to figure out what to do here.

But overall after taking delivery of a new boat (expensive boat) - the sales person got his commission and should be good and if the delivery is done by someone else - not my problem.  You're not tipping the guy at the car dealer ship explaining you the new car either ...

However if the whole thing is related to an incident and they come out, fix boat there or pick it up and return it ... well then I would tip as this is awesome service and saves me a ton of time ...

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't tip. When I worked for a 'Bu dealer, I felt like a million bucks knowing someone else trusted my abilities to safely transport their boat from point A to point B!

Hi all, was wondering if @DarkSide has had any problems on his new centurion, and what common problems arise in ALL boats. I will be in the market here soon for one so would love to try to figure out the most bang for your buck. I am into wakeboarding, but my fiancee is into surfing so we all know which way this will go HAHA!

Thanks,

Nick

Of course Malibu, best brand, best resale, most innovative, looks best on water, best dealer network, they even come with free zip ties and a few nuts and bolts.:)

All joking aside they all will have little items come up, demo what you are interested in.  Imho all the wake boats these days are dang nice and all make a really nice product.  It really comes down to your brand preference, what you want to do with the boat and your dealer relationship. 

That being said Malibu does sell the #1 selling boat of all time...23 LSV:thumbup: and 2018 looks even better for this model! Just sayin'!

Edited by Fman

@noen,

I am currently just over 60 hours and have only had one item of any significance.  My exhaust flapper retaining bolt broke,  leaving no barrier between the lake and my engine.  So that did not work out so well.  Boat was repaired and back in my possession within the same week.  Hence great dealer support is important.

I also had a trailer light go out and a ballast pump ground wire came loose,   i have not came accross any tie wraps, bolts, etc...lol

All things considered absolutely loving it.  Demo and choose based on your needs.   The 257 is a surf beast, and produces a nice intermediate/advanced wakeboard wake, beginner not so much.  It does not do small wakes.  I think the new FI series will be much more balanced, as a crossover boat.  

Go out and demo... it will become obvious fairly quick what you like/ don't like.   Make a note of how you use the boat, as that will help narrow the field.   Do you have people that like to ride in the bow? If so a boat that needs giant bow bag, is likely not a good fit.   Do you have kids that want to learn to wakeboard, other boats won't fit as well.  

Feel free to PM if you want more info, as this is TMC i will limit the public awesomeness!

Happy hunting!