Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 G23 vs. 2017 24MXZ

Jennifer

Just now, IXFE said:

First... Malibu doesn't make an MKZ, but Lincoln does! :frantic:

Second... there's more to a hull redesign than just running surface. The 2014 was deeper and absolutely heavier than the 2013. Also, the surf gates themselves were enlarged and reshaped (i.e. optimized to work together). This was the first time Malibu had a chance to design a new boat in the Surf Gate era. It was the first of a long line of such redesigns (followed by 22 VLX, 25 LSV, 20 VTX, etc). Malibu never designed the original MXZ line with surfing in mind as it was conceived and introduced back in 2011. That's all I was referring to. 

Since you like to make corrections the 2014 "is deeper "not "was" because it still is. However deeper in regards to the freeboard above the water line which makes no difference to the displacement of water as the draft is still 27" and apparently the extra weight did not make the boat sit any deeper in the water or they just got the draft measurement wrong a long with the weight. 

3 minutes ago, wheelman said:

Since you like to make corrections the 2014 "is deeper "not "was" because it still is. However deeper in regards to the freeboard above the water line which makes no difference to the displacement of water as the draft is still 27" and apparently the extra weight did not make the boat sit any deeper in the water or they just got the draft measurement wrong a long with the weight. 

I spoke of the 2014 in the past tense because that particular model is 3 years old now and the redesign itself occurred in the past. But that's cool, I deserve to be nit picked (even though my MKZ comment was clearly a joke). 

I'm not sure why you're even questioning me on this. Go back and read what I wrote...

"It wasn't until 2014 that Malibu introduced the newer, heavier, deeper 23 LSV that the designs started to change..."

Exactly what about that statement is wrong?  

Just now, IXFE said:

I spoke of the 2014 in the past tense because that particular model is 3 years old now and the redesign itself occurred in the past. But that's cool, I deserve to be nit picked (even though my MKZ comment was clearly a joke). 

I'm not sure why you're even questioning me on this. Go back and read what I wrote...

"It wasn't until 2014 that Malibu introduced the newer, heavier, deeper 23 LSV that the designs started to change..."

Exactly what about that statement is wrong?  

Come on ixfe I knew  your comment was a joke as was mine, touché.  I know you have thicker skin than that. I just think that Malibu is falling a little behind the times especially in the  23lsv line and 22vlx line as a surf boat. Now maybe they are wanting to keep with the multi purpose boat in those lines , then my point is mute. When was the last time you parked your lsv beside a centurion, nautique? Supra, moomba, supreme, etc?  These new boats are dwarfing the malibus in heights. I know they have the m235 but they is a very small market share of their boats. Like the op said 95% of their time is surfing so why not look at all the best surf boats. I believe that is where the market is going more and more every year and if so that will have an impact on what will help drive the resale market and keep the prices up on the best surf boats out there. I was malibus biggest fan and when I had my centurion all I ever wanted was to be in a Malibu for their styling and fit and finish was so far a head of everyone else. Now the other guys have upped their games and have brought some better dimensions to their boats that will give Malibu a run for their money. 

1 hour ago, wheelman said:

The centurion ram fills are now flawless. When they first came out they had an issue with the valves, not unlike any new product to the market. They have now been changed and retrofitted and anymore issues are unheard of over 1000 hours. I owned a 06 Enzo for 5 years and never once had it in the shop for a repair. Same boat still hasn't been in the shop for a repair with the current owner. Have multiple centurions on my lake and they also have been flawless. As for resale to say you know @IXFE is a load of bull because I know directly of a 2016 that just sold for more than I can buy a 2017 for. Also where are you guys getting your prices from that a ri is same money than a G? That's just ridiculous. Don't know who has been quoting you guys on ri's but they are less money that a Malibu 23lsv. Darkside was just giving another example of a great boat to throw into the mix for the op to consider. The Malibu kool aid is very strong today my friends. Ixfe must be in negotiations for his new Malibu and that post just got him another 5% off!  

Most of what I know about Ri pricing I know from @DarkSide himself. Even his post in this thread confirms Ri237 is vastly more expensive than 23 LSV. I've also discussed Ri pricing with others in the market and Fineline directly. 

As far as me and my situation... I've had my 2017 pricing locked since last summer (the day the price guide came out). I don't owe squat to anybody. I post it how I see it.  I've been plenty critical of Malibu over the years, you just choose not to notice. If I was in the tank for Malibu I'd have told the OP to pick the 24 MXZ. Did I do that?  Nope. To be honest, I'd probably pick the G23, but it would be a tough call (I demo'd both the same week, have you?) I'm certainly not the first on this forum to question Centurion resale. And I have my own regional data points to back it up. You think I'm a Malibu snob?  Bulls***. I know more people at Fineline than I do at Malibu. And trust me... even they know they have a resale problem.  

That said, resale is not a big factor to many people. Obviously it is for me. 

• Like 2

I will add one more point to the resale problem.  i believe it is more in the upper levels than the mid tier boats.

Exibit A http://www.onlyinboards.com/2016-Malibu-M235-the-best-boat--for-sale-Cleveland-Tennessee-61979.aspx

The 23LSV does better than most, but as boats get more and more expensive the most expensive models take a larger hit as there is much less demand for a $120k+ used wakeboat.  Do you buy a used 25LSV or a NEW 23LSV?   

I have a friend locally that has owned 6 supreme/centurion since 2012.  He buys them puts +/- 100 hours on then upgrades.  He has only lost money twice.  However he also gets better pricing than most BECAUSE he has bought  6 new boats since 2012.   That said he will take a loss on his last boat 2016 RI237, not coincidentally the most expensive boat Centurion produced last year.

A huge portion of the loss is determined at the purchase!  This is because some dealers are happy making a smaller margin frequently, and other dealers have set margins...take it or leave it.  

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, DarkSide said:

I will add one more point to the resale problem.  i believe it is more in the upper levels than the mid tier boats.

Exibit A http://www.onlyinboards.com/2016-Malibu-M235-the-best-boat--for-sale-Cleveland-Tennessee-61979.aspx

The 23LSV does better than most, but as boats get more and more expensive the most expensive models take a larger hit as there is much less demand for a $120k+ used wakeboat.  Do you buy a used 25LSV or a NEW 23LSV?   

I have a friend locally that has owned 6 supreme/centurion since 2012.  He buys them puts +/- 100 hours on then upgrades.  He has only lost money twice.  However he also gets better pricing than most BECAUSE he has bought  6 new boats since 2012.   That said he will take a loss on his last boat 2016 RI237, not coincidentally the most expensive boat Centurion produced last year.

A huge portion of the loss is determined at the purchase!  This is because some dealers are happy making a smaller margin frequently, and other dealers have set margins...take it or leave it.  

I agree to an extent. Certainly the more expensive a boat gets the tougher the quick resale will be because generally speaking people who want high end boats are more likely to be able to just buy new. But it's not that simple (nothing ever is).  

Case in point... there are plenty of people flipping G23's successfully, so that boat seems to be an exception. 

Despite your experience, I believe you can flip 24 MXZ's... @thtrog did it. You just put too many upgrades into yours. It's like owning the biggest house in a neighborhood then over improving it... that guy always gets the shaft  

What about a 25 LSV... can that boat be flipped? I may do the unthinkable and try it this year :dontknow:

7 hours ago, DarkSide said:

YES!  It's funny because Wake boat owners are worse than truck owners when it comes to brand loyalty!    It doesn't matter which brand, owners are VERY brand loyal.  Very few hop from brand to brand.

Just me and Bamaboy. We bounce around every which way, without caring. I even do part time work at a dealer for a competing brand :lol:

I have the same experience with initial quality. My MCs were the best. My Gs had a couple nit pick issues on each, but nothing big. My Bu was bad, but really only in one aspect..... The electronics. That said, it was a 2010 and it was different times.......every brand had frequent random issues with screens, and electronics. 

The only gel void issue I have ever had, was on my 2016 G23. There was a huge void in the deck assy, under the port side coffin seat.

Honestly, I think it's a waste of breath to compare design, quality, or resale on any of these new wakeboats. They are all ridiculously good. That said, I am not completely ignorant to market. 95% of this market is not selling to wake/wave purists, and the more recognizable brands do sell better. Centurion makes a great boat, but I would hate to try and flip one every year with a 100k+ price tag. I gotta agree with the view of @IXFE in that regard.

@DarkSide references a situation almost exactly like mine. And he is absolutely correct in stating that the ability to flip, is directly relative to the individual deal when the boat is purchased new. It also seems, in that case, his local friend has good luck reselling. I can't dispute that, but I certainly wouldn't want to try it in my area with a Centurion, Tige, Sanger, Axis, Supreme, etc...... IMO, and experience, if you are going to flip a boat in 1-3 year intervals....... Sticking to the wakeboat household names will net you the best results on resale.

10 hours ago, wheelman said:

The centurion ram fills are now flawless. When they first came out they had an issue with the valves, not unlike any new product to the market. They have now been changed and retrofitted and anymore issues are unheard of over 1000 hours. I owned a 06 Enzo for 5 years and never once had it in the shop for a repair. Same boat still hasn't been in the shop for a repair with the current owner. Have multiple centurions on my lake and they also have been flawless. As for resale to say you know @IXFE is a load of bull because I know directly of a 2016 that just sold for more than I can buy a 2017 for. Also where are you guys getting your prices from that a ri is same money than a G? That's just ridiculous. Don't know who has been quoting you guys on ri's but they are less money that a Malibu 23lsv. Darkside was just giving another example of a great boat to throw into the mix for the op to consider. The Malibu kool aid is very strong today my friends. Ixfe must be in negotiations for his new Malibu and that post just got him another 5% off!  

Both of the underlined are very incorrect.  Neither is close to being the case in my area and Dark already posted his Ri quotes are 25k more than a 23LSV.  

That said, an 06 anything isn't comparable to the challenges and technology these boats are now faced with.  Were you throwing 5000#s in your 06?  Of course not.  It was probably a 350 mercruiser with no electronics.  Couldn't be more apples and oranges.

Look if Dark has a great experience with his new boat, that's great.  But this is the first I've seen anyone throwing Malibu quality under the bus and moving to a fineline product using quality as the justification.  That is not a knock on fineline.  Just first I've heard quality as the reason for the move.

• Like 3

I think anything can be flipped if you get good pricing on the front end.   I agree throg did flip one,  however he has also said he is/was in the Malibu promo pricing.  So that is a different situation than the average buyer is in.  Same with my friend locally,  he gets better pricing than i do,  thus enabling the flip.   I did alao note he is losing on the Ri....

To be able to flip successfully you need a dealer who will work with you and is in it for the long game.  Making 9% 3 times is better than 18% once.  Not every dealer is willing to do this though. 

I also get that a dealer can't do this for everyone, but its also good for the dealer as well.  So when a dealer like AWS gets a customer like @IXFE they also benefit.  They get a good customer who is a brand promoter, (NOT A Fanoy).  So in the end everybody wins

8 hours ago, IXFE said:

. If Darkside is going to be that guy here in TMC then count me out. It ruined WW and it will ruin TMC. 

REALLY??? 

PLEASE go back and read the first 10 posts to this thread!   MY response was purely on topic.  In fact it was NWBU and isellacuras that brought up Centurion NOT ME!  

Then to go on a rant because i specifically respond to a direct question to me... 

In fairness i did contribute after Pandora's box was open but i was absolutly not the one who opened it!  

- That Guy

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 2

I'm confused :frantic:

Would @IXFE, @DarkSide, and @wheelman please summarize their positions in easy to understand bullet points?  It might not be as much fun to follow but they've done some research and it'll certainly help the OP or anyone else looking to drop some serious change on a new surf boat.

Now if October would ever end here in the Midwest we could start Winter activities and stop reading truck posts!

@IXFE I and very aware of all your posts and have enjoyed many of them and learned from some. Used your bow bag install for my 23lsv, thanks for that. That was why I posted what and how I did because I know you from your posts but obviously you do not know me, understandable, I do not post nearly as frequently as you. I was very involved in the centurion ri threads and have posted many times that I intend to make the switch   . As for derailing the op's thread I think suggesting a couple other options is far from that and to compare to wakeworld is quite the stretch.

@bamaboy my reference to ixfe promoting Malibu for his yearly great deal on a boat was nothing more than a joke that has been said on this forum many times in many threads, I thought any long term members would pick up on that. 

@85 Barefoot I can only talk about the dozen or so centurions that I know of on my lake with guys that put 200+ hours on a year with no major problems. In regards to price I will leave that one alone and just feel very good about the what I am paying for mine. Like everyone is agreeing on it's not so much what you resell it for as to what you buy it for so I'm sure I will be just fine. 

Edited by wheelman
  • Like 2

@Bawshogg VERY well said.  

Here 257 and 25LSV are virtually the same price.  We also have a well established base for almost every brand.  Malibu/Axis is still the leader, by a lot, second would be Nautique, i would say is comfortably #2, third would be either Centurion or MB.  You see quite a few of both.  

Like you said it takes time, Malibu guys have been here 20+ years, sure Boulder is newish but the guys working there aren't .   AWS same thing they have been Nautique/MB for a long time.   Our centurion dealer is the same way,  a smaller family owned shop thats been a dealer for 30 years,  so they all have the base.   Plus all are really good dealerships.   So every market is a bit different. 

Edited by DarkSide
24 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

@Bawshogg VERY well said.  

Here 257 and 25LSV are virtually the same price.  We also have a well established base for almost every brand.  Malibu/Axis is still the leader, by a lot, second would be Nautique, i would say is comfortably #2, third would be either Centurion or MB.  You see quite a few of both.  

Like you said it takes time, Malibu guys have been here 20+ years, sure Boulder is newish but the guys working there aren't .   AWS same thing they have been Nautique/MB for a long time.   Our centurion dealer is the same way,  a smaller family owned shop thats been a dealer for 30 years,  so they all have the base.   Plus all are really good dealerships.   So every market is a bit different. 

In all actuality, AWS has not had MB for quite a few years now.  Malibu or Nautique not very long either...They acquired Malibu for the second trip in 2009 and Nautique in 2013 I believe. What they have done well for MANY years is sell and service WHATEVER brand they have carried. They have been the ONE constant in the Portland market area for as long as I can remember.  The product as remained ever changing there... but they still continue taking care of their customers how ever needed. You really cant establish how much a GOOD dealer can make a difference in your purchase.

I believe they even sold Centurion several years ago.... when I was little.

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Bawshogg said:

In all actuality, AWS has not had MB for quite a few years now.  Malibu or Nautique not very long either...They acquired Malibu for the second trip in 2009 and Nautique in 2013 I believe. What they have done well for MANY years is sell and service WHATEVER brand they have carried. They have been the ONE constant in the Portland market area for as long as I can remember.  The product as remained ever changing there... but they still continue taking care of their customers how ever needed. You really cant establish how much a GOOD dealer can make a difference in your purchase.

I believe they even sold Centurion several years ago.... when I was little.

Sorry for the confusion AWS in AZ!

@Bawshogg while I completely agree with you on all your points on the ri and am like you trying to minimize the economic risks,  I do not believe the ri is proven yet on what resale will be like. Yes the centurions of the past did not hold their value anywhere near like a Malibu did and may never will. However the new ri I believe to be in a whole new class and with cc behind them I believe things will change in the years to come, also with the growth of wake surfing that hopefully will propel the designated surf boats in the used market.

Now even if they do end up depreciating faster and greater I have factored that into my decision to have imho the best surf wave possible and the other factors that have made me change. The enjoyment and memories with family and friends greatly out weigh any monetary loss that I will take. If I tried to justify every monetary decision I had to make I would always be ordering a burger and fries instead of a nice juicy steak and great bottle of wine or taking my kids to the local amusement park instead of Disney land. I guess what I am trying to say is as long as you can keep a roof over your family's heads and food on the table don't forget to live for today. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, malibu.c.c said:

Centurion, Nautique both run  pcm's  and have  300 hours warranty !! Indmar monsoon unlimited  hours...

so I will take the 5 years and unlimited hour warranty anytime 

PCM warranty is 5/500, starting a couple years ago.....

@wheelman,

I agree the wave is probably the best system wave available at this point. And I hear your logic....But the price difference here is not a FEW US dollars. Think larger. Like a year or two at a University for one of my boys.  I cant have THAT much more fun on the RI...even though I would love to .

Who's your dealer? Extreme or Wizzard?

38 minutes ago, Bawshogg said:

@wheelman,

I agree the wave is probably the best system wave available at this point. And I hear your logic....But the price difference here is not a FEW US dollars. Think larger. Like a year or two at a University for one of my boys.  I cant have THAT much more fun on the RI...even though I would love to .

Who's your dealer? Extreme or Wizzard?

Wizard is my dealer. This is just one of the many reasons that I am making the switch. They are no longer a malibu dealer and if they do half the job selling centurions as they did Malibu we will be seeing a lot of them up here. 

• Like 2