Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 G23 vs. 2017 24MXZ

Jennifer

The dealers we have been working with are Buxton and Waterski America, both in Lewisville.  

We had about 10 mph winds the day we demo'd.  Noticed spray in the Malibu but not in the G.  But the wind had died down a bit by the time we were in the G.  

• Like 1
On 11/24/2016 at 1:53 PM, Sailvi767 said:

I surfed the G23 last week. Cold in NC also however if you are going to spend big dollars you have to try them out. If your going to do a apples to apples comparison you really need bags in both boats. I loved the G23's surf wake with just the internal ballast. I imagine it would be incredible with bags. My wife loved the storage in the G verses are VLX. Not really a fair comparison however with the difference in size. The MXZ 24 is a better comparison and I would like to hear your thoughts. Build quality was much better on the Nautique especially looking at the hidden areas in the boat. The Malibu's have more bling and style but after a frustrating summer build quality is important.

Nautiques big sales pitch is you don't need to add weight, hence why they do not have a PNP option.  So IF they do need bags, that's a lot of weight to supplement a lot of stock weight.   Have fun with pumps over the side and fill times :D

Someone has to play devils advocate...

Edited by wakebrdr94
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, wakebrdr94 said:

Nautiques big sales pitch is you don't need to add weight, hence why they do not have a PNP option.  So IF they do need bags, that's a lot of weight to supplement a lot of stock weight.   Have fun with pumps over the side and fill times :D

Somwone has to play devils advocate...

They will also add in that the PNP is an aftermarket, so it counts against your weight limits, so if your plaque says 2500 and you put 750's in the lockers you will be down to 1000 pounds for your limit.  

With that said i always viewed the plaque as a guidline rather than an actual rule!  

The G23 does not "require" additional weight, but everyone agrees wave gets better with a bigger crew (i.e. more weight)  

@TenTwentyOne has the 2016/7 G23 super surfer recipe if you go that way.  It does include some sacs, however he will also tell you they are a nice to have, not a requirement!  

I absolutely prefer the look of the 24MXZ over the Ri257 I ordered.  I believe Malibu has the absolute best looking boats on the water!  So from an asthetics perspective malibu has an advantage.

6 hours ago, Jennifer said:

The dealers we have been working with are Buxton and Waterski America, both in Lewisville.  

We had about 10 mph winds the day we demo'd.  Noticed spray in the Malibu but not in the G.  But the wind had died down a bit by the time we were in the G.  

Both Great dealers! Cant go wrong either way really. My preference would be the MXZ or another 24ft boat not mentioned.

• Like 1
On 11/28/2016 at 10:20 AM, DarkSide said:

I absolutely prefer the look of the 24MXZ over the Ri257 I ordered.  I believe Malibu has the absolute best looking boats on the water!  So from an asthetics perspective malibu has an advantage.

You ordered the new Ri257?  Can you tell us what made you go with that over the 24MXZ?

On 11/28/2016 at 10:20 AM, DarkSide said:

1 hour ago, Arizona247 said:

You ordered the new Ri257?  Can you tell us what made you go with that over the 24MXZ?

Sorry for the long reply....

I surf 95% of the time, also being a large guy 6'2" 275+ I need a BIG wave, if i want to be able to actually do anything more than simply dropping the rope.  In order to get the big wave it requires a couple tons of weight.   I personally do not believe the Malibu product to be robust enough to handle heavy loading and 200 hours a year of use.  

Background: My 2014 24MXZ was riddled with problems, in its first year it spent 70+ nights at the shop.  I honestly never had a single day where the boat was problem free.  It had an outsanding list of warranty repairs at delivery and still had a list when Malibu bought it back!  One of the conditions for buyback was i custom order a replacement 24 MXZ.  

So the surfer was ordered, she held up very well for the first 100 hours.   An item here or there, nothing major, drop at the dealer on Tuesday pick up by Friday.   At about 130 hours she started having issues.  Rudder box cracked (top down), steering tube, supercharger pulley bracket, etc.  In the shop for roughly 2 weeks, Then the day after i pick it up from the dealer the tranny broke a couple teeth.  So out another 4 weeks getting a replacement.  So 1 year old boat in the shop for all of August and half of September.   Pick the boat up, and i am told I have prop burn on my gel, that will not be covered by warranty because i overweight my boat.  I run a lot of weight roughly 5000 pounds, but always a small crew.  3-6 is my norm.  So my argument is i am not that far over because of light crew.  That is how i find out PNP counts against your weight limits. 

So i start shopping around, as stated previously i have certain wave requirements.  I need a wave equal or better than the slammed MXZ. (Which is a fairly tall order).  So i arrange a demo of 2017 Ri237 @9:00 I go to the lake at 7:00 and we surf the MXZ, at 8:45 pull it out of the water and jump on the RI237.  So litterally back to back demo, same lake, same morning excellent conditions.  

The bone stock Ri237 absolutely smoked my MXZ wave!  The wave was almost identical in length and height, so in photos you would not be able to tell them apart.  The power of the wave though was insanely different, it was firmer, had much more push, so pumps were more efficient, my baby airs were easier because the lip is SOOO much firmer.  The 3 people in my group all unanimously agreed the waves werent really comparable, Ri237 was better!  I ride goofy the other two are regular. Keep in mind this is bone stock not optimized, no lead nothing and beating the surfer which is VERY dialed.

So i am now very intrigued by the RI series.  I start getting info on 237 and the "soon to be released" 257.  I could have been very happy with a 237, but the 257 takes it up an extra notch.  It includes things like infloor cooler, extra storage, (Ram fill tanks are almost same size for 217, 237 and 257).  Plus its bigger and heavier, and has even more ballast, thus better wave.  The people that have ridden it have told me it is the same wave as the 237, just taller and longer! So i start pricing 237 vs 257 and when equipping similarly the 257 is only 4-6k more.

So then i start looking at other thing, being as i have had reliability issues from Malibu's.  These are DESIGNED to surf.  5500 pounds FACTORY ballast that does not count against your capacity.  So no way can i overweight the boat.  5 year warranty on EVERYTHING including the Gel!   I started looking at construction techniques, Centurion/Nautique both use Vacuum Infusion, which greatly reduces Gel Voids. (Both of my 24 MXZ had gel void isses, the 2014 was horrible).  Most importantly a different powertrain!   The absolute best warranty is the one you never need!  I do fully expect a few issues, and i am ok with issues that drop off on tuesday pick up on Friday.  Simple fixes, i am not ok with it being in the shop for weeks at a time!  So after 2 bad boats ordering a third just didn't seam like a good idea!  

I am sure they are fine for people who dont want to push the limits, guys that throw 550's in the back and are happy. I want the wave its Maximum potential AND Reliability.   I think those two items are mutually exclusive.  Especially when you put 200 hours a year on.   So i am hoping the CC influences, will translate into the reliability that the G23 has.

Wow, thank you for the honest response.  I have looked at the Ri237 a few times and saw that there was a 257 coming.

I guess, I'm going to shop a little before placing a order this spring.  Thanks for the feedback!  KW

9 minutes ago, Arizona247 said:

Wow, thank you for the honest response.  I have looked at the Ri237 a few times and saw that there was a 257 coming.

I guess, I'm going to shop a little before placing a order this spring.  Thanks for the feedback!  KW

What @DarkSide has previously mentioned should be taken into consideration as well.  Centurion = Buick, Bu = Cadillac, different people like different things.  Both will give MOST people the performance they are looking for, its all about what you want in terms of fit and finish.  The excessive amount of ballast DarkSide wants/needs is part of the reason his boat had the issues it had... Should the Bu' be able to handle that weight? Absolutely... if you are paying 6 figures or damn near that, it should be able to handle whatever you throw at it in terms of ballast and performance.  Was it engineered to handle that weight? Probably not.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, BadgerBoater55 said:

What @DarkSide has previously mentioned should be taken into consideration as well.  Centurion = Buick, Bu = Cadillac, different people like different things.  Both will give MOST people the performance they are looking for, its all about what you want in terms of fit and finish.  The excessive amount of ballast DarkSide wants/needs is part of the reason his boat had the issues it had... Should the Bu' be able to handle that weight? Absolutely... if you are paying 6 figures or damn near that, it should be able to handle whatever you throw at it in terms of ballast and performance.  Was it engineered to handle that weight? Probably not.

Exactly its like buying an F150 and pulling a 5th wheel everywhere.   They aren't going to hold up.  So for MY specific situation, it seams to be a better fit.   I am choosing F350 XLT  vs F150 Platinum.  

With that said, i also  did everything i could to set it up for that weight.   572 LSA, appropriate 15 x 15.75 prop, etc.

In that scenario in would put G23 = F250 King Ranch

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, BadgerBoater55 said:

Agreed and that will be considered.

4 hours ago, DarkSide said:

Sorry for the long reply....

I surf 95% of the time, also being a large guy 6'2" 275+ I need a BIG wave, if i want to be able to actually do anything more than simply dropping the rope.  In order to get the big wave it requires a couple tons of weight.   I personally do not believe the Malibu product to be robust enough to handle heavy loading and 200 hours a year of use.  

Background: My 2014 24MXZ was riddled with problems, in its first year it spent 70+ nights at the shop.  I honestly never had a single day where the boat was problem free.  It had an outsanding list of warranty repairs at delivery and still had a list when Malibu bought it back!  One of the conditions for buyback was i custom order a replacement 24 MXZ.  

So the surfer was ordered, she held up very well for the first 100 hours.   An item here or there, nothing major, drop at the dealer on Tuesday pick up by Friday.   At about 130 hours she started having issues.  Rudder box cracked (top down), steering tube, supercharger pulley bracket, etc.  In the shop for roughly 2 weeks, Then the day after i pick it up from the dealer the tranny broke a couple teeth.  So out another 4 weeks getting a replacement.  So 1 year old boat in the shop for all of August and half of September.   Pick the boat up, and i am told I have prop burn on my gel, that will not be covered by warranty because i overweight my boat.  I run a lot of weight roughly 5000 pounds, but always a small crew.  3-6 is my norm.  So my argument is i am not that far over because of light crew.  That is how i find out PNP counts against your weight limits. 

So i start shopping around, as stated previously i have certain wave requirements.  I need a wave equal or better than the slammed MXZ. (Which is a fairly tall order).  So i arrange a demo of 2017 Ri237 @9:00 I go to the lake at 7:00 and we surf the MXZ, at 8:45 pull it out of the water and jump on the RI237.  So litterally back to back demo, same lake, same morning excellent conditions.  

The bone stock Ri237 absolutely smoked my MXZ wave!  The wave was almost identical in length and height, so in photos you would not be able to tell them apart.  The power of the wave though was insanely different, it was firmer, had much more push, so pumps were more efficient, my baby airs were easier because the lip is SOOO much firmer.  The 3 people in my group all unanimously agreed the waves werent really comparable, Ri237 was better!  I ride goofy the other two are regular. Keep in mind this is bone stock not optimized, no lead nothing and beating the surfer which is VERY dialed.

So i am now very intrigued by the RI series.  I start getting info on 237 and the "soon to be released" 257.  I could have been very happy with a 237, but the 257 takes it up an extra notch.  It includes things like infloor cooler, extra storage, (Ram fill tanks are almost same size for 217, 237 and 257).  Plus its bigger and heavier, and has even more ballast, thus better wave.  The people that have ridden it have told me it is the same wave as the 237, just taller and longer! So i start pricing 237 vs 257 and when equipping similarly the 257 is only 4-6k more.

So then i start looking at other thing, being as i have had reliability issues from Malibu's.  These are DESIGNED to surf.  5500 pounds FACTORY ballast that does not count against your capacity.  So no way can i overweight the boat.  5 year warranty on EVERYTHING including the Gel!   I started looking at construction techniques, Centurion/Nautique both use Vacuum Infusion, which greatly reduces Gel Voids. (Both of my 24 MXZ had gel void isses, the 2014 was horrible).  Most importantly a different powertrain!   The absolute best warranty is the one you never need!  I do fully expect a few issues, and i am ok with issues that drop off on tuesday pick up on Friday.  Simple fixes, i am not ok with it being in the shop for weeks at a time!  So after 2 bad boats ordering a third just didn't seam like a good idea!  

I am sure they are fine for people who dont want to push the limits, guys that throw 550's in the back and are happy. I want the wave its Maximum potential AND Reliability.   I think those two items are mutually exclusive.  Especially when you put 200 hours a year on.   So i am hoping the CC influences, will translate into the reliability that the G23 has.

That's crazy your mxz had those problems, but I wouldn't account it all from having 5k of ballast. Different boat and power train but I constantly run 5k in my a22 with ls3 and the 1235 prop and have had absolutely no issues in 550 hours that I have on the boat. On top of that, we don't surf so all that weight is for 23+ mph. 

I just ordered a 17 G23 and if all things were equal price wise, I might opt for a 17 MXZ over a 16 G23 in this match up. The main reason is the 16 G23 has the older dash design with the smaller screen, I think in that matchup the MXZ wins HANDS DOWN!

Also the interior space of the 24 MXZ I believe would be a lot larger than the G23.

Comparing the 17 G23 the dash screen is a lot better, but the dual screen Malibu is still maybe still the better of the two. I think the fit finish of the Nautique is better, but the Malibu has a great style and look. 

I haven't ridden the new 24 MXZ, but I have owned and ridden many Malibus and in general the Malibu wave on the regular side has always been big with great push, but not a very steep face. I prefer the G23 wave shape over the Malibu, but I think for most it will come down to their own preference. I'd also look at hard at LSV models since historically they had the better wave over MXZ.

I've always ridden Malibus with PnP and usually extra weight in the bow, with the G I plan on just tuning with ~200lbs of lead and leaving it at that. I am not necessarily aiming for the biggest wave but the best wave shape, and am also looking forward to extra space with no bags.

One more thought - on the Centurion Ri Series - it definitely has the best wave of all these boats IMO, but like others have said - it remains to be seen of if the resale market will agree on the value of those boats. The brand is going through big changes and I hope they can continue to improve and will definitely be looking hard at them if / when we upgrade in the future.

BTW - here's a review I wrote on these brands: 

• Like 2

I've had I think 12 bus that I can recall.  I've never had a single mechanical or quality issue.  Not one.  I take that back, my MTC got replaced under warranty that took 1 day.  I've probbaly logged 5000 hours plus.  I've never even heard of a "gel void" until Darkside, and I used to be a dealer employee!  A tranny issue, while unfortunate, isn't Malibu's fault, and isn't a different product than on an H6. I have never ever seen gel burn but for boats that spun sandy or dirty water.  If Dark had a bad run of luck like NyRyan, that's unfortunate, but I understand.   I'm in Centurions constantly and suggesting that Malibu quality is in ANY way deficient to Centurion is.., well, I don't even know the adjective.  You will have a sweet wave and I wish you luck, Dark.  But I have to ask, have you talked to any Centurion owners about their Ramfill reliability?

• Like 2

The centurion ram fills are now flawless. When they first came out they had an issue with the valves, not unlike any new product to the market. They have now been changed and retrofitted and anymore issues are unheard of over 1000 hours. I owned a 06 Enzo for 5 years and never once had it in the shop for a repair. Same boat still hasn't been in the shop for a repair with the current owner. Have multiple centurions on my lake and they also have been flawless. As for resale to say you know @IXFE is a load of bull because I know directly of a 2016 that just sold for more than I can buy a 2017 for. Also where are you guys getting your prices from that a ri is same money than a G? That's just ridiculous. Don't know who has been quoting you guys on ri's but they are less money that a Malibu 23lsv. Darkside was just giving another example of a great boat to throw into the mix for the op to consider. The Malibu kool aid is very strong today my friends. Ixfe must be in negotiations for his new Malibu and that post just got him another 5% off!  

Edited by wheelman

@IXFE i dont disagree with a lot of your statement. However my response was directly to arizona247 who asked why the change.  So I gave an honest answer.

The 24MXZ was a brand new hull and was introduced in 2013 the same year as surfgate!  The 20 and 22 were both previous generation.  So the 24 should have been designed with Surfgate in mind.

If you reread the second to the last paragraph.  i fully expect issues.  i am also ok with small issues that are resolved reasonably quickly.  I am not ok with something in the shop for weeks at a time.  

I also absolutely do applaud Malibu for covering virtually all of my issues.  My only issue is the quantity and severity of the issues, not that they were or were not covered.  I am still impressed by Malibu standing behind thier product.  My 2014 was a total POS, (and nothing to due with my useage).  Malibu actually bought back thier defective product.  That is awesome!  However I am not ok with a NEW boat spending 2 months a year in the shop.  Now add the concern that warranty stops being covered due to "abuse" then i am in a pickle.  If I change to something where i am running under the limits there is no abuse.   I need to change because how i use my boat will not change. 

As for resale they both suck!  The 23LSV is absolutely the undisputed king here, the 24MXZ not so much.  A new MXZ is $140k, 1 year old $105-$110k best case.  I absolutely expect the same general loss on Centurion as my MXZ, but i dont intend to swap again next year. 

I also 100% agree economics are off on the 237, no doubt.  The 257 is right where it should be though, dead on 25LSV pricing.  The 237 is 25k more than a 23 LSV which makes no sense!  

I also did note that for the first 100 hours it was very solid, having minimal issues, this would absolutely correlate with your experience.  I do close to 200 hours a year so i encoumter problems faster than the average person, i get that!

I also noted that this is MY issue for pushing the limits.  For a normal user i dont think they would have the mechanicals.  Again there are folks like you who NEVER have issues, so again it points to MY useage.   

I also agree if you do multiple sports the Malibus are hard to beat, because they are Very good at both. 

As for the new MXZ,  stellar looking boats.   In my opinion the absolute best looking boat on the market.  Dry weight is up, factory ballast is up, should be a boat that will serve 99% without issue.  Add to that the helm that is amazing and this boat is a winner.  Definitely nicer than the Centurion in looks and comfort, (also points I have made repeatedly).   

End of the day most will be very happy.  Malibu has and likely will continue to stand by thier products.  I still do believe in Malibu as a company, you don't get to 40% market share by doing things wrong or making crappy products!

• Like 2

@DarkSide

Good post and thanks for clarifying, although I feel like your Malibu issues are highly unusual, certainly not representative of what @Jennifer might expect in a new Malibu. 

As far as the 24 MXZ, sure it was released in the summer of 2012 (model year '13), but it wasn't a "brand new hull."  It was a stretched 22 MXZ from the year before (i.e. wakeboard boat). And in 2013 none of the boats were designed as surf boats. Back then Surf Gate was just bolted onto existing models (the MXZ lineup included). It wasn't until 2014 that Malibu introduced the newer, heavier, deeper 23 LSV that the designs started to change. Since then they've literally turned over every model. 

Anyway, just wanted to clarify those points. I'm super happy for you and the new Ri257. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, IXFE said:

@DarkSide

Good post and thanks for clarifying, although I feel like your Malibu issues are highly unusual, certainly not representative of what @Jennifer might expect in a new Malibu. 

As far as the 24 MXZ, sure it was released in the summer of 2012 (model year '13), but it wasn't a "brand new hull."  It was a stretched 22 MXZ from the year before (i.e. wakeboard boat). And in 2013 none of the boats were designed as surf boats. Back then Surf Gate was just bolted onto existing models (the MXZ lineup included). It wasn't until 2014 that Malibu introduced the newer, heavier, deeper 23 LSV that the designs started to change. Since then they've literally turned over every model. 

Anyway, just wanted to clarify those points. I'm super happy for you and the new Ri257. 

this all-new boat starts with an innovative hull design that will boost your wakeboarding and wakesurfing experience, while the running surface remains unchanged. The 23 LSV also features WakeView seating, deeper storage and a user-friendly dashboard in addition to many other updates across the 2014 line. With new WAKESETTER graphics, optional DecADence lay in mat and rear transom seating, the 23 LSV has a new look and feel, with the same Malibu vibe

From malibus website so you can see the lsv hull is unchanged from 2013 and Draft is still the same. Weight was changed 400 lbs, if we can believe malibus listed weights which we all know have been light. 

So I don't see much being changed. Now the new mkz had gone to a 32" draft which should definitely help. 

Edited by wheelman
On 11/24/2016 at 7:56 AM, Jennifer said:

We are ready for an upgrade.  Trading in our 2014 A22 for either a 2016 G23 or 2017 24 ft. Mxz.  Surf wave is priority, with a good push, it's pretty much all we do.  My husband and two boys are 200lbs ish and need the push.  We rode yesterday in both boats, but didn't surf, alas, its too cold in Texas!    Before riding I was leaning toward the g23 and my husband was leaning toward the mxz.  And frankly I was expecting to be underwhelmed by the MXZ wave (pnp added in the back lockers) vs the G23 (stock ballast) -  but shockingly, on looks alone, holy cow, the MXZ wave was steep and long, big curl, regular and goofy.  I'm looking for anyone who has rode behind both boats or just behind the 2017 MXZ, at least.  The dealer said the 2017 Redesign puts out a lot bigger wave, I was skeptical but now I think I believe him.  For many other reasons we are leaning toward the Malibu but don't want to be deceived by looks of the wave alone but plan to make a purchase in the next month or two. 

Go with your gut, your last statement. A wave might look nice but it doesn't mean the wave has good push. Ride each of them. Put on a drysuit if you have to, you will know fairly quickly which one you like better. 

24 minutes ago, wheelman said:

this all-new boat starts with an innovative hull design that will boost your wakeboarding and wakesurfing experience, while the running surface remains unchanged. The 23 LSV also features WakeView seating, deeper storage and a user-friendly dashboard in addition to many other updates across the 2014 line. With new WAKESETTER graphics, optional DecADence lay in mat and rear transom seating, the 23 LSV has a new look and feel, with the same Malibu vibe

From malibus website so you can see the lsv hull is unchanged from 2013 and Draft is still the same. Weight was changed 400 lbs, if we can believe malibus listed weights which we all know have been light. 

So I don't see much being changed. Now the new mkz had gone to a 32" draft which should definitely help. 

First... Malibu doesn't make an MKZ, but Lincoln does! :frantic:

Second... there's more to a hull redesign than just running surface. The 2014 was deeper and absolutely heavier than the 2013. Also, the surf gates themselves were enlarged and reshaped (i.e. optimized to work together). This was the first time Malibu had a chance to design a new boat in the Surf Gate era. It was the first of a long line of such redesigns (followed by 22 VLX, 25 LSV, 20 VTX, etc). Malibu never designed the original MXZ line with surfing in mind as it was conceived and introduced back in 2011. That's all I was referring to. 

1 hour ago, 85 Barefoot said:

But I have to ask, have you talked to any Centurion owners about their Ramfill reliability?

YES!  It's funny because Wake boat owners are worse than truck owners when it comes to brand loyalty!    It doesn't matter which brand, owners are VERY brand loyal.  Very few hop from brand to brand.

• Like 2