Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 G23 vs. 2017 24MXZ

Jennifer

We are ready for an upgrade.  Trading in our 2014 A22 for either a 2016 G23 or 2017 24 ft. Mxz.  Surf wave is priority, with a good push, it's pretty much all we do.  My husband and two boys are 200lbs ish and need the push.  We rode yesterday in both boats, but didn't surf, alas, its too cold in Texas!    Before riding I was leaning toward the g23 and my husband was leaning toward the mxz.  And frankly I was expecting to be underwhelmed by the MXZ wave (pnp added in the back lockers) vs the G23 (stock ballast) -  but shockingly, on looks alone, holy cow, the MXZ wave was steep and long, big curl, regular and goofy.  I'm looking for anyone who has rode behind both boats or just behind the 2017 MXZ, at least.  The dealer said the 2017 Redesign puts out a lot bigger wave, I was skeptical but now I think I believe him.  For many other reasons we are leaning toward the Malibu but don't want to be deceived by looks of the wave alone but plan to make a purchase in the next month or two. 

• Like 1

@mlsurf yes, the MXZ wave in *appearance, actually reminds me of our friends with a g25.  Its that impressive!  If I could figure out how to attach pics I would.  I know that doesn't do it justice.  I was really expecting more of the g23 after spending a fair amount of time behind our friends g25 and so I don't know if the settings of the g needed more fine tuning than the dealer set up, or the mxz was just that much better.  And @ahopkinsTXiI understand the firm feeling of the wave, it's precisely why we love surfing behind our friends g25!  

3 hours ago, mlsurf said:

@Jennifer I am in the same situation but looking to purchase in the next year. I am anxious to hear what your thoughts are. Does the MXZ have the same shape wave as your Axis? My G21 is much steeper than my buddies Axis. 

The axis wave and Malibu waves are different.   primarily due to power wedge.  The axis has the basic wedge that is either 100% or 0% deployed.  Very few with power wedge run close to 100%, 40-70 would be more normal.   The wedge is a great shaping tool, more wedge for steeper less for flatter skim style.  additionally the power wedge has more surface area.   

The MXZ redesign helps significantly,  the biggest help with the surf wave on the 24 is the draft increased to 32" from 27".  getting the hull in the water deeper gets you the firmer more powerful wave.  Both the M235 and 24 MXZ have this deep draft, not coincidentally they are Malibu's 2 best surf boats.

• Like 2

I surfed the G23 last week. Cold in NC also however if you are going to spend big dollars you have to try them out. If your going to do a apples to apples comparison you really need bags in both boats. I loved the G23's surf wake with just the internal ballast. I imagine it would be incredible with bags. My wife loved the storage in the G verses are VLX. Not really a fair comparison however with the difference in size. The MXZ 24 is a better comparison and I would like to hear your thoughts. Build quality was much better on the Nautique especially looking at the hidden areas in the boat. The Malibu's have more bling and style but after a frustrating summer build quality is important.

• Like 2

@DarkSide thank you.  Have you, or do you know anyone who has surfed behind the 2017 MXZ?  I'm too old to surf in this cold weather!  I know we should have, ugh... @Sailvi767 yes, love the storage in the G and love the sea deck throughout, even in storage areas.  But the MXZ is SO roomy.  We can also do a custom with extras and come way under the G.  

25 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

@DarkSide thank you.  Have you, or do you know anyone who has surfed behind the 2017 MXZ?  I'm too old to surf in this cold weather!  I know we should have, ugh... @Sailvi767 yes, love the storage in the G and love the sea deck throughout, even in storage areas.  But the MXZ is SO roomy.  We can also do a custom with extras and come way under the G.  

I surfed a 2017 G23 and 2017 24 MXZ during the same week in September and I would agree with the others above to get in the water if you really care about the wave. Spend $150 on a wetsuit and get behind both boats before making this $125-150K decision since their waves are really different.

The G23 with stock ballast is a great wave and very powerful but straighter down the line than Malibu waves so you have to square up to the wave a little more on the G. Probably a lot like the G25 you're used to but the G23 is generally accepted to have the better wave of the two. The G23 hull was redesigned in 2016, if you're comparing what you saw to an older G25.

The 24 MXZ's redesign is also quite good and now has a very good wave with minimal PNP (~400-500lbs). It's a much wider wave and may be easier for beginners to learn on since it wraps behind the rider more. Doesn't have the power of the G's wave but it's a different shape. I'd be very happy with it, and I'm used to riding a sacked out 2016 23 LSV for comparison.

Fit and finish is no comparison - G23 wins hands down but like you say, you'll pay for the extra attention to detail. The G23's wave is my second favorite now, behind the Ri237.

I was going to mention that you should check out the Ri series being that your primary focus is surfing. I haven't ridden it but everyone that I have talked to claims it's the cats meow. It sounds like you don't have size restrictions based on the 24MXZ and G that you are looking at. Im pretty sure you could be into an Ri 257 for less $ than either and sounds like it's wave is a game changer. 

In my market the a loaded RI257 is just a touch less than a moderate equipped 24MXZ  or G23.  After riding the Ri237 back to back with my 24MXZ, it was an easy decision.  I should get to ride 257 early next month.  i will get pictures and video then.   The 237 is very nice boat, and i could have been happy there but the 257 adds more features, so again you price them comparably the 257 is a no brainer IF you have enough storage and a big tow vehicle.

That said wave feel is the difference,  in pictures you can't tell a difference between my Slammed 24MXZ or stock Ri237.  however the firmness and power difference was night and day.

As for fit finish the G is at the top of the market.  The Malibu and Centurion are almost equal for different reasons.  Each have their strengths and weaknesses, so it depends on your needs where they fall.

Edited by DarkSide

Totally personal preference, or even just what you're used to riding. If you're used to riding a certain style of wave, you will feel much more comfortable and like a boat that has that style. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, bamaboy said:

Too cold in Texas?  Get in the water.

No kidding. I was in the water in VT last weekend. I'd have loved to be jumping in the water in Texas.

go ride them both. The assessments in this thread are pretty spot on. But you won't know for yourself until you are riding it.

• Like 2

@Fman, that would help!  The g23 dealer texted us yesterday and sweetened the deal a bit ?.  

Ok, ok, so we are gonna have to surf!  I had hoped I could talk our 17 year old into it but he's down with a football injury.  I'll let y'all know how it goes ?.

@DarkSide, are you getting a 257, and does it have a surf system allowing transfers?  We didn't even look at centurions.  

15 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

@Fman, that would help!  The g23 dealer texted us yesterday and sweetened the deal a bit ?.  

Ok, ok, so we are gonna have to surf!  I had hoped I could talk our 17 year old into it but he's down with a football injury.  I'll let y'all know how it goes ?.

@DarkSide, are you getting a 257, and does it have a surf system allowing transfers?  We didn't even look at centurions.  

Just out of curiosity, where do you live in Texas.  And what lake do you ride on?  Will you be keeping this boat on the water?  Or do you have to trailer it?  

24 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

When you demo the G23 pay attention to how much spray comes over the bow. The day I demo'd the boat there was 20 knots of wind so I could not really check it out. The G21 has a spray problem and the redisgn on the G23 hull in 16 was in part to fix the spray issue on that boat.

@Jennifer All of the boats offer transfers now.   Especially in the levels you are looking at.  I really liked the Malibu system, with flashing lights to help time the transfers it really helped in the beginning, Surfband was cool but it was flakey, it is awesomeness when it works though.  The transfers on the top tier boats is also very fast, most are <3 seconds.  The boat responds different based on surf system type, the 24MXZ and G23 use a tab/gate, causing the boat to crab slightly,  This causes you to need to steer the boat towards the  surfside to go straight, so when you transfer, the driver needs to make a quick adjustment  to maintain a strait line.  This is not a big deal and you get used to it, but will startle you the first couple times.  Other boats like X23 and RI use Tabs to slightly list the boat to create the wave, so they do not have this issue on transfers.  

So demo, Ride and drive everything.   

As for other question, yes i am moving to the RI257, I surf 95% of the time, so the wave was my #1 priority.  Inside the RI is like a Buick where the G is definitely the Cadillac, the Buick is still nice, with similar features, heated seats etc, but you will never mistake it for a Cadillac.  

With that said ALL of these boats produce a VERY good wave.   So it will come down to what you are looking for from your boat.  This is definitely a tough choice.  Ride them all make a list of your priorities, and see which one checks the most boxes.  

1 hour ago, Sailvi767 said:

When you demo the G23 pay attention to how much spray comes over the bow. The day I demo'd the boat there was 20 knots of wind so I could not really check it out. The G21 has a spray problem and the redisgn on the G23 hull in 16 was in part to fix the spray issue on that boat.

This is still an issue on the 2016 G23.  It is MUCH MUCH better but on a windy day you still take some spray.  One of the few things I dislike about the boat but something to consider if you boat on big, windy lakes.  Luckily, I don't have to deal with this often.  

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 8:48 AM, Jennifer said:

Who are your dealers in Texas?

On 11/26/2016 at 9:47 AM, bamaboy said:

This is still an issue on the 2016 G23.  It is MUCH MUCH better but on a windy day you still take some spray.  One of the few things I dislike about the boat but something to consider if you boat on big, windy lakes.  Luckily, I don't have to deal with this often.  

Bama, I primarily upgraded from a 15 to a 16 because of this issue.  I live in the desert, which is another way of saying windy.  So I have paid particular attention to it this year and put 115 hours on the boat.  I think it is every bit as dry as any other boat I have owned, (247, X45, Tige 24V) even in the wind and chop.  It isn't better, but I didn't think it was worse.  On a windy enough day, you take spray no matter what boat you were in.  On my 15, you would take buckets in the face with a 15 MPH breeze, even as the driver.    

• Like 3