Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 Malibu for 100% surfing

mlsurf

Hello,

Potentially looking at a malibu for our next family boat. We surf 99.9% of the time. In the 17 line-up, what is the best surf boat under 23 feet (not including the M235)? Coming from a nautique G21... 

thanks!

I have a 22 VLX and compared it to the G21 recently. If he is surf only the VLX has a better wake and you don't have the spray issue. I really liked everything else about the G21 and would have traded my VLX had the surf wake been better and no spray. I am probably selling the 16 VLX and going to another boat but the G21 did not quite cut it. Build quality on the Nautique did appear better then the Malibu.

@mlsurf The 2017 22 MXZ is supposed to throw a decent surf wave.  The 23LSV is the best selling wake boat on the market, for a reason!  

One thing to be Very Aware of, is Malibu's require PNP bags in the rear, and if you want more serious waves a triangle bag in the bow as well.   The Malibu wave is also not going to be quite as adjustable as your used to also.  The primary reason is the gate is open or closed, where NSS has steps.  

Take some time and try to demo a couple different boats 23 LSV, 22MXZ (if you like big bow).  

Like you i surf 99% of the time.   Dont be as concerned with losing rear bags, get clamping racks store boards there, or on the bimini.  you can SAFELY store 10 boards on the tower!

Edited by DarkSide

Not 100% sure I am moving away from nautique,  just want to start thinking about it early. Would love to test some boats now but the Minnesota weather does not agree w me. 

I like the fact that all my ballast is sub floor and I have lots of space but figure I should look around before making a decision as I want to keep this next boat for 4-5 years. 

Thanks for the input guys. 

One thing I will mention is the 17 inch prop nautique uses is the real deal. I was very surprised at how well both the G21 and G23 performed with the small 5.3 liter motor. Both boats topped at 39MPH and had no trouble with 2800 lbs of ballast getting up to wakeboard speeds. These are 5500 lb plus boats and leaped out of the water. I wish Malibu would go to the 17 inch prop on all models.

I currently Have a 15 22 VLX , I had a chance to Demo both the 22 MXZ and 24 MXZ I felt the 22 MXZ was better surf wake then my 22 VLX and the 24 MXZ  if I was in the market I would order a 22 MXZ for sure! 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sailvi767 said:

One thing I will mention is the 17 inch prop nautique uses is the real deal. I was very surprised at how well both the G21 and G23 performed with the small 5.3 liter motor. Both boats topped at 39MPH and had no trouble with 2800 lbs of ballast getting up to wakeboard speeds. These are 5500 lb plus boats and leaped out of the water. I wish Malibu would go to the 17 inch prop on all models.

Yeah, 17 inch prop and 2/1 tranny work well. 

10 hours ago, DarkSide said:

@mlsurf The 2017 22 MXZ is supposed to throw a decent surf wave.  The 23LSV is the best selling wake boat on the market, for a reason!  

One thing to be Very Aware of, is Malibu's require PNP bags in the rear, and if you want more serious waves a triangle bag in the bow as well.   The Malibu wave is also not going to be quite as adjustable as your used to also.  The primary reason is the gate is open or closed, where NSS has steps.  

Take some time and try to demo a couple different boats 23 LSV, 22MXZ (if you like big bow).  

Like you i surf 99% of the time.   Dont be as concerned with losing rear bags, get clamping racks store boards there, or on the bimini.  you can SAFELY store 10 boards on the tower!

Don't forget the Malibu has a power wedge 2.  This definitely adds some fine tuning ability even though the gates are open or closed.

• Like 3