Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

21VLX

Lees23

14 minutes ago, bamabonners said:

A moment of silence for the passing of the original 21 vlx..... may it rest in peace among other flagship boats whose names have been reused to sell cheaper variants.

Care to expand on the differences?  My buddy has a '14 but I haven't spent much time on it

9 hours ago, Lees23 said:

Care to expand on the differences?  My buddy has a '14 but I haven't spent much time on it

The previous 21 VLX was a completely different hull (longer and wider).  Arguably, it was the best wake on the water.  The 21 VLX was redesigned and renamed the 212VLX.  Then, the 21 VLX name was introduced again.... Some of us just can't get over the name change and would have preferred that it be a different name.  Nothing against the boat itself - it seems like a good package at a good price point. See this thread, if you want more info: 

Edited by bamabonners
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2016 at 10:27 AM, Lees23 said:

Thanks for the replies.  

Just okay?  That surprises me.  Is that just standard ballast?  Any PNP?  My x2 with 650 x 2 PNP throws I pretty nice wake.  

I found a new 15' 22VLX for 88.  I would really like a 16 or newer. 

Yes, 16 or newer for sure!

• 3 months later...

Not to dig a painful thread back up but I am back looking and Malibus again.  

I am looking at a 17 22VLX.  From what I read, this is a significant improvement(in many ways) over the current generation 21VLX.

If I get my x2 sold I think I am making the jump.  

Edited by Lees23
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Lees23 said:

Not to dig a painful thread back up but I am back looking and Malibus again.  

I am looking at a 17 22VLX.  From what I read, this is a significant improvement(in many ways) over the current generation 21VLX.

If I get my x2 sold I think I am making the jump.  

I looked at both and at the end of the day couldn't justify the extra $16K (plus) for the 22 VLX. The 21 VLX did not feel like a "value" model to me and actually seemed like a closer match to the newer models (more sea deck and less carpet). The beam is 4" smaller than the 22 VLX but only 2" less than the older 21 VLX. It's also heavier, has a deeper draft, and a larger fuel tank than the older 21 VLX. On the other hand, it does have the same motor as the 2017 22 VLX. If I were going to spend $95K I would have gone for a slightly used 2016 LSV instead.

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, Roachie said:

I looked at both and at the end of the day couldn't justify the extra $16K (plus) for the 22 VLX. The 21 VLX did not feel like a "value" model to me and actually seemed like a closer match to the newer models (more sea deck and less carpet). The beam is 4" smaller than the 22 VLX but only 2" less than the older 21 VLX. It's also heavier, has a deeper draft, and a larger fuel tank than the older 21 VLX. On the other hand, it does have the same motor as the 2017 22 VLX. If I were going to spend $95K I would have gone for a slightly used 2016 LSV instead.

Are you happy with your 21VLX?  How is the surf wake?  Any pics you care to share?  I can garage a 23 LSV. 

7 minutes ago, Lees23 said:

Are you happy with your 21VLX?  How is the surf wake?  Any pics you care to share?  I can garage a 23 LSV. 

I just ordered based off a test drive of both last August so no pictures yet but there are videos on this site.

6 hours ago, JeffC said:

For what it is worth, we went what seems like a similar evaluation.    I went to the Denver boat show specifically to see the 21VLX.   It was a VERY nice boat.   There were two at the show, nicely optioned.   We also looked at Tige, MC, Nautique, MB,  Supra/Moomba, even a Cobalt forward drive.   Pretty much got into every boat at the show in this class.    

While we were at Malibu, we looked at the 22 VLX too - and it REALLY grabbed our attention because of:

• Size - while the 22 is technically only 10" longer, it is also 4" more beam.   It doesnt seem like much on paper, but it sure FELT bigger.   I loaded 6 adults in both on the floor, and the 22 felt significantly less crowded.   We expect our normal crew to be in the 6-8 range.
  • Fit/Finish - We are buying a boat we expect to keep for a LONG time, and there is a noticeable difference.   Im not saying the 21 isnt nice, its more that the 22 just felt a bit better finished out.   I also like the rear seat in the 22 a bit better, seemed like it would be more comfortable as it is rounded off a bit where the 21 is a little more squared off. 
  • I am a slalom skier now, with designs on surfing.   I think the 21 would actually provide a better slalom wake, but the 22 a better surf wake.   As I am starting to age a bit, I figured that I would be surfing more, slaloming less over the years. 

We also spent some time considering the 20 VTX - also an exceptionally nice boat, but again, size won out for us.

There was a lot of gnashing of teeth, and pulling of hair, but we ultimately decided to go with a custom order 2017 22 VLX (over a left over 2016 22 VLX).   It was a hard decision, but in the end my wife said the magic words : Get what you want... so... I did :biggrin:

I agree that they are both VERY nice boats and it's hard to go wrong either way. The main difference to me was the extra space in the 22 VLX and that can be a big deal if you need it. I'm coming from a Sportster so they both seem huge to me. :)

19 hours ago, Roachie said:

I agree that they are both VERY nice boats and it's hard to go wrong either way. The main difference to me was the extra space in the 22 VLX and that can be a big deal if you need it. I'm coming from a Sportster so they both seem huge to me. :)

I resemble that remark... my old boat was a Crownline 182BR with Sport seating.   It started feeling crowded at 3 people.   It was a good boat, we had a lot of good times with it, but we were REALLY tired of climbing over people and gear. Life is about to be a LOT better.