Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

21VLX

Lees23

Ladies and Gents..

Go easy on me.. current 14' MC x2 owner but trying to change that.  Considering moving to '16 or '17 21 or 22 VLX.  Probably lean towards the 21 because I store my boat in my garage.  Any insider info is certainly appreciated.. must haves, thoughts about the 21 vs 22, engine performance...  Useage will be mostly surfing and cruising with a occasional boarding.

TIA

If you can fit one in your garage and afford the difference, I'd get the 22. It's a lot more like 23 LSV than it is the 21 VLX. 

If you end up with the 21 VLX it's still gonna be a major upgrade over the X2. Just make sure your dealer stays close to the advertised $80k price point. Oh, and it looks killer in black!

900512C4-ED8C-44FA-B214-29F7B454E4B2_zps

6D0F6A3D-359C-4AB6-B258-71B93F2E2C56_zps

D28C9139-6B05-4031-86CD-B787263F289D_zps

2CE6F768-AD57-43DF-841F-4A199B27EA9C_zps

Surf wake behind the 21 is "ok".  Get's the job done (can surf ropeless) but won't be as big or long as the 22.  Really similar to my dad's 06 vlx with our suck gate.

Thanks for the replies.  

Just okay?  That surprises me.  Is that just standard ballast?  Any PNP?  My x2 with 650 x 2 PNP throws I pretty nice wake.  

I found a new 15' 22VLX for 88.  I would really like a 16 or newer. 

I rode it with the 550 plug in play bags and a driver with two spotters.  Unfortunately the spotters were "new" and didn't really help with weighting much.   It really needed how weight and had a lot of bow rise. With a front sac and some tweaking you could probably get a better wave.  And, to be fair, we had just finished riding behind the 2017 22mxz which is longer, heavier, wider, etc...  everything looks smaller behind that lol.

does the '15 VLX 22 have a closed cooling system?  I thought it was just a standard one unless you ordered it with the closed cooling system.

8 hours ago, Lees23 said:

Thanks for the replies.  

Just okay?  That surprises me.  Is that just standard ballast?  Any PNP?  My x2 with 650 x 2 PNP throws I pretty nice wake.  

I found a new 15' 22VLX for 88.  I would really like a 16 or newer. 

'15 22 VLX for $88k is way overprice imo.  Unless it has a substantial engine upgrade, and loaded to the hill with options (including G4).  Are there no leftover 16's avail?  That 5 year warranty is a biggie, along with the Raptor 410 base engine and trans ratio change.

1 hour ago, IXFE said:

'15 22 VLX is not older generation. Lol

It is when you are talking about engines, warranties and the surf band. It is a Chevy open cooling system 5.7L vs the Ford 6.2 closed cooling system, the warranty is 3 yrs vs 5 yrs and no surf band. "Lol"

Edited by Lees23
23 minutes ago, Fman said:

'15 22 VLX for $88k is way overprice imo.  Unless it has a substantial engine upgrade, and loaded to the hill with options (including G4).  Are there no leftover 16's avail?  That 5 year warranty is a biggie, along with the Raptor 410 base engine and trans ratio change.

Appreciate your feedback.  This is the price before any negotiation.  I was planning on asking for surf band be retrofit and 2 yrs full coverage extended warranty for around 80.  Engine is base 350.  Still over priced?

1 hour ago, gahvey said:

does the '15 VLX 22 have a closed cooling system?  I thought it was just a standard one unless you ordered it with the closed cooling system.

What I mean is I like the idea of the closed system on the Ford('16+)... the 15' is an open system in this boat.

10 minutes ago, Lees23 said:

Appreciate your feedback.  This is the price before any negotiation.  I was planning on asking for surf band be retrofit and 2 yrs full coverage extended warranty for around 80.  Engine is base 350.  It is the G4. It's a Florida boat so it has a 5k salt resistance package, which I don't need in KS.  It's a new boat so little to know time in salt water. Still over priced?

Edited by Lees23
31 minutes ago, Lees23 said:

It is when you are talking about engines, warranties and the surf band. It is a Chevy open cooling system 5.7L vs the Ford 6.2 closed cooling system, the warranty is 3 yrs vs 5 yrs and no surf band. "Lol"

Oh man, you sure schooled me!  I had no idea about all those changes.  Good thing I have newbies here to teach me!   :frantic:

Go back and read your message, newbie. The context was "old generation 22 VLX" vs. "new 21 VLX."  No mention of engine, surf band, or warranties to clarify. In boat speak "generations" refer to hull changes, not changes to powertrain or warranty or wrist bands that do nothing  

Say what you mean, and mean what you say.  

Edited by IXFE
51 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Oh man, you sure schooled me!  I had no idea about all those changes.  Good thing I have newbies here to teach me!   :frantic:

Go back and read your message, newbie. The context was "old generation 22 VLX" vs. "new 21 VLX."  No mention of engine, surf band, or warranties to clarify. In boat speak "generations" refer to hull changes, not changes to powertrain or warranty or wrist bands that do nothing  

Say what you mean, and mean what you say.  

"Older" is what I said, as in older than the current gen.  You must be the Internet tough guy here intimidating the "newbies".  So sweet. 

1 minute ago, Lees23 said:

You must be the Internet tough guy here intimidating the "newbies".  So sweet. 

No, just the first guy to respond to your thread with a well educated recommendation, pricing help, and beautiful pics. 

• Like 2
Just now, BadgerBoater55 said:

Come on guys... lets just get along and keep it on topic. I have seen many a thread get off topic on rants and pissing on each other.

@IXFE give him a break, we need the new guys (I am still a newb!) here too who aren't as obsessed as the folks like you (whom we all appreciate). Your boys at Malibu want the new guys here too! haha

@Lees23 , IXFE knows his stuff.  He has a new boat every year, hang around here and learn from the guy.  He has a particular "voice" and you'll need to get used to it.  haha.  He is blunt, but he is a passionate Bu' guy.

All good.  I don't have thin skin, he is not going to run me out of here.  If it makes him feel better to tell me I am wrong then more power to him. 

I would say that it's subjective what people consider "significant".  Maybe "generation" wasn't the word but drivetrain, and warranty are pretty significant changes in my book and I would consider them significantly different boats than say a 16 vs a 17.  

It's funny that you guys think I'm tough. There used to be actual tough guys here, but they taught me a lot and looking back I'm glad I had the sense to listen instead of pop off  

I'm just a guy who shares what he's learned and usually include pics... because pics rule! I have no issue with new guys. But I do take issue with a guy who's more focused on the "LOL" in my second post than he is with the solid pricing info and pics I included in my first post. 

Just now, IXFE said:

It's funny that you guys think I'm tough. There used to be actual tough guys here, but they taught me a lot and looking back I'm glad I had the sense to listen instead of pop off  

I'm just a guy who shares what he's learned and usually include pics... because pics rule! I have no issue with new guys. But I do take issue with a guy who's more focused on the "LOL" in my second post than he is with the solid pricing info and pics I included in my first post. 

You are right, I apologize. I missed that you are the same person that posted the very informative first post.  That is a very sharp looking VLX and appreciate the info about the price, very helpful. 

I thought your only post was to tell me my statement was wrong followed by "lol" which serves no purpose how you used it other than to tell me that I am an idiot. 

In an effort to get back on track. ..

@Lees23 generations are typically referred to based on hull generation.   As 22VLX was introduced in 2015 it is still currently in its first generation.  

As opposed to 21VLX which is a well respected moniker that was removed in 2015 and reborn in 2017 as a price point offering.  

The 21VLX is a very nice boat but finish level is different than the 22VLX, you can see where the extra money went. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DarkSide said:

In an effort to get back on track. ..

@Lees23 generations are typically referred to based on hull generation.   As 22VLX was introduced in 2015 it is still currently in its first generation.  

As opposed to 21VLX which is a well respected moniker that was removed in 2015 and reborn in 2017 as a price point offering.  

The 21VLX is a very nice boat but finish level is different than the 22VLX, you can see where the extra money went. 

A moment of silence for the passing of the original 21 vlx..... may it rest in peace among other flagship boats whose names have been reused to sell cheaper variants.