Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Made 28 off this morning

Chef23

Okay it was at 32 mph but I have been fighting this pass all year. This morning I went out at 32 mph and walked through my 15 and 22 passes. First pass at 28 off I was so early at 4 I hit the ball with the tip of my ski completing the turn and fell. Next pass I survived some backwash and was so early at 6 I could have 2 handed it.

I bumped the speed up to 33 and had a good one but hit some rollers at 2 and let go of the handle. Since I was tired and my back is still a little tender I called it for the day right there.

What was different besides the speed? After watching an Andy Mapple video I really focused on keeping the handle close to my hips and the pull on until I got to the edge of the whitewater past the second wake. Doing this set me up really wide and early and I didn't feel like I was shallow on any of the balls.

Next time out I will go out at 33 mph and creep up on full 34mph.

Update

I ran 28 off at 33 mph today and it was easy. I only got 4 at 34mph because I was tired.

I need to learn to go off the dock at 22 off because I run out of gas. Either that or lose 40 pounds :)

I feel like if I can get to 28 off fresh I can run it. Next time I am going to run 28 off full speed. I don't think I have a lot to gain by running it slower anymore.

Well done!!! If your stamina is challenge, I'd start at the 28' pass and work on just that pass.

Great work. I agree with edwin... I don't run 22 off anymore. It is too much work. Depending on the boat, you are usually in the most difficult wake location and you have to pull for a long time which wears you out for the next set.

Keep running 33 and the occasional 34 and you will be at 34 full time before you know it. Just for fun, back the speed down and run 32X32 a couple of times and 28 off feels even easier.

good job!! you can now call yourself a bonafide shortline skier!!! 28off is the gateway to glory :lol:

IMO if you like skiing at 33 ski at 33. perfect your passes at 28off and 33 and move from there. don't worry about any other line length or speed until you feel really comfortable. Then if you want bump the speed up; unless you're skiing in tourny's who cares if you don't ski at 34 or 36!!! ski at whatever speed you want.

my favorite combo has always been 25off @ 35mph!!!!! the wake is just beyond the rooster at that length and not too much trough & for me 36mph is just too fast. Surprised.gif

how do you get 25' off? using a PP switch but with a normal ski rope?

pp switch, where did I say I use a pp switch, let alone speed control? just make a loop in the rope dude, its tought to explain without one in my hands, but you can make a loop that pulls right out when you're done so no knots. I saw it many years ago in waterski mag and I was having trouble with my 22off pass. I was killing 15off but my old boat (supreme) had a killer rooster tail, so I would make a loop in between 15 and 22. once I progressed passed 22 and on my new boat I found that 28 was a little fast for me so I would make a loop at 25. I progressed past 28off when I was about 20 years old and skiing all summer. My pb is getting around 3 ball at 32off so what's that 2 1/2? whatever I don't get out enough to worry about 1/4 balls!!!!

You can also buy rope with more loops. You should check it out if you are having problems running a certain line length - but once you know the knot its easy to make a loop anywhere on the rope. Biggrin.gif

And I'm Old school man - stopwatch and throttle tech! my old man and I rarely run out of tolerance and when we do its minimal. I don't ski much anymore but I'd like to; more footing recently, but even finding the time to do that is tough.

I usually run 15 off 22 off and near the end of the summer I'll start running 28off but it aint pretty. I usually ski now around 33 or 34mph based on the stop watch. but who says my course is that accurate... If I'm having an easy time or not likeing 22off I'll make a loop if I haven't hit 28 yet in the year. its more fun to run balls than to miss a pass in the course. I can only make 3 good passes b4 I'm done so they all count!

no wonder wakeboards think we're anal...