Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking to buy a 2001 wakesetter vlx

MAXPOWERS1207

In the next few days I'll be taking a 6 hour drive to look at a 2001 wakesetter VLX.  I was wondering if there's something I should be looking at/for.  the engine was replaced about 300 hours ago after 1700 hours.  the guy did it himself.  just looking for some friendly advice do I don't make a huge mistake.

Not sure where you are, seems steep for those hours and needing interior. That should be the sv23 hull, new hull was in 05'. Sunsetter is the same as the wakesetter, wakesetter came with tower & ballast tanks IIRC

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2001-Malibu-Sunsetter-VLX-for-sale-OKC-Oklahoma-61641.aspx    throw a tower on this. 10% of the hours you are looking at.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/1996-Malibu-Sunsetter-VLX-V-Drive-for-sale-Portland-Oregon-59201.aspx  not sure how big your crew is, but this is before wrap around port side seating. I think 98 was full seating, which I have.

Edited by Choiceind
add

Well, I throw this out there.   My wife and I just found out this week that we are having our first baby and we might be selling out 01 wakesetter vlx in the spring.  Its in fantastic condition, has 400 hours.  Has 2800lbs of integrated ballast and a new sound system.  Currently in storage and shrink wrapped.   Would take 23k for it.

20160508_105450_resized.jpg

20160625_112721_resized.jpg

20150718_102420.jpg

20150718_102432.jpg

20150709_205421.jpg

4 minutes ago, CFH said:

Well, I throw this out there.   My wife and I just found out this week that we are having our first baby and we might be selling out 01 wakesetter vlx in the spring.

Congrats on the baby!  Wishing the best for baby, mom, and you.  But why sell the boat?  That V8 rumble will put the baby to sleep while you and mom enjoy a nice cruise - and kids of all ages love boats.

BTW, your boat looks like it's in great shape.

• Like 1

Well... I said "might" lol and thanks for the congrats.   Its winter now and not summer... so who knows.  We live in a small subdivision that has a marina where we keep the boat, its only a 3min walk from our house.  Problem is that my wife will be delivering in late june or early july.  Not sure how a boat will fit in this time frame.  I also mountain bike 5-7 days a week and go out of town for races, oh and we have 2 german shepherd puppies right now. 
SO..... If one of you guys has a plan or a outline where the boating fits in with this mess... please do tell!

Edited by CFH
4 minutes ago, CFH said:

Well... I said "might" lol and thanks for the congrats.   Its winter now and not summer... so who knows.  We live in a small subdivision that has a marina where we keep the boat, its only a 3min walk from our house.  Problem is that my wife will be delivering in late june or early july.  Not sure how a boat will fit in this time frame.  I also mountain bike 5-7 days a week and go out of town for races, oh and we have 2 german shepherd puppies right now. 
SO..... If one of you guys has a plan or a outline where the boating fits in with this mess... please do tell!

Well... I'm pretty sure you won't be away from wife and baby so much  :innocent:   So if you're going to be around home (and wife/kid) more after the kid comes, you might as well spend it on the boat.

You don't seriously think you're going to get away with working away from home (I assume) and biking 5+ days per week?  Actually, you won't want to be away from them that much.  Life will change.  All good.

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, CFH said:

Well since your wife and baby will be up at all hours of the night you can just convince her to take you for a sunrise set...good luck with that BTW. 

• Like 2

The original boat in question may be garage kept now, but not a lot of its life from the condition.

Those snaps are awful...one of the worst cover snap jobs I've ever seen on an inboard.  That alone would have me pass.  Hard to get a full feeling for that boat since it doesn't  have several key pictures.  

• Like 2

See the Specs section under Resources for some data.  Sunsetter had the SV23 Diamond. Wakesetter had the SV23.  Diamond hull will have a slightly better slalom wake, regular hull slightly better wakeboard wake - all else equal.  Emphasize slightly.  Not a big deal.  They'll be the same for surfing, IMHO.  I would go with whatever is in the best condition as opposed to worrying about Diamond or not.

Max, the Sunsetters came in diamond  and wake hulls. I own both, ha. Really. They may have stopped making the wake hull Sunsetters around 2000? 

My 95 is wake, my 2002 is a diamond. Very hard to tell the difference in the wake. But, at 32 ish and above, no doubt the diamond wake truly disappears. 

Best of luck in finding the right boat. Please dont mind my personal advice. Shop around. It's winter. Malibu is an awesome boat company. Take some time and learn all the models, going rates, look at them all over the country online. That should help you narrow a big decision down. I looked close to a year for my 2002.

Steve B.

14 hours ago, minnmarker said:

See the Specs section under Resources for some data.  Sunsetter had the SV23 Diamond. Wakesetter had the SV23.  Diamond hull will have a slightly better slalom wake, regular hull slightly better wakeboard wake - all else equal.  Emphasize slightly.  Not a big deal.  They'll be the same for surfing, IMHO.  I would go with whatever is in the best condition as opposed to worrying about Diamond or not.

Not quite correct.  Since we are discussing V-Drive boats, it was the SV23 wake hull on the Sunsetter through 2000.  2001, the last year of the V-drive Sunsetter, got the SV23 diamond.  From 2002 - 2004, the Sunscape 21LSV took over for the SV23 diamond hull.

IMO, lightly weighted, the wake hull would be  slightly better for wakeboarding.  When sacked out, any lift you may get from the diamond hull design is negated at that point and they should be equal.  Surfing equal and diamond having a better ski wake.  Unfortunately, misinformation and incorrect perceptions hurt the diamond hull resale, as some buyers don't know any better and just assume the wake hull is the "superior" hull for all non-skiing wakesports and the diamond should be avoided.  The overall difference between the two is minimal.  Even for skiing, the wake doesn't really start to flatten out until around 28MPH.  It really starts to shine @ 32.  From a comfort across the wake standpoint, I'd much rather pull even a newbie at 32-33 than 28-30, as it is a pretty big difference.

• Like 2