Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Longboard style wakesurfer

pkh

Looking for a fun longboard style board for big guys on the boat and something different for me to play with. I am a fan of Soulcraft so I was looking at the Soul Slider board.

We have had good luck with Ronix boards too in terms of durability and ease of use, so wondering about Koal Classic Longboard

Opinions?

I would recommend the soulcraft soul slider or the Chaos spooner. They are really fun and do not ride like regular surf style boards. The ronix will ride pretty similar to a normal board, but dumbed down. It doesn't feel like a long board  

The ronix will not be more durable. Durability will be about the same, but you can have soulcraft of chaos glass the board heavier when you order it if you are extra hard on your boards. They will do whatever you want. 

• Like 2

@pkh congrats on the G!  Awesome boat!  As others mentioned soulcraft will do what ever you want,  as a "Big" guy myself,  i can relate to the challenges.  

The struggle is real! lol

I had soulcraft make my board a touch thicker, 1.75 vs standard 1.5.  i also ordered a touch longer than most people 4' 10"... they can go longer as well.  

Call or Email Jeff

On 11/21/2016 at 7:33 AM, bamaboy said:

Good luck on finding the board and that is a sweet G23.  

I have some custom bags if you are interested.  Let me know

Just curious, unnecessary? I think so, never had a bad surf wave day on either side empty or full of people with no sacs on that boat, wake more than plenty for my sorry a**.

On 11/21/2016 at 9:45 PM, pkh said:

I will when I get it! Thanks for the tips!

0 ramp on goofy and 3 ramp regular and that wave is always sweet, transfers are insane, Congrats!  We even bother with ramp on transfers, two fingers instead of one, such new world  trouble!

I hope all you guys saying big boy ,you are true big boys.  I took advice on big boys, and I hate my surf board.  The phase 5 kong, was terrible investment.  Being ex college ball player being over 300, the board was terrible.  To me a big boy is someone over 275 not what most people are saying 225.  I cant believe I wasted 650$ on that board, best part is they said they would send me a new turf pad, bc it was floating off, and they never did.  I WILL NEVER DEAL WITH PHASE 5, I have already told all my buddies not to buy them. 

The only board I had success on is a true surf board I had from back home. Now I bought my first boat, so I will try to dial it in to help me.   Instead of riding with others, I know its not a true surf boat but I will get it dialed in!

1 hour ago, Tnwakeboarder86 said:

I hope all you guys saying big boy ,you are true big boys.  I took advice on big boys, and I hate my surf board.  The phase 5 kong, was terrible investment.  Being ex college ball player being over 300, the board was terrible.  To me a big boy is someone over 275 not what most people are saying 225.  I cant believe I wasted 650$ on that board, best part is they said they would send me a new turf pad, bc it was floating off, and they never did.  I WILL NEVER DEAL WITH PHASE 5, I have already told all my buddies not to buy them. 

The only board I had success on is a true surf board I had from back home. Now I bought my first boat, so I will try to dial it in to help me.   Instead of riding with others, I know its not a true surf boat but I will get it dialed in!

I feel your pain!  Its tough finding a combination that works well for us REALLY  Big guys.   i went through several boards trying to find something i liked,  that would work well.    

Here is my finding,  big boys need a big wave! The size of the pocket starts shrinking rapidly after 200lbs.   it simply takes more energy to sustain a 300 pound dude.   

The best of the shelf board i used was a Ronix Koal Powertail.  However the soulcraft is far and away better.   I am not a great surfer,  intermediate at best.   The biggest thing is getting enough wave to actually ride,  then as technique improves,  smaller waves and smaller boards become possible.   

• Like 3

Given I am only 200lb and 6'4", the best cruising wakesurf board was a inland swallow. 
I also have a 6'6" short board my wife's friend had when she lived on the west coast. It does real well, not fast, not slow, but isn't affected but much and very forgiving. 

16 hours ago, DarkSide said:

I feel your pain!  Its tough finding a combination that works well for us REALLY  Big guys.   i went through several boards trying to find something i liked,  that would work well.    

Here is my finding,  big boys need a big wave! The size of the pocket starts shrinking rapidly after 200lbs.   it simply takes more energy to sustain a 300 pound dude.   

The best of the shelf board i used was a Ronix Koal Powertail.  However the soulcraft is far and away better.   I am not a great surfer,  intermediate at best.   The biggest thing is getting enough wave to actually ride,  then as technique improves,  smaller waves and smaller boards become possible.   

I hope I can get a decent wake with this boat.   Your photo looks like an awesome wake.  I know I seem to be the only goofy rider I find.  If I cant get it big enough for me at least everyone else will enjoy it, and ill just have to keep losing weight!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tnwakeboarder86 said:

I hope I can get a decent wake with this boat.   Your photo looks like an awesome wake.  I know I seem to be the only goofy rider I find.  If I cant get it big enough for me at least everyone else will enjoy it, and ill just have to keep losing weight!

You'll be able to get a surfable wake for most reasonably athletic people up to 225 pounds if your VLX is 2005 or newer with bags (back and front) and a suck gate (or better).  For really big boys, as you say 300 pounds, you might need one of those new >$100K, >6000 pound boats and lots of gas.

The board we settled on for the >200 pound group is a Ronix Koal Fish 5'6".  Taking the middle fin out made it more "pump-able."  On sale on several sites right now.

Welcome to the Crew.

The weight range on new boards is for when ridden behind current boats. 

modern boats have wakes that a few years ago you would only see in pro competitions. These wakes allow people to ride smaller boards and further back. 

As boats and wakes get better, the recommended weight ranges will change as well, especially with a brand like phase 5 where the proper size is crucial for optimum performance.

For a longboard take a look at the Spooners. Available in standard 5'6" and 6.0 lengths in Bamboo and Custom double, triple or single stringer in lengths from 5'4" to a full longboard in the 9+ foot range. Most people are happy with the 5'6" and 6.0 as these still fit nicely in the boat and allow for nose riding. On a custom level, I usually glass these pretty heavy. They are not designed to catch air, and a heavy board will just glide and cut through the chop so well. It provides a great stable platform.

http://chaossurfco.com/wakesurfboards/bamboo-series-chaos-spooner

Nathan.

You should just get yourself a Ringer XXL. I originally put this board together for some Georgia lineman. It is available in Tennessee Orange.

http://chaossurfco.com/wakesurfboards/chaos-ringer-xl

Board weight recommendations for most companies, and specifically wakesurf companies are not really accurate or scientific. They are based largely on scaling. Modern shaping programs allow shapers to have really accurate understanding of volume, but this is only one factor. For surf companies, a board is often recommended based on skill level, beginner, intermediate, and advanced or pro. A Pro will ride a board with really tight tolerance and exacting volume. Where as for a beginner it would be reccomend that a much more volumnous board be ridden. The next factor of importance is the wave. If you are riding small waves you want more volume than you might use otherwise, this translates right over to behind the boat with each boat producing a different wave, some steep, some not, some with long pockets and lots of push, others with short pockets and little push and all things inbetween. 

Nick