Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 Fman LSV build - Larson Marine

Fman

wait... make prisoners work? could you imagine that?  LOL this is California the liberal capitol of the U.S.... being in prison here is like being on vacation, 3 squares and a color HD TV :lol: but I totally agree, put them to work in rowboats picking up debris one by one!

On 3/29/2017 at 7:32 PM, Fman said:

Wow that is a lot of craziness going on there.  One wire at a time method!  what is your master stereo plan?

Would you mind taking a picture of the factory installed ProSport battery charger? I'm going to install one in mine and want to match the factory install work. 

@Fman I noticed there is a template, for the sub hole, on the back of the factory board. Did you use this template to cut the hole for your sub or is the sub offset from this?

Just now, wbama387 said:

@Fman I noticed there is a template, for the sub hole, on the back of the factory board. Did you use this template to cut the hole for your sub or is the sub offset from this?

Sub is offset from this mark.  The method I use is I mount the sub box and kick panel.  Once in position drill a 4" hole in the kick panel which needs to be in the hole for the sub box.  Does not need to be in direct center.  Now you can place your hand inside the sub box and trace the pattern where the hole will align on the kick panel.  Once you cut the hole place the subwoofer itself inside the kick panel (while on saw horses) and trace this pattern.  Once cut you will now be able to put the sub inside the kick panel so you are not required to remove the sub when kick panel is pulled off.  The sub will sit flush with the kick panel once you affix to box? Sub cover will clean up around the cut and carpet ares.

Does that make sense?

Just now, Fman said:

Sub is offset from this mark.  The method I use is I mount the sub box and kick panel.  Once in position drill a 4" hole in the kick panel which needs to be in the hole for the sub box.  Does not need to be in direct center.  Now you can place your hand inside the sub box and trace the pattern where the hole will align on the kick panel.  Once you cut the hole place the subwoofer itself inside the kick panel (while on saw horses) and trace this pattern.  Once cut you will now be able to put the sub inside the kick panel so you are not required to remove the sub when kick panel is pulled off.  The sub will sit flush with the kick panel once you affix to box? Sub cover will clean up around the cut and carpet ares.

Does that make sense?

Makes perfect sense. I would have never thought to do it that way. I was just going to try and pull dimensions, but that would not have been as exact as your way.

Thanks!

another way to do it is:

pull the carpet off the kick panel (you can leave one side on and let it "flop")

with the box and trim panel in place, use a brad nailer and nail the kick panel to the box (temporarily)

use a router with a finishing trim bit to cut the circle to line up exactly with the circle in the box, then use a router rabbet bit to open the kick panel hole enough to fit over the sub.  The HDPE of the kick panel is soft and a router bit cuts it really easy.

now add a little contact cement (or just some spray 3M super77 glue) and flop the carpet back over the kick panel

once the glue cures, cut the hole in the  carpet and wrap around the kick panel hole.

done.

Once you've cut a perfectly round hole with a router it's hard to go back to the jigsaw hole.  Nobody notices the jigsaw jankiness but me.  But I notice so I use the router.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, wbama387 said:

Makes perfect sense. I would have never thought to do it that way. I was just going to try and pull dimensions, but that would not have been as exact as your way.

Thanks!

There are different methods, I think this is the easiest way to do it.  It comes out super clean and dead on. I also prefer cutting on saw horses and not in the boat.  A basic jigsaw with a good blade will easily cut the kick panel.  It is definitely nice to not have to remove that subwoofer if you ever need to pull that kick panel off.

Edited by Fman
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, Bawshogg said:

Looks great Fman! 

Gets easier every time huh? 

Lol...actually yes it was definitely easier this time around.  Although admitting I had to reference @shawndoggy, @ixfe, Brian and Bill from Exile on a few occassions.  I never have wired in series so there were some tower, rca and amp setting changes. Plus two years later I needed a little refresher.

I really like the way the surf 9s are sounding.  Super clean with great mid bass.  I also notice there is no hissing coming from the towers like the hlcd's did.  The entire system is completely noise free.  Looking forward to getting in the water soon to hear them behind the boat.:)

• Like 2

How did you get the sub box mounted with the pull out heater on the side? I can't get my box to slide back far enough because it's in the way. 

The walk way heater and the blower are back behind the kick panel where the sub goes and it's right in the way of installing the sub box. 

1 hour ago, hethj7 said:

There is the outlet @LS1boarder

8A874902-C5DD-45EF-B4A4-42FACD1AAB78_zps

Thanks man! I'm installing mine tomorrow! It feels like there are already holes to run the wires through the carpet! The only think I won't have is the big warning label! I couldn't find where to order that! Jk! There are like 7 million warning stickers on a new boat! 

2 hours ago, wbama387 said:

How did you get the sub box mounted with the pull out heater on the side? I can't get my box to slide back far enough because it's in the way. 

I moved my snorkel out of the there completely and relocated it so I could fit my subwoofer enclosure.

33398095542_0bd02523b4_k.jpg 

33171395250_e30ed13a50_k.jpg

Sorry @wbama387, I was posting in response to the question on the charger earlier, not the heater.  Sorry for the confusion.  We are all on the same page - heater behind kick panel and charger over at the amps.  

30 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Sorry @wbama387, I was posting in response to the question on the charger earlier, not the heater.  Sorry for the confusion.  We are all on the same page - heater behind kick panel and charger over at the amps.  

No problem. It sounds like I need to relocate the heater. 

I never got the box fman has to fit but built one that is about 12.75" deep and have it fitting without moving the hot tube.  I did remove the plastic sleeve on the tube so it just goes into that area loose now, but it should work.  

I should mention I was trying to fit a 12" sealed sub (JL 12W6v3D4) that was side firing.  That's why I was forced to relocate the hot tube.

Edited by Slurpee

I much prefer that location for the heater hose. I might move mine even though I will keep the stock stereo. Any issues to be aware of in the move?

11 hours ago, hethj7 said:

I never got the box fman has to fit but built one that is about 12.75" deep and have it fitting without moving the hot tube.  I did remove the plastic sleeve on the tube so it just goes into that area loose now, but it should work.  

That's probably what I need to do. I didn't realize you could remove that hard plastic case and the pull out heater still work. Thanks. 

19 hours ago, Slurpee said:

I moved my snorkel out of the there completely and relocated it so I could fit my subwoofer enclosure.

33398095542_0bd02523b4_k.jpg 

33171395250_e30ed13a50_k.jpg

This is definitely an option for a hot tube although you loose/limit some access to storage.  This is the reason I always mount the heater tubes under the helm area without sacrificing storage areas.  The heater tubes in kick panel will reach anywhere in the boat.

17 minutes ago, Fman said:

This is definitely an option for a hot tube although you loose/limit some access to storage.  This is the reason I always mount the heater tubes under the helm area without sacrificing storage areas.  The heater tubes in kick panel will reach anywhere in the boat.

I found storage under the wakeview seating useless because of the bulky frame needed. It makes it hard to get anything bigger than a tissue box through there. So I didn't loose anything. And I still store the Bimini sleeve, extra lengths of tow rope and first aid kit in there easily.