Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2003 Malibu Wakesetter heater core winterizing

rm32644

Last year I had a leak in my heater core under the steering wheel.  It was very difficult to access, and replace with a car heater core that fit.  I am in the process of winterizing the boat, and I am wondering where the engine end of that heater core line is.  I assume the other end dumps into the lake.  If anyone has any info or pictures of where the heater hose hooks up to the engine, please advise.  Thanks for any help.  I have compressed air on my dock that I can set to any pressure, if that is a way to get the water out of the core.

Edited by rm32644
ahopkins22LSV

The "to heater" line should be coming out of the top right of the engine water pump. The "return heater" line should be going into the bottom right of the engine water pump. 5/8" lines. 

Take them both off and blow the water out and you will be good to go.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
1 hour ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

The "to heater" line should be coming out of the top right of the engine water pump. The "return heater" line should be going into the bottom right of the engine water pump. 5/8" lines. 

Take them both off and blow the water out and you will be good to go.

I don't see why I have to take the lower one off if I have already drained the engine water. 

ahopkins22LSV

If you don't take the return hose off when you blow the water out of the heater with the to heater line you will be blowing water back into the block. And you want to be able to see the water coming out to know you blew it all out. 

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

If you don't take the return hose off when you blow the water out of the heater with the to heater line you will be blowing water back into the block. And you want to be able to see the water coming out to know you blew it all out. 

not to mention it is damn hard to blow the water out of the core if the lower hose is on, even with the block plugs out.

ahopkins22LSV

That is awesome that you are still riding at 72!

So in the image below you found the line circled in blue right? The other one you need to find is the one in red. I know this may not be exactly how your engine works and since this is an inboard and you have a VLX it won't be quite as open to work on, but it was the best pic I could find.

Heater Lines.JPG

• Like 3

Thank you, very useful.   Actually, I found the lower red one apparently, and cut it off.  There is plenty of extra hose to make up for cutting it.  I tried blowing on it with my mouth and there was considerable resistance.  I think the blue one is hidden beneath the Perfect Pass speed control actuator which is in that area.  Thanks!  I'll dig out the blue one, and put about 10 psi on it with my compressor, which is located about 150 feet away in my lower garage, but has a regulator.   I buried the air line 3 feet down, when I ran electrical and water to the dock 16 years ago. 

My heater hoses were accessible in the bilge of my Sanger. I cut the lower one and spliced in a prestone flush tee. I always used a shop vac to suck the water out. It would also gravity flow into the bilge.

8 hours ago, Rednucleus said:

My heater hoses were accessible in the bilge of my Sanger. I cut the lower one and spliced in a prestone flush tee. I always used a shop vac to suck the water out. It would also gravity flow into the bilge.

I definitely need to put a flush Tee in the line to avoid all this hose removal stuff.   Maybe one on each hose on the engine end.   I have a wet shop vac, that might make more sense, it would be more gentle on the heater core, just suck the pink antifreeze out from the other end.  Thanks.  

3 hours ago, Tracktor said:

I put quick releases on mine.  Makes blowing it out a breeze.  Plus if you make a couple of plugs you can block it off in case of an issue......................

I blew my lower engine heater hose out with 10 psi shop air.   After a lot of girgling the block drain plug that was still open released water for about 5 minutes at a slow rate.  I'm not sure I need to open the top hose.  

1 hour ago, rm32644 said:

I blew my lower engine heater hose out with 10 psi shop air.   After a lot of girgling the block drain plug that was still open released water for about 5 minutes at a slow rate.  I'm not sure I need to open the top hose.  

it's your funeral. You have no idea which way the core is mounted, best to blow from both directions. Take the clamp off, give the hose a 1/4 twist with a pliers and then just pull it off.

3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

it's your funeral. You have no idea which way the core is mounted, best to blow from both directions. Take the clamp off, give the hose a 1/4 twist with a pliers and then just pull it off.

It's your funeral?  Who talks like that since the 50's.  ;-)   I do have an idea how the core is mounted, I just installed it this spring.   I didn't say I was done.   I will make sure that line is first purged, then I will add pink antifreeze to it.  Thanks.

Edited by rm32644
9 hours ago, Tracktor said:

I put quick releases on mine.  Makes blowing it out a breeze.  Plus if you make a couple of plugs you can block it off in case of an issue......................

Was that like a garden hose quick release or a special one for a 5/8 heater hose?  

17 hours ago, rm32644 said:

This is all I do and it has seemed to work. Although it doesn't get cold enough here (NC) to freeze the lake over. Adding antifreeze like you said is a quick safely measure to avoid the "funeral"! :)

On 11/21/2016 at 9:28 PM, rm32644 said:

Was that like a garden hose quick release or a special one for a 5/8 heater hose?  

Just plain old garden variety(ha) quick releases.  Been 5+ years with no issues...........

4 hours ago, Tracktor said:

Just plain old garden variety(ha) quick releases.  Been 5+ years with no issues...........

That's what I ended up doing, I got a metal one at Home Depot.  Now I've got to put a float charger on the battery and I'll be done.   Thanks to all for the very useful support, you guys always come through for me.