Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
Badger

Dry suit - recommendations update?

Recommended Posts

Badger

I think my O'Neill Boost drysuit has bit the bullet.  I did like it but after 6 years, it appears to be taking in water directly through the fabric.  I've looked for leaks and attempted some patching but stillend up with about a 2 cups of water down by each ankle when I'm done.  I wear a shorty wetsuit underneath now, but this all starts to get bulky when including the lifejacket.

6 years doesn't seem like a long time to me, so I don't think I'd go back to the same O'Neill.  I'd like to consider something a bit tighter for the next purchase and looking for updated recommendation. I would like it to be able to handle skiing conditions and water down into the 40s.

I've read through the older drysuit and wet suit threads but would like to get some updated info if companies have changed their drysuit offerings lately.  I'm intrigued by some of the wetsuit recommendations stating that you stay almost dry, but I also am not sure that you go out in water temps in the 40s and 50s.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rednucleus

Do you feel obvious areas of water intrusion? Try wearing a pair of sweat pants and long sleeve shirt to help id leak points. May be you just need new leg seals, or you may have some seams that need to be hit with seam seal. Last year I was getting a wet crotch (lots of laughs when I took the suit off) and painted seam seal on those seams, easy fix. My biggest leak area has always been water getting past the leg seals. I put a velcro strap over the seal to help with that. Just make sure you don't forget to take off the strap or you will tear your seal every time taking the suit off.  I have a 1992 Stay Dry baggy nylon suit and have changed leg & arm seals several times over the years, neck only once, so to me a six year old suit is barely broken in!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
h2oratJR

Recommend looking for a company that has been around a long time & you can get replacement parts.. Ive had my OS System drysuit  for 27 years.  Sent it back to them last year for new seals.    Doesnt Oneil have a good warrenty on their drysuits? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Woodski

@Badger:  I sent back an O'Neill drysuit that was leaking and they fixed it gratis & sent back.  You might try that before giving up on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badger

Yes, I've thought about sending it to them, just to see what they'd say.  I've already painted the crotch area once with seam seal and that didn't fix it.  I've read a lot of comments that say, once you try to fix on your own, they won't touch it again.  But it still might be worth the cost of shipping.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to pressurize the suit to look for leaks?  I couldn't keep enough pressure in it to blow soapy bubbles on the outside.

I've also wondered about soaking it in some 303 Fabric guard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Woodski

@Badger:  Your fix might cause a rejection to fix from O'Neill, I guess I would call them regardless & hope for the best.  I think there are a couple of places that do repair, you might try Wileys to see if they know.  Perhaps a local scuba shop might also be a resource.  As for pressure testing, and a scuba shop might have the answer, You either have a tub or water container to use to see escaping bubbles or are just putting soapy water on outside of suit?  My off the top thoughts would be:  use a couple of furring strips and a C clamp to seal the legs and arms, similar for neck and maybe slide a basketball air needle as the air injection source.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badger

I did some tests last night and can't find a big leak but think I found the cause. If you look at the picture, the inside fabric or "coating " seems to have worn off. If I put a little puddle of water in these spots, it will drip right through the fabric  

Not sure if there is anything I can do to fix it.   I'll try to call O'Neill later today but not optimistic. 

IMG_5395.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badger

Thanks.   I've left a message with the place above.  Also talked to O'Neill, but they won't help.  They only repair seals and zippers.  They believe the material is delaminating and could only give the possible cause of it was mis-use, which I don't think is the case.

Anyhow, I'm back looking for recommendations for a new one for the spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rednucleus
3 hours ago, Badger said:

I did some tests last night and can't find a big leak but think I found the cause. If you look at the picture, the inside fabric or "coating " seems to have worn off. If I put a little puddle of water in these spots, it will drip right through the fabric  

Not sure if there is anything I can do to fix it.   I'll try to call O'Neill later today but not optimistic. 

IMG_5395.JPG

Is this a baggy nylon suit or neoprene type?  If water is going thru that I'll bet O'neill would make it right. Certainly nothing you have tried to repair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badger

yes, it's a baggy suit.  And no, O'Neill told me they won't do anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BillFooter

I had a Barefoot International suit years ago that was probably close to 10 years old when a buddy gave it to me.  It was delaminating a little when I got it, and after I had it a couple of years it began to delaminate more.  I don't think there is any way to repair or stop that.  My question would be if misuse made it delaminate, what would that misuse be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bbattiste247

Last December, I sent O'Neill a drysuit that was about 5 years old. It had been sitting in my garage for about 4 of those 5  years. I live in Las Vegas and my garage gets very hot, so when I found it the rubbers seals were destroyed. I sent it to O'Neill to fix with a check for $100. They tested it and told me that it had leaks in it so they wouldn't fix it. I requested them to send it back and in the meantime, I bought a new one.  About a day or two after the new one arrived, I got a package from O'Neill and I was thinking that it was my old drysuit. But much to my surprise, they sent me a brand new suit and returned the $100 check.  I felt kind of bad because I had neglected the drysuit very much and I didn't deserve a new one.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jrvs23
1 hour ago, bbattiste247 said:

Last December, I sent O'Neill a drysuit that was about 5 years old. It had been sitting in my garage for about 4 of those 5  years. I live in Las Vegas and my garage gets very hot, so when I found it the rubbers seals were destroyed. I sent it to O'Neill to fix with a check for $100. They tested it and told me that it had leaks in it so they wouldn't fix it. I requested them to send it back and in the meantime, I bought a new one.  About a day or two after the new one arrived, I got a package from O'Neill and I was thinking that it was my old drysuit. But much to my surprise, they sent me a brand new suit and returned the $100 check.  I felt kind of bad because I had neglected the drysuit very much and I didn't deserve a new one.    

Sounds to me like you have a extra suit to part with.:whistle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
granddaddy55
On 11/16/2016 at 0:27 PM, Rednucleus said:

Do you feel obvious areas of water intrusion? Try wearing a pair of sweat pants and long sleeve shirt to help id leak points. May be you just need new leg seals, or you may have some seams that need to be hit with seam seal. Last year I was getting a wet crotch (lots of laughs when I took the suit off) and painted seam seal on those seams, easy fix. My biggest leak area has always been water getting past the leg seals. I put a velcro strap over the seal to help with that. Just make sure you don't forget to take off the strap or you will tear your seal every time taking the suit off.  I have a 1992 Stay Dry baggy nylon suit and have changed leg & arm seals several times over the years, neck only once, so to me a six year old suit is barely broken in!

Had that same blue and grey or cream ? suit with black seals, baggy not the word, put a monstrous friend in a large and it  fit him actually I think mine was a 1985,86 purchase but it didn't change much

Edited by granddaddy55

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joeprunc

I just bought this one, I've always been stubborn and used a wetsuit.  But found one on super clearance that I couldn't pass up.  I've used friends baggy suits before and did not like the dragging while skiing.  I think this should be a lot better.

Hope to get out Thursday, I'll let you know how it works out.  Also why is your suit taking in so much water...you spending that much time in the lake?  My wetsuits keeps me 98% dry usually.

1779_b82_f_web.jpg

Edited by Joeprunc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
granddaddy55
3 hours ago, Joeprunc said:

I just bought this one, I've always been stubborn and used a wetsuit.  But found one on super clearance that I couldn't pass up.  I've used friends baggy suits before and did not like the dragging while skiing.  I think this should be a lot better.

Hope to get out Thursday, I'll let you know how it works out.  Also why is your suit taking in so much water...you spending that much time in the lake?  My wetsuits keeps me 98% dry usually.

1779_b82_f_web.jpg

Where

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joeprunc

It was a returned item on Amazon for $235 shipped :)

Looks like there are still some sizes for $319 avaliable on amazon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raimie
On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 2:32 PM, Badger said:

yes, it's a baggy suit.  And no, O'Neill told me they won't do anything.

What about trying to coat the area that is worn, inside and out, with a waterproofing treatment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...