Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Talk me out of/into new boat

hellcat3

I have been reading many posts on the "malibucrew forum" for the last 3-4 years, but finally decided to sign up today.  (I have learned a ton from you guys)  Anyway in 2014 we purchased our 1st boat a 2003 Malibu VLX with only 120 hours, i definitely learned a lot through that experience.  I'm a little embarrassed but bought the boat sight unseen.  It wasn't in quite as good of shape as i had imagined from the photos and we ended up replacing almost everything on the trailer.   To date the we have had zero issues with the boat and upgraded many items on the trailer and boat.  We have put on a little over 100 hours on her in 3 years.  (We have such a short season here in OR), but try to make it out on the water at least once every weekend.  

We (Me.. i haven't told me wife yet) have been thinking about upgrading to possibly 2005-2007 VLX as we have had such good luck with ours.  However, it does seem like a big price jump just for a better hull and few other nicer features?  I'm also concerned that if we do buy a 2006/2007 with 300-500 hours on it in 5-6 years it will be a 15 year old boat with 700-800 hours on it.  I'm guessing that old a boat with that many hours might take a big hit on resale value?  any input is appreciated.  

A 10 year old boat will have a lot of the depreciation sucked out of it already.  And as new boat prices have been going up, used tow boat values have held pretty well.  700-800 hours is not going to scare away the average buyer looking for a 15yr old boat.

• Like 2

I also really like the Silver Edition Wakesetter, but i believe that they come with the Hammerhead engine rather than the Monsoon.  Would buying a Hammerhead with 500 hours on it deter you?

I think the whole "50 hours a year" as a guideline average has started to shift.   Where people used to float and chill now they surf and chill.  it is so much easier on your body that you can actually go longer take more rotations, and as a result hours per year is going up. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DarkSide said:

I think the whole "50 hours a year" as a guideline average has started to shift.   Where people used to float and chill now they surf and chill.  it is so much easier on your body that you can actually go longer take more rotations, and as a result hours per year is going up. 

Agreed.

1st boat we averaged 20hrs per year

new boat we are at 68 per year

• Like 2
6 hours ago, DarkSide said:

Yea you don't ride for hours on end!

2 hours ago, Stevo said:

Agreed.

1st boat we averaged 20hrs per year

new boat we are at 68 per year

My 1st direct or v drive we have 300 hours since 4/14 and with my broken leg the boat went unused for 9 months from 7/15-3/16(204 by 6/15).  This year ftom April to now 96 hours(we were on a 167 hour pace till leg and now less cause friends boat) and we went on a buddies G far more than on my boat this year from April forward as well( he has 1300 hours on a 2013), only motor problem I've had is oil consumption and a small valve cover leak a new mechanic just fixed. Awesome experience 

im picky and use non ethanol premium and with that for performance for 2.5-3 hours of ninja weighted surfing and now that my nose is down I'm using 13.5 gallons or less over .two days of surfing, small boat small motor big wave

i think putting 1400 in my bow and front has lowered the nose and I think improved my gph

i thinknwhst drives our hours is my wife had two fish and skis before she ever met me so she is committed and it means we go more and do less of other things if at all from mar-nov and we HAVE NO kiddos to take to ball games and no grand babies to watch.

is it also possible that it is not as loud with the nose down????may correlate to the better gph it sounds like it's not trying as hard except when we get up, after nose drops I hear far less noise than I used to. 

Edited by granddaddy55

any thoughts between 2005-2007?  Is the wake that much better from my 2003?  I assume that the bigger boat will surf much better

Hammerhead vs Monsoon?  I like the Silver Edition, but am wary of going away from the Monsoon, is this a valid concern?

My 2006 Hammerhead has been flawless for 300 hours.  Only oil/filter changes and one set of plugs so far.  Doing plugs, wires and distributor this winter.   

Either 05 or 06 was when they went to a new hull shape of which there are two versions "wake" and "diamond ".  I have a "wake".

Edited by nlouthan

Thanks for all the replies.  Is the wake behind the wake hull exponentially better than the diamond?  I assume if we don't ski we should look exclusively at the wake hull.  I know the hull changed in 2005, were there any big upgrades in 06 07?