Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu to marinize own GM engines

oldjeep

10 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

I think it is a far stretch to say either of them are building a motor.  They are taking a GM longblock and bolting some accessories on them.  Then they are taking a GM ECU and doing their own custom tune on it.  That's it.  If you ever notice which parts fail the most on the Indmars, it is the parts that they bolted on.  I've had an alternator bracket, plug wires, and alternator fail on mine - all Indmar parts.

Pretty sure the alternator isn't really an "indmar part" either, is it?  It's not just an off the shelf AC Delco with the right mounting points to accommodate the indmar bracket?

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Pretty sure the alternator isn't really an "indmar part" either, is it?  It's not just an off the shelf AC Delco with the right mounting points to accommodate the indmar bracket?

The alternator on mine is certainly not an AC Delco unit.  I can't recall the brand...I can say it's not a good unit.  I'm sure a lot of the parts these companies use are not built in-house.

Just now, Nitrousbird said:

The alternator on mine is certainly not an AC Delco unit.  I can't recall the brand...I can say it's not a good unit.  I'm sure a lot of the parts these companies use are not built in-house.

At 15 years old, is it the original alternator?  I'd think it would be either a Delco or Prestolite

Just now, oldjeep said:

At 15 years old, is it the original alternator?  I'd think it would be either a Delco or Prestolite

Not the original, actually on my 3rd (first had a regulator issue, 2nd had a bearing issue replaced under warranty).  I can't recall the brand off hand and can't look at the one I have in a box since I am out of the country; this last one has held up for a couple of years but likes to make the occasional bearing noise. 

A couple of items relative to Malibu vertically integrating the engine business.  Recall they have a pretty strong link to GM, able to license and use the Corvette brand name on their boats so that helps on the relationship side to MB's comments on getting some genuine Mexican eats.  As for volume and sway within the marine market, GM has a marine division so a customer that gets a significant % of that business comes calling, yes it will matter to that business unit.  Also, they are staffing with some very capable people to make sure this comes off well and as noted, the marinizers job is well described in a couple of the previous posts.

7 hours ago, Woodski said:

A couple of items relative to Malibu vertically integrating the engine business.  Recall they have a pretty strong link to GM, able to license and use the Corvette brand name on their boats so that helps on the relationship side to MB's comments on getting some genuine Mexican eats. 

And by Mexico, you mean New York.  Not exactly similar.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/15/touring-tonowanda-where-gm-builds-the-new-gen-v-small-block/

• Like 2
On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 2:56 PM, MadMan said:

Along those same lines, I always found it interesting that Volvo Penta I/O engines were V8 and V6 Chevys.

Not always, they used ford blocks also.  The volvo penta sx cobra line used a fuel injected roller 302...

@Nitrousbird:  My comment was tongue in cheek to Michigan Boarders reference to customer service rather than any reference to assembly plant process'.  Nice link to the Tonawonda plant article. 

If anybody has not toured a major assembly plant of some sort, it is well worth the time and effort to do so and if you have young kids even better.  Most plants and particularly if you purchase a vehicle from that plant will host a tour.  Lots of very advanced and intricate process' to watch and see.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bamaboy said:

Is that a law @TenTwentyOne?

Over 500 HP don't need cats?

Yes, marine spark ignition engines over 500hp don't require catalytic converters. For instance, my XR7 in the G doesn't have cats. Ilmore has them on the 7.4, but doesn't need to. However, they wouldn't be able to say "At 522hp (390kW), the 7.4L is the most powerful catalyzed production marine engine available today." :biggrin:

3 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Yes, marine spark ignition engines over 500hp don't require catalytic converters. For instance, my XR7 in the G doesn't have cats. Ilmore has them on the 7.4, but doesn't need to. However, they wouldn't be able to say "At 522hp (390kW), the 7.4L is the most powerful catalyzed production marine engine available today." :biggrin:

Bring back the LS7.  That meets that rule.  I'm sure they can tweak the numbers to show 500+ HP on the LT1 or L86.  Then of course the LSA or getting around to adding the LT4 to the mix.  Though having CAT's isn't exactly a bad thing.

@Nitrousbird- LS7 would be an awesome choice. The LT4 would be an awesome engine as well, and I am hoping that we don't see carbon buildup issues with direct injection in marine engines. I would almost rather see the LS9, just to be on the safe side. Who knows....

The LS7 would be perfect though. Simple power..... 

I also agree that having converters is not necessarily a bad thing. The environmental impact should be considered..... The only advantage is that there is less stuff to fail. Simple is nice. That is why I like the LS7 so much. It is simpler than the LSA, and I don't think you'd ever notice much difference between them. I am also not a big fan of the supercharger whine in the LSA. It was cool at first, but then it gets old.

Found this info concerning Ilmor engines back in 2011 when MC was introducing them.  I'm not trying to compare Malibu to Ilmor, just using this as an example of the amount of in house R&D and casting Ilmor does.  Does anyone know if Malibu will do similar R&D and in house casting on their engines? 

"facility can produce 15,000 engines a year....Ilmor is casting their own individual runner intake manifold and tossing the GM truck manifold that the GM long blocks come with. Also, they are using their own design camshaft...  Ilmor cast their own bellhousing to relocate the starter on the top side of bellhousing....  As well as mounting the alternator on the top of the motor rather than down low. Also, the oil filter is top mounted in it's own drain tray... the CAT's are attached to the risers with VBand clamps like you'd see on a commercial turbocharged diesel engine for pressurized pipe. They are even building their own CAT's in the US...."

On 12/23/2016 at 11:58 PM, bamabonners said:

Found this info concerning Ilmor engines back in 2011 when MC was introducing them.  I'm not trying to compare Malibu to Ilmor, just using this as an example of the amount of in house R&D and casting Ilmor does.  Does anyone know if Malibu will do similar R&D and in house casting on their engines? 

"facility can produce 15,000 engines a year....Ilmor is casting their own individual runner intake manifold and tossing the GM truck manifold that the GM long blocks come with. Also, they are using their own design camshaft...  Ilmor cast their own bellhousing to relocate the starter on the top side of bellhousing....  As well as mounting the alternator on the top of the motor rather than down low. Also, the oil filter is top mounted in it's own drain tray... the CAT's are attached to the risers with VBand clamps like you'd see on a commercial turbocharged diesel engine for pressurized pipe. They are even building their own CAT's in the US...."

I'd say that you can expect to see a lot of that on the Malibu engines as well.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
On 12/23/2016 at 0:25 PM, TenTwentyOne said:

Interesting the Indmar Raptor 575 has Cats.  Why would they if they did not need to?   Malibu certified HP rating is 530hp 

On 12/23/2016 at 5:43 PM, dlb said:

LT5?....  ENGINE GAS CYL, 6.2L, SIDI, DOHC, VVT, ALUM, GM 

Destined for a mid engine Vette or your boat?  

bottom of page 5. https://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vincards/pdf/2018 Vincards Car 11-14-16 r1.0.pdf

That motor will very likely never see a boat. It will most likely be tuned for high revving operation without a ton of down low torque. 

I am sure it will be pricey. The last LT5 was pricey...and oddly enough assembled by Mercury Marine though was never meant for marine use. 

@ORMailbuboater Maybe just that they made that statement before the 575 came out...... or maybe because Ilmore bases everything off of CARB certifications, and I believe the Ilmore 7.4 is rated higher hp than the RSC indmar raptor on CARB certs.

Which actually brings me to another fun question..... when will indmar start offering the phase II supercharger setup for the marine raptor. That would be a nice upgrade. +50hp with about an hours worth of work.