Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perfect Pass Questions

lcgordon711

Hi guys first time post here. I actually dont have a malibu boat mine is an american skier. But it has the same motor which is Mercruiser 350 Mag TBI. I think it was in the 1994-1995 Echelon maybe more models. I have tried talking to everybody even perfect pass and I still cannot figure out the problem. My problem is once I accelerate off of idle (or rev the motor in neutral) the perfect pass works fine. But when I return to idle with the throttle or go to neutral the boat is still at about 1200 rpm. I have to lift the engine cover and push the throttle arm the little bit so it goes back to 700 rpm. 

So my question to you guys is 

1) Has anybody ever had this problem?

2) Can somebody with this motor post a picture of their perfect pass servo location and PP throttle cable routing. 

I will be taking out the boat this weekend (I put the hand drive arm back on) to get video and pictures of mine incase any body has any questions and would like to help.

Thanks again guys 

On my 2000 Fuel Injected motor I started having the same issue... I have not resolved mine. Mine started happening after I replaced the control cables, I did not replace the PerfectPass cable as of yet... but I did order a new cable for it and hoping this resolves it (something is sticking somewhere)

Thanks I appreciate the response. Please keep me updated if the new PP throttle cable fixes it. I think my cable may be too long for my set up. With it being too long it does not have a straight enough route making the brass L adapter swivel down and not let the throttle return to idle. I am just having so much trouble with it. Oh and it happens sometimes and sometimes it works. But most of the time it does not work. 

Just now, lcgordon711 said:

Thanks I appreciate the response. Please keep me updated if the new PP throttle cable fixes it. I think my cable may be too long for my set up. With it being too long it does not have a straight enough route making the brass L adapter swivel down and not let the throttle return to idle. I am just having so much trouble with it. Oh and it happens sometimes and sometimes it works. But most of the time it does not work. 

This is on my second boat and have not been motivated to try yet.. maybe this will ;)... I don't have the same linkage to the PP that you have... The one you have is the same as on a MasterCraft and my friend argued with me that my issue was that I did not have the L adapter... When I ordered the new replacement cable.. the instructions that came with did not have that L adapter... 

Haha Well good luck with it. I am so frustrated. I have tried 3 throttle cables. ( I bought my perfect pass in a box of parts and I put it all together to make a complete set.) I have like 6 different cables. 3 Really short ones and 3 Long ones. I had the short one  on first and if I remember correctly I never had this problem with the short cable. I changed it out because it was so short it was not allowing my boat to go wide open throttle. I needed the last little bit for barefooting. It only started happen as I went to the second cable that was pretty long. I changed to the third because it was a cable never been used and the 2nd cable was all bent up and I thought it was snagging inside the sheath. 

1 minute ago, lcgordon711 said:

Haha Well good luck with it. I am so frustrated. I have tried 3 throttle cables. ( I bought my perfect pass in a box of parts and I put it all together to make a complete set.) I have like 6 different cables. 3 Really short ones and 3 Long ones. I had the short one  on first and if I remember correctly I never had this problem with the short cable. I changed it out because it was so short it was not allowing my boat to go wide open throttle. I needed the last little bit for barefooting. It only started happen as I went to the second cable that was pretty long. I changed to the third because it was a cable never been used and the 2nd cable was all bent up and I thought it was snagging inside the sheath. 

Thanks for the motivation :( LOL... mine worked till I replaced control cables... My PP cable is bent and dewiring...

@lcgordon711:  The PP system functions better with a strong throttle return spring, that seems to provide a steady hand to the system.  Try that as one option.  Make sure your TBI linkage is free and the return to idle is smooth.  The PP / throttle linkage joint attachment to the TBI linkage also needs to be free and the L bracket needs to swivel freely.  Also, do all the PP checks for functionality, videos on the site on how to do it.  Cable length does not seem to make a big difference, as long as the cable operates freely and smoothly, I made my own and it is actually longer than any of the available ones from PP, works great.  Good luck.

• Like 2

@Woodski I think you possibly have the same motor as mine would you mind snapping a pic of your servo and cable location. I have messed with the tbi linkage and the return spring and it snaps the linkage back with alot of force. I will be playing with it some more this weekend at the lake. I will have better knowledge of what needs to happen after that. Aslo I did the servo motor check and it is ok. 

What I can think is happening is my cable is too long so it has kind of a loop or turn in the cable making it not quite a straight shot to the boat throttle cable. That is the only thing I can think of. 

Thanks guys

Lost our third for this weekend so could not go. Im going to have to wait until march. I did put an external spring on the throttle linkage helping it close. We will see.

Thanks again guys