Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help me spend my money, looking for a new wakeboard

toddrparr

All,

I submitted this topic on my local wakeboarding forum and all that I got was improve your technique and if you have good technique you can do any trick with a 2X4 strapped to your feet. That being said, I am soliciting advice on an upgrade to my current board. I currently ride a hyperlite state 2.0 with Ronix divide bindings. I would consider myself advance beginner to intermediate skill range, no real tricks - can go wake to wake, ride switch, surface jackassery, ect, but looking to improve. Looking for closed toe bindings and something much lighter with more pop, doesn't narrow it down much I know. Can of worms officially open. 

Such a personal choice on what you may or may not like. If at all possible search your area for demo days or shops that put rental $$ toward purchase or utilize your friends' quiver of boards to get a better idea of what you prefer.

Personally I like flex boards similar to the Slingshot line, in particular the smooth bottom versions. Thin, light, flex, smooth bottom are my criteria, but again, that's me. Other companies are making similar boards if you have a brand preference. Many people prefer the ride of a traditional stiff board. That may be why you got the responses you did on the other forum--it's tough to choose what someone else will like. 

I don't have a ton of experience to compare particular boards, but I will say that of the ~10 people I know and ride with one rides Hyperlite (Kruz) and everyone else goes with Ronix.  I personally have had good experiences with the One Timebomb and the Code 22.  I like the rounded edges through the center of the board.  They are also very light and great pop.  I ride a Code 22 with Parks boots.  The boots are softer in their lineup.  The One boot is more stiff.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with. 

Im with onwi.  Code 22 is a great beginner board.  I currently ride an obrien board and love it(Not they dont just make tubes).  They have two models Id recommend the Rome and the CTP.  The rome is much more forgiving and a Continuous Rocker while the CTP is a 3 stage and will give you a huge amount of pop.  The 3 stages take some getting used to, but are a lot of fun.  I ride the older version of the Rome and love its soft forgiving landings. But seriously, you can ride just about anything and be fine.  Heck, Dowdy won the tour riding a Company board...who even rides company anymore?  

Are you riding cable?  Thatll narrow your focus a lot.  Especially when it comes to boot options. 

1 minute ago, 05hammerhead said:

Im with onwi.  Code 22 is a great beginner board.  I currently ride an obrien board and love it(Not they dont just make tubes).  They have two models Id recommend the Rome and the CTP.  The rome is much more forgiving and a Continuous Rocker while the CTP is a 3 stage and will give you a huge amount of pop.  The 3 stages take some getting used to, but are a lot of fun.  I ride the older version of the Rome and love its soft forgiving landings. But seriously, you can ride just about anything and be fine.  Heck, Dowdy won the tour riding a Company board...who even rides company anymore?  

Are you riding cable?  Thatll narrow your focus a lot.  Especially when it comes to boot options. 

"But seriously, you can ride just about anything and be fine."  Goes back to technique and fundamentals... But also personal preference is a big factor... Demo.... Demo till you find what you are looking for... Everybody has a different riding preference... I ride a 5 stage rocker wooden board that is heavier than most... weight savings is not going to make you get more height on your wake to wake... I believe it will help with ollies...  but wake to wake height will not make a difference.. There are continuous rockers, hybrid rockers, 3 stage rockers, aggressive 3 stage rockers, etc... molded fins, tri fines, dual fins, different height in fins... different lengths... so many combinations that have an impact that either you keep buying till your happy or Demo.... all of them make a difference..

"Heck, Dowdy won the tour riding a Company board...who even rides company anymore? " LOL I might ride mine next weekend now because of this statement :).

Another question.. how are you setting up your boat for wake boarding? I will state that fundamentals are needed first (I have seen tantrums and air rallies behind a barefoot 200)... but you can always change you wake with more weight or wedge position (if you have an automated wedge)

Won't stop you from spending money... but without fundamentals, you will not notice much of difference on wake to wake.

• Like 2

I ride behind a boat 99% of the time, maybe 1 park trip a year. I run my boat full mls and wedge 1 click up, wake shape/size is not a problem. I am not expecting to magically improve by getting a board. My wife and I share the board right now and it is a pain to keep swapping fins in and out and such. I want a board just for me and she agreed to let me get it. I know I'm still learning. 

liquid force trip. - great all around board 

hyperlite franchise - little more aggressive than a trip liked it but was searching for more pop. 

Ronix one - this is a very nice board w straight up pop- slower in the water

ronix bill - very fun board, looser than all the others and great glide speed. 

Hyperlite murry - this board has been my favorite as it has great pop, but also has great glide speed and feels quick under your feet.   

• Like 3

Don't have info multiple boards but I'm currently riding a 2014 ronix one atr with 2013 one boots. The board as noted above is a 3 stage which gives it a lot of straight up pop but in order to make the most of it you've gotta be consistent. The 3 stage is nice for me because I like straight up pop more than I like shooting out into the flats but it does sit lower in the water making it slower and it tires you out quicker. I love the one boots. Once you go closed toe, you can't go back. They are so much more responsive and I feel I have much better control over the board. The one boots are one of the stiffest in the ronix line and it fits my preference due to the support for my feet/ankles and my riding style.  After two full seasons on this combo I'm happy and I don't think I would change anything.

Be sure to check out sites like evo and even eBay for deals. I was able to get my board and boots as the previous season's models for ~$350. All that was different from the newer models were the graphics.

17 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

"Heck, Dowdy won the tour riding a Company board...who even rides company anymore? " LOL I might ride mine next weekend now because of this statement :).

HAHA!  YES! That being said, you can ride anything and be successful. ;)   (Like I should talk, I ride Obrien)

Im with Kerpluxal, if a place will let you demo, do that.  Nowhere by me does so Ive gone through a few boards before finding one Im really happy with and Ill still probably will buy something differerent next year.

21 hours ago, toddrparr said:

All,

I submitted this topic on my local wakeboarding forum and all that I got was improve your technique and if you have good technique you can do any trick with a 2X4 strapped to your feet. That being said, I am soliciting advice on an upgrade to my current board. I currently ride a hyperlite state 2.0 with Ronix divide bindings. I would consider myself advance beginner to intermediate skill range, no real tricks - can go wake to wake, ride switch, surface jackassery, ect, but looking to improve. Looking for closed toe bindings and something much lighter with more pop, doesn't narrow it down much I know. Can of worms officially open. 

I have been riding a Ronix One ATR for past two seasons, nice board but always seemed a little unforgiving.  I am not that great of a wakeboarder, actually more like I kinda suck... last season I took a ride on a friends Slingshot Recoil for the first time.  I am 6'1 200ish lbs, this board was a 146 which is a little bigger than I normally ride.  I was really impressed with the Slingshot, infact I had one of the best wakeboard runs ever.  The board had great pop off the wake and the landings were very soft because of the flex in the slingshot design.  Lol, even my son commented on how the silverback was throwing it down :biggrin: the extra flex was really nice on my aching knees! So my next board will be a slingshot, the Ronix is definitely very stiff and rigid in comparison to the Slingshot.  Make sure and give Slingshot a look!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Fman said:

I have been riding a Ronix One ATR for past two seasons, nice board but always seemed a little unforgiving.  I am not that great of a wakeboarder, actually more like I kinda suck... last season I took a ride on a friends Slingshot Recoil for the first time.  I am 6'1 200ish lbs, this board was a 146 which is a little bigger than I normally ride.  I was really impressed with the Slingshot, infact I had one of the best wakeboard runs ever.  The board had great pop off the wake and the landings were very soft because of the flex in the slingshot design.  Lol, even my son commented on how the silverback was throwing it down :biggrin: the extra flex was really nice on my aching knees! So my next board will be a slingshot, the Ronix is definitely very stiff and rigid in comparison to the Slingshot.  Make sure and give Slingshot a look!

Yeah, the One ATR is one of the stiffest most unforgiving boards out there.  That said, it has some of the biggest pops too.

On 11/14/2016 at 11:12 AM, toddrparr said:

All,

I have a Liquid Force Watson that I would sell.  Been meaning to post in in the classifieds but just haven't done it yet.  It has closed toe bindings size 8-9.  It's a great board and in excellent shape.  I've barely used it the past two seasons.  

Let me know if you're interested.

I just picked up a complete cwb dowdy with closed toe for 350 shipped from evo.com.  Almost half the regular price.  Seems to be a pretty awesome board for the money.  Won't be able to ride it here in New England for a while. 

I switched to slingshot from a hyperlight forefront.  I love the flex and soft landings like Fman mentioned. I'm 6'4" and hefty so I went the the biggest nomad (165). I have heard that most slingshots ride similar. I have ridden a recoil too and it was very similar in its ride characteristics just in a smaller package. My favorite board I have ridden was a Watson hybrid but the biggest they make is a 143, I think, which is a bit too small for me. Wish they made that or something similar in a 148 or so. I ride slingshot RAD boots and have been very happy with them but that was coming from torq hinge lock open toe. I am a big fan of closed toe now. So much more connected to the board. I agree that the board is a small part of how you ride but that won't stop me or many others from chasing that perfect board. 

Check out Humanoid! i originally rode Byerly/Hyperlite, then my local pro shop ( The Edge ) here in Kzoo, got me setup on Humanoid and i never looked back.  The 1up is an awesome 3 stage boat board to give a try. Or if you are more of a continuous rocker fan, the Oracle or the O'Shea are awesome as well!  

I've got a Ronix District. It's known to be a great beginner/intermediate board. It's rarely mentioned when people ask about what board to get, but whenever someone mention's it, it seems like other people rally behind it and also acknowledge that it's a great diverse board. I've also had 2 advance riders try it and they really liked it.

I think it's main disadvantage is it's width makes edge transitions a little slower than smaller boards. I never felt this before because I've been riding it all year, but I did try a small board the other day and felt the difference a little bit. To be honest though, as a beginner/intermediate I feel like it's still an advantage because the slower transition makes it more predictable and smoother.

I haven't been on a ton of boards or anything like that, so take hat I said with a grain of salt. But let's see if anyone else has any opinion on the District.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2016 at 11:52 AM, timelinex said:

I've got a Ronix District. It's known to be a great beginner/intermediate board. It's rarely mentioned when people ask about what board to get, but whenever someone mention's it, it seems like other people rally behind it and also acknowledge that it's a great diverse board. I've also had 2 advance riders try it and they really liked it.

I think it's main disadvantage is it's width makes edge transitions a little slower than smaller boards. I never felt this before because I've been riding it all year, but I did try a small board the other day and felt the difference a little bit. To be honest though, as a beginner/intermediate I feel like it's still an advantage because the slower transition makes it more predictable and smoother.

I haven't been on a ton of boards or anything like that, so take hat I said with a grain of salt. But let's see if anyone else has any opinion on the District.

I just moved from a Ronix Vault to the District this past summer.  So far, I love it.  I tried 6 different boards but this one just seemed like the best fit.  For some reason I was more confident and it seemed more steady than all the others .  I'm sure its more of a practice/technique thing, but once I switched I was was finally able to go wake-to-wake.  Had the best runs of my life at the end of the summer on it. 

The other one I liked (and I'm trying to find one on clearance) was the Hyperlite Marek Bio.  It seemed the opposite of steady, but it was more slippery and was super fun to ride.  My brother-in-law (who I share with) didn't like it as much so we went with the District.   I was almost able to finally do a backside 180 on it (on the test run nonetheless).