Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help. No luck buying new boat

Koher71

3 hours ago, Koher71 said:

@The Hulk haha I like your style. I love finding deals. A 25 footers  wave would be epic but storing and fueling that big guy would suck! 

ahh find somebody with a pole barn storage ... heck the price you could get it for would justify $500-600/yr in storage your still way ahead for numerous years of storage .... cheaper than used for new!

@The Hulk haha I like your style. I love finding deals. A 25 footers  wave would be epic but storing and fueling that big guy would suck! 

with new tranny the fuel is not bad at all, just the initial 77 gal fill up! ha but actually with the new trannys even the 2016 model with a 1.76:1 and the 450 is not bad at all, i was very shocked how little i did use frankly. Granted i was coming from a 23 lsv with a 1.25:1 and the 555hp which also did well... but i feel i burn about the same amount as i did with that boat... 

19 hours ago, Koher71 said:

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not opposed to a used boat. How is the buying process? Find one, make contact, show a finance company to get loan(giving I don't have 80k sitting around) then make the deal?  

@granddaddy55 we are staying under 23' so we can keep it in my garage. We would probably keep the boat for quite some time and whenever we upgrade to having a shop we could upgrade to a bigger boat? 

I agree with @darkside about time running out of time on the 16s and if we wanted to settle for the 21 vlx, custom orders would need to be put in soon to have it by spring.  So much to think about. Why won't some of these dealers like example Oregon city has a beautiful vlx that was demoed but they won't sell to us. Is it because they hate Californians? Shoot I Californians. Oregon has no sales tax but the minute u drag into CA to register it u get hit taxes on top of taxes?? I even called some dealer in Texas said he won't sell to us. I think that was a nautique dealer ?. 

If you have not owned a Malibu pnp not modified out the ying yang you haven't lived yet. My axis not ying yang modified is a pain in the a** and both you and /or dealer can make lots of mistakes installing sacs and properly cutting and placing lines and fittings.   @DarkSide has all of that knocked out in the boat you desire you just have to get him to reveal exactly why he is getting rid of perfection as he sees it! plus extra and faster multiple filling and emptying two way pumps.  Knowing what I know now from these forums and my experience I'd by his and see if California law helps you skip sales tax in boat. 

All the dealers are slow, get in line, but you won't have to cause dark side stood in line already for you.  

Love my new very simple ordered 2014 Axis more fir its capabilities and cost.  If I was going BU, I go used with the efficient gear ratio and prop already on boat, ballast issues done, cause even the good prices are STUPID!  I don't find buying new makes you any more special to dealer especially after you start getting picky with them about their methods and results and the level of care for your boat while in their hands.  Try the south with rain, rock and dirt boat yards, and the moment they put you outside with out you knowing and your boat is filthy for no reason st all cause they forgot to put the cover on or whatever other stupidity the dream up that day. 

Oh yea lord help you if they then decide to wash that dust that is now mud down inside your boat or not and then  you get to vacuum it when it was dry but you can't believe your eyes of hiw much and everywhere it is including the necessity to vacuum the cover top and bottom to recover it as well.  

Needless to say this and many other things have us now in divorce court never to speak again!!!

Edited by granddaddy55

You know... Once u go 25... You can't go back..... It's epic.. 

22 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

@granddaddy55 my motives are fairly simple...my MXZ wont do this. ...

9863_zpssg7mj8fj.png

I was going to say something smart a** until I realized that was a regular wave with a far backcurling lip, I've only crated close to that shape in goofy , if that's the regular wave of a boat without a big list, I get your point.  So which wave is that , m235?

Tried to sell your boat, man said he wanted a  22mxz, I'd buy yours if I wanted one 

so since your still chasing the ultimate wavewhen are we going to see your version of "Endless Summer".  Your photo on wakeboard surfing was quite unique.  Can't wait for your vids

Edited by granddaddy55
6 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

I was going to say something smart a** until I realized that was a regular wave with a far backcurling lip, I've only crated close to that shape in goofy , if that's the regular wave of a boat without a big list, I get your point.  So which wave is that , m235?

Tried to sell your boat, man said he wanted a  22mxz, I'd buy yours if I wanted one 

so since your still chasing the ultimate wavewhen are we going to see your version of "Endless Summer".  Your photo on wakeboard surfing was quite unique.  Can't wait for your vids

Thank you for the support.  That is a Centurion RI257 wave.  I appreciate the publicity for the surfer!   I am a little nervous about going centurion, but the wave is unreal.  Crazy the difference, not in size or shape, though those are slightly different also.  Its the power and push, the firmness, it is a different level.  That said, it is not as plush as.the BU.  kinda like going to a buick from a cadillac, the buick is still nice,  but its not a cadillac!

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

Thank you for the support.  That is a Centurion RI257 wave.  I appreciate the publicity for the surfer!   I am a little nervous about going centurion, but the wave is unreal.  Crazy the difference, not in size or shape, though those are slightly different also.  Its the power and push, the firmness, it is a different level.  That said, it is not as plush as.the BU.  kinda like going to a buick from a cadillac, the buick is still nice,  but its not a cadillac!

At Surfest 2015 in the boardco boat with Mitch and his pro driver I asked them while my wife was surfing to dial up the biggest wave they could and with a push of a button it was shoulder high to a 5 3" girl, with a face that looked more like an offshore wave getting ready to break. 

Good move chasing the wave.  In essence they are a better NSS aren't they.  Sorry to say but surfgate sucks compared to NSS. Not saying you cNt have nice dialed SG wave, it's that the NSS doesn't take much more than a lot of weight and a small list, G stock and you almost don't need the weight.  Rode NSS all summer 2013 model and it beats SG all to hell especially for transfers, the counter steering is only slightly nevessary for full wave formation not 3.5 -4 seconds from flipping the switch , with BU axis you have to do it to form the wave cause if you don't the steering physics of the paddles fights the formation 

as far as Cadillac is concerned coming from a pinto perspective as long as the folding tower mechanism is solid , that is the biggest real issue for me in the hot and humid south putting it up to go to water, I literally sweat a gallon and have to put it back before I ride or surf.

Edited by granddaddy55
3 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

At Surfest 2015 in the boardco boat with Mitch and his pro driver I asked them while my wife was surfing to dial up the biggest wave they could and with a push of a button it was shoulder high to a 5 3" girl, with a face that looked more like an offshore wave getting ready to break. 

Good move chasing the wave.  In essence they are a better NSS aren't they.  Sorry to say but surfgate sucks compared to NSS. Not saying you cNt have nice dialed SG wave, it's that the NSS doesn't take much more than a lot of weight and a small list, G stock and you almost don't need the weight.  Rode NSS all summer 2013 and it beats SG all to hell especially for transfers, the counter steering is only slightly nevessary for full wave formation not 3.5 -4 seconds from flipping the switch 

Faster wave switching is on the BU, the axis has slower actuators.  Actually BU has my favorite transfer, with lights and horns it makes timing SO much easier.   

NSS and Surfgate are VERY similar, just NSS allows you to stick the gate out in varying degrees like @The Hulk wants to do.  The guys at Boardco do a really good job explaining surf systems here.. .http://www.mmwatersports.com/boat-performance/surf-systems-101/

5 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

Faster wave switching is on the BU, the axis has slower actuators.  Actually BU has my favorite transfer, with lights and horns it makes timing SO much easier.   

NSS and Surfgate are VERY similar, just NSS allows you to stick the gate out in varying degrees like @The Hulk wants to do.  The guys at Boardco do a really good job explaining surf systems here.. .http://www.mmwatersports.com/boat-performance/surf-systems-101/

Yea my 2014 is the slow 3.5 second rams from 2013 BU, but I think they are sane as Bu since 15 or 16 

4 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

Yea my 2014 is the slow 3.5 second rams from 2013 BU, but I think they are sane as Bu since 15 or 16 

16 are way faster bigger stronger the motor is off side of the ram.. transfer is quite easy with a 16 .. I'm not sure when they changed I thought it was in 15 though..  a transfer on my 13 was just not possible... Maybe now I might be able to since I have the feel but still doubt it.. lag time in the middle where u can't surf either side is so long but in the newer bigger rams transfers are easy as pie.. 

Gates absolutely need adjusting angles maybe at least 3 presets.. may tinker with a lenco position switch spliced inbetween actuators and maliview to see if it's possible.. the question is if those actuators have the same internals/sensor as the others I'm thinking so.. so should work.. I hope.. would help a ton for grinds having more lip close to boat instead of being so wide and washed out.. 

Edited by The Hulk
5 hours ago, DarkSide said:

@granddaddy55 my motives are fairly simple...my MXZ wont do this. ...

9863_zpssg7mj8fj.png

Damn!??? I don't think I could ever own a centurion but I do gotta give their surf wave credit. How much aftermarket weight is in that boat?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Koher71 said:

Damn!??? I don't think I could ever own a centurion but I do gotta give their surf wave credit. How much aftermarket weight is in that boat?

Exactly 0.0 pounds!  

caveate... this thing is 6150 dry and factory includes 5550 of ballast.  Add 100 gallons of gas, a couple buddies,  you have a 13,000 pound wake makin monster.   Centurion is not the same as they used to be.  They were purchased by Nautique in 2015, hired new tallent and voilla .... awesomeness is coming from CA....

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

Exactly 0.0 pounds!  

caveate... this thing is 6150 dry and factory includes 5550 of ballast.  Add 100 gallons of gas, a couple buddies,  you have a 13,000 pound wake makin monster.   Centurion is not the same as they used to be.  They were purchased by Nautique in 2015, hired new tallent and voilla .... awesomeness is coming from CA....

That is interesting. Glad to hear they're not the same old boats they use to be. I hated the wake and just about every time I was in my buddy's centurion we were getting towed back to the docks... I had no clue Nautique bought them out either

Just now, Koher71 said:

That is interesting. Glad to hear they're not the same old boats they use to be. I hated the wake and just about every time I was in my buddy's centurion we were getting towed back to the docks... I had no clue Nautique bought them out either

I can relate, when i told my wife we had a demo scheduled....she was like WHY????  

You may want to look at a RI217.  (21' 7" ) definitely not as plush as a 22 VLX, stellar surf wave, if you wakeboard the 22 VLX is better fit.   There are a few '16 out there that could be had in the 90's

Anybody have any info on the 17 21 vlx? The ride? Wake or wave? Compared to a 22. I've got to too look at a few in person. Interior not as bad as I thought it woulda been. Still not the same plushness to the rest of the wakesetter lineup 

7 hours ago, The Hulk said:

16 are way faster bigger stronger the motor is off side of the ram.. transfer is quite easy with a 16 .. I'm not sure when they changed I thought it was in 15 though..  a transfer on my 13 was just not possible... Maybe now I might be able to since I have the feel but still doubt it.. lag time in the middle where u can't surf either side is so long but in the newer bigger rams transfers are easy as pie.. 

Gates absolutely need adjusting angles maybe at least 3 presets.. may tinker with a lenco position switch spliced inbetween actuators and maliview to see if it's possible.. the question is if those actuators have the same internals/sensor as the others I'm thinking so.. so should work.. I hope.. would help a ton for grinds having more lip close to boat instead of being so wide and washed out.. 

Yep your 13 SG is exactly same system as my 14 axis , still trying to figure out the counter steer and finding a way to stay close to platform on the transfer to side to allow for wave formation, I refuse to use the rope , I kill NSS transfers in their 2013 system, there automatic, I even taught the owner of the G to do them with only a slight countersteer into wave that Nss does not need to insure full formation on transfer side in 3.5-4 seconds from hitting switch, he is not good at backside and it made no difference, that system is superior for transfers 

7 hours ago, DarkSide said:

Exactly 0.0 pounds!  

Displacement by hull it's the main emphasis of both now nautique lines , I love the g wave with the stock 2800. But that fat hull does the job

Prettiest wake boat I ever saw was an Enzo direct drive believe closed bow top of shell yellow and yellow 1/2 down  the sides to a bkack bottom with a beautiful black tower and if looked like yellow wetsounds? Tower speakers, super sexy boat 

Edited by granddaddy55
4 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

Yep your 13 SG is exactly same system as my 14 axis , still trying to figure out the counter steer and finding a way to stay close to platform on the transfer to side to allow for wave formation, I refuse to use the rope , I kill NSS transfers in their 2013 system, there automatic, I even taught the owner of the G to do them with only a slight countersteer into wave that Nss does not need to insure full formation on transfer side in 3.5-4 seconds from hitting switch, he is not good at backside and it made no difference, that system is superior for transfers 

I used rope hand full of times before getting the hang of it.. but on a 13 it's just so slow.. u could probably upgrade the rams easily..

17 hours ago, Koher71 said:

Anybody have any info on the 17 21 vlx? The ride? Wake or wave? Compared to a 22. I've got to too look at a few in person. Interior not as bad as I thought it woulda been. Still not the same plushness to the rest of the wakesetter lineup 

The 21VLX is pretty impressive.  It may be lacking some of the "finish" features of the others in the line up, but wake and wave is legit.  I'm a bigger guy and need the extra weight usually in boat to surf.  We did one boat with stock ballast, 475 PNP in both lockers and I was actually surprised how good the wave was.  No problem going ropeless.

The 21VLX does have an 1:48 transmission, but that is intentional to get the skiing speeds easier.  You will get more top end speed in it vs the 22VLX, not only because it's a little lighter, but because it's geared differently.  In our local area the 21 has been pretty popular.  The 4 that sold were sold before they even landed.  

It's a great boat, at a great price.  Don't let the none believers get to you. :)

• Like 3