Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help. No luck buying new boat

Koher71

My wife and I have been boat shopping all season and due to our insane work schedule unable  to make a purchase  and let plenty of great deals on boats pass us by. We live in Northern California (shasta lake) and have only one Dealer in town which doesn't seem to have the best reputation but they are a malibu dealer.  We are looking at the vlx but have had no luck landing a deal. Our first problem is that we have found a few left over 22 vlx's in other areas but these dealers won't even deal with me once they find out where I'm calling from. I've heard of the communist dealership boundary crap but figured if they aren't having luck selling a certain boat then wouldn't they welcome anybody that is a serious potential buyer on a left over boat? How can I get around this? I've talked to dealers in Sacramento , the bay and even ventura (s. Ca) who said they have the OK from the reps to sell to us considering whatever the issues are with our local dealer. However they sold their 2016s mostly and now are getting 17s in which my wife and I aren't sure we are willing to go beyond budget since im guessing 17s will be going for 100+ out the door till the later part of 2017. We are aware of the 2017 21 vlx and it's sweet price but we are still shooting for a left over 22. Love the room and the pop up wake view seats. 
Our second problem is pricing. As of lately we came across a 16 vlx that was used by the dealership owner over the summer but they have it priced pretty high considering. What would u guys have offered? I threw him a number that was 6-7k under what he was asking for. He didn't even Budge. What gives? Sorry this was so long. We are just super frustrated and don't have much extra time to be getting the run around. I figured mid 80s on a 16 that hasn't moved off the floor woulda been a fair deal and that's kinda at the end of our budget. 

Why not set your sites on any 22+ Ft holdover of any model well equipped in your budget and get that, maybe the mxz is known as the surf boat and gets premium in your area, they all surf well when you ninja the weight and slightly list the boat and in Malibu/Axis lots of nose and front weight to lower the nose and lengthen the wave. Don't get hung up on an mxz

why not haggle and save money and possibly sales tax(louisiana we only register the trailer from used sale saving boat sales tax, CA??) with @DarkSide (has a 22 or 24 mxz) even though not new he has all the kinks worked out and ridiculous ballast systems and the monster surf wave. He's on your end of country and it would br worth the drive, you don't have adequate truck to go get or your going lift only? He just detailed it

Edited by granddaddy55
  • Like 2

@Koher71 Problem is the longer you wait the shorter the supply of leftovers.  i don't think my Malibu dealer has any 2016 new boats left.  Here is a couple simple questions.  1. How long do you intend to keep it?  If only a year or two , find a slightly used 15/16 as the first owner took the lions share or the depreciation.  If you intend to keep longer a new boat may be a better fit.  Unless you are set on new, and are open to a slightly used boat (still under warranty) you can save a ton of cash buying a 15/16.  A used boat should have all the kinks worked out, plus it will likely have a few "extras", ballast bags, maybe stereo upgrades, etc.  these little add ons quickly turn into serious money.    It would also open the door to much more boat for the same money.   

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

Is buying from a dealer a must for you? I understand if it is a leftover you will get the full warranty, which is a plus for sure. Although as @DarkSide mentioned the inventory may be gone or very slim already.

I just did a quick search on onlyinboards.com and there are 23 2015-16 VLX's listed across the country. 3 in Cali.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not opposed to a used boat. How is the buying process? Find one, make contact, show a finance company to get loan(giving I don't have 80k sitting around) then make the deal?  

@granddaddy55 we are staying under 23' so we can keep it in my garage. We would probably keep the boat for quite some time and whenever we upgrade to having a shop we could upgrade to a bigger boat? 

I agree with @darkside about time running out of time on the 16s and if we wanted to settle for the 21 vlx, custom orders would need to be put in soon to have it by spring.  So much to think about. Why won't some of these dealers like example Oregon city has a beautiful vlx that was demoed but they won't sell to us. Is it because they hate Californians? Shoot I Californians. Oregon has no sales tax but the minute u drag into CA to register it u get hit taxes on top of taxes?? I even called some dealer in Texas said he won't sell to us. I think that was a nautique dealer ?. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Koher71 said:

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not opposed to a used boat. How is the buying process? Find one, make contact, show a finance company to get loan(giving I don't have 80k sitting around) then make the deal?  

@granddaddy55 we are staying under 23' so we can keep it in my garage. We would probably keep the boat for quite some time and whenever we upgrade to having a shop we could upgrade to a bigger boat? 

I agree with @darkside about time running out of time on the 16s and if we wanted to settle for the 21 vlx, custom orders would need to be put in soon to have it by spring.  So much to think about. Why won't some of these dealers like example Oregon city has a beautiful vlx that was demoed but they won't sell to us. Is it because they hate Californians? Shoot I Californians. Oregon has no sales tax but the minute u drag into CA to register it u get hit taxes on top of taxes?? I even called some dealer in Texas said he won't sell to us. I think that was a nautique dealer ?. 

That is second part of buying used.  There are NO BORDERS.  Most used boats are available at dealers.  So buying process is the same as a new boat.   If you go private party and avoid sales taxes, you would need Hull ID, etc to get boat loan, proceeds transferred via wire transfer, and your done.  The vast majority of 15/16 are people upgrading to new 17's.  

As ronnie noted 16 has 5 year 15 has 3 year warranty.  Also base engine in 16 is much better than base in a 15.  Surfband was included in 16, but there are people that upgraded thier 15, as it was backwards compatible. 

Good luck in your search!  IF you opt for new, the sales incentives expire in 30 days!  

1 hour ago, Koher71 said:

Why won't some of these dealers like example Oregon city has a beautiful vlx that was demoed but they won't sell to us. Is it because they hate Californians? Shoot I Californians. Oregon has no sales tax but the minute u drag into CA to register it u get hit taxes on top of taxes?? I even called some dealer in Texas said he won't sell to us. I think that was a nautique dealer ?. 

This has always been an issue for the buyer. The dealers do it for several reasons. Prices for new boats are different all over the country. The MSRP is the same but some dealers are of the mind set that quantity equals lower pricing. Some dealers can't do that large of a quantity because the buying population is smaller in their area so they can't afford to discount as much as a larger volume dealer can. If the dealer network allowed a buyer to buy from anywhere, the buyers would go to the volume dealers and not the smaller local dealer, the little guy would soon be out of the Malibu business because they can't compete. It protects the dealer from selling against each other. You'll find if you do buy from an out of area dealer, your local dealer will almost always put you at the back of the line when you need service or warranty work because you went elsewhere and spent your money with the other dealer. The buyers that bought local get the preferred treatment. No use in going to Malibu to complain either. They support the dealer network.

Just now, Ronnie said:

This has always been an issue for the buyer. The dealers do it for several reasons. Prices for new boats are different all over the country. The MSRP is the same but some dealers are of the mind set that quantity equals lower pricing. Some dealers can't do that large of a quantity because the buying population is smaller in their area so they can't afford to discount as much as a larger volume dealer can. If the dealer network allowed a buyer to buy from anywhere, the buyers would go to the volume dealers and not the local, the smaller local, little guy would soon be out of the Malibu business because they can't compete. It protects the dealer from selling against each other. You'll find if you do buy from an out of area dealer, your local dealer will almost always put you at the back of the line when you need service or warranty work because you went elsewhere and spent your money with the other dealer. The buyers that bought local get the preferred treatment. No use in going to Malibu to complain either. They support the dealer network.

This service "Arrangement" will likely be the same if you buy a used boat!  IF the dealer has 2 warranty jobs, 1 for "thier" customer, and 1 for someone who didn't buy a boat from them.  Its not rocket science to know which boat gets priority.  I am not saying they won't work with you,  or wont honor warranty, just know where you will be in the pecking order.

• Like 2

If you buy used and save THOUSANDS, who cares about sales territory, warranty, or which Malibu dealer will value you as a customer? ANY Indmar certified shop can service your boat or do the required inspection that would allow you to transfer an existing warranty. The drive train is where the big money warranty claims are. Make sure you have a local certified Indmar shop with a good reputation for customer service and then stop weighing yourself down with this territory and warranty silliness. It's what all of the cool kids do!  

Willing to drive up to Portland to Active Water Sports?  Inventory still shows 3 new 2016s still for sale.  20VTX, 22MXZ(says price reduced) and 22 VLX (Promo boat).    

http://www.activeh2o.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventory#page=xNewInventory&year=2016&make=malibu boats&d=on&t=new

Ask for Chantel or Mason

OREGON CITY

1224 MCLOUGHLIN BLVD.

OREGON CITY, OR 97046

PHONE: 503.650.5991

1 US dollar is worth $1.35 Canadian dollars. 

I would try shopping Wizard Lake Marine here in Canada (BC and Alberta locations).

They have stock and are no longer a Malibu Dealership. If i were them i would want to sell the Malibu's out of area and sell the brands i warranty and service locally. Maybe there is a deal for you?

http://www.wizardlakemarine.com/new-boats/?filter_brand= malibu

23 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

I wonder if dealers by or sell to each other?  I would sure look into transferring warranty's first.

Steve B.

When I was shopping a dealer 450 miles away wouldn't sell a new boat to me, but would sell it to my local dealer if I knew for sure I wanted that boat, and I had to work out that $$ with my local dealer.  I was under the impression that you could purchase anywhere you want if you don't have a trade in, and you walk into the dealership ready to make a deal.  They might not tell you this over the phone, but if you walk in there ready to buy, it might be another story.  If you have a trade-in, they will likely refuse if they aren't your local dealer.  I might be wrong......but driving a few hours would be worth saving thousands IMO.

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

This has always been an issue for the buyer. The dealers do it for several reasons. Prices for new boats are different all over the country. The MSRP is the same but some dealers are of the mind set that quantity equals lower pricing. Some dealers can't do that large of a quantity because the buying population is smaller in their area so they can't afford to discount as much as a larger volume dealer can. If the dealer network allowed a buyer to buy from anywhere, the buyers would go to the volume dealers and not the smaller local dealer, the little guy would soon be out of the Malibu business because they can't compete. It protects the dealer from selling against each other. You'll find if you do buy from an out of area dealer, your local dealer will almost always put you at the back of the line when you need service or warranty work because you went elsewhere and spent your money with the other dealer. The buyers that bought local get the preferred treatment. No use in going to Malibu to complain either. They support the dealer network.

This is the case. I drive 3 hrs because I did not buy from my local..  and if I have an issue obviously they don't want to deal with it...  and rightfully so now on the other hand one thing you will find with some of the small dealers is that they're normal time frames are quite long and sometimes the volume dealers have more people on hand and can service faster at least this is the case I found so the 3-hour drive is worth it if your boat can be fixed within a week or less vs the guy down the road that may take two weeks to a month... when your season is only 3 or 4 months at tops losing a month is not an option.. 

• Like 3

The best deal I've ever seen is on a 25 lsv I know it's too big for you but it can be had for probably near 100 k now I think that asking price is about 105 K currently and they're looking to dump it I'm sure you could negotiate I've tried to convince @granddaddy55 to pick it up haha.. if I was going to be spending a hundred K I would be jumping all over that brand new boat with a G4 it's about what a 22 would cost with same options.... Crazy cheaper than used... and if I were you I'd be driving from California to Indiana to pick it up! Pay for storage in till you get your barn built! 

Edited by The Hulk
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, ORMailbuboater said:

Willing to drive up to Portland to Active Water Sports?  Inventory still shows 3 new 2016s still for sale.  20VTX, 22MXZ(says price reduced) and 22 VLX (Promo boat).    

http://www.activeh2o.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventory#page=xNewInventory&year=2016&make=malibu boats&d=on&t=new

Ask for Chantel or Mason

OREGON CITY

1224 MCLOUGHLIN BLVD.

OREGON CITY, OR 97046

PHONE: 503.650.5991

@ORMailbuboater hey there green demo boat caught our eye and it's only about  beautiful 7hr drive up north from my place but that's who my wife called and said they're boundary stops in Eugene... Broke my heart 

9 hours ago, Sixer said:

When I was shopping a dealer 450 miles away wouldn't sell a new boat to me, but would sell it to my local dealer if I knew for sure I wanted that boat, and I had to work out that $$ with my local dealer.  I was under the impression that you could purchase anywhere you want if you don't have a trade in, and you walk into the dealership ready to make a deal.  They might not tell you this over the phone, but if you walk in there ready to buy, it might be another story.  If you have a trade-in, they will likely refuse if they aren't your local dealer.  

Interested if it is true. I don't have a trade in. Some people are in disbelief that I can't just buy a boat out of area that is nearly a year old now. I understand what @DarkSideand @Ronnie said about small dealers losing business to larger dealers that can discount boats. What If I could buy from another area and just kept my mouth shut about where I got it and everyone is happy. No I suck at lying... What the reps stand point in a situation like mine? Do they even have a say any in boundary game? It's just what some dealer told me that they dealt with another buyer from my area and said the rep gave them the ok to make the sell due to our issues at the local dealer... Is this a malibu thing? At a boat show when I had a conversation with the nautique rep, he was listing off all the 210s on the west coast I should call up. Never mentioned dealer boundaries. 

A lot of you guys have shown me a few listings on available 15/16s so I'm staying positive we will find a great deal. Is there any websites that i might have skipped? I know not every dealer posts their boats on boat trader, onlyinboards.com or Craigslist but is there any other sites?

I can't imagine a dealer turning you away in person.   You show up ready willing and able to buy a boat and they will sell it to you.   

Let's be honest if they were not interested in selling to ANY qualified buyer they wouldn't advertise nationally. 

Ronnie and I are just pointing out there will be consequences with warranty or service work. 

• Like 2

I've always been under the impression that after October 1 leftovers are "fair game" with no territories.  It makes no sense that any dealer would not sell you a leftover '16 this time of year, trade or no trade. The bigger issue is that you are not comfortable with your local dealer, service consideration is the same buying new or used. What dealer has the best reputation in your area?