Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Raptor 460 Engine from Indmar

tjklein

I don't know if anyone else posted this, but it looks like Indmar is trying to answer their dealer's request for a better mid-level engine.  Too many people are skipping the overpriced upgrade for the 440.  That being said I don't know how different this will be than the 400/410 Raptor.  It still looks pretty close, but they did improve the intake and exhaust.  And LED lights!  (oh boy...)

http://www.waterskimag.com/indmar-expands-raptor-portfolio

Edited by tjklein
5 hours ago, KJKimball said:

Intake is totally different and taller.  The throttle body is bigger, the flame arrestor is bigger too.  The exhaust is the larger sections off the 575 that couples to a 5" outlet instead of 4".  And yes, the tune is different too in ways to take advantage of the changes to the intake and exhaust.  

I have a friend with a wakeboard school in Orlando who has been running a 460 in his 2016 24MXZ for many months.  He ran the 440 for 480 hours before Indmar installed a 460 so he has a good handle on how the 440 did in the boat.  With the 460, he is running the same 4280lb ballast and 160lb driver, prop, and 1.76:1 gear ratio as the 440.  The 460 has reduced his weekly fuel burn by 20% and attributes this to the fact that the planing times are cut in half compared to the 440.  He now has over 500 hours on the 460 and is very happy with the performance.  

I heard rumors of this over the summer and it's great to hear that they delivered on a decent upgrade from the 410.  Thanks for the info.

The mid tier engines are getting so good,  it is making the SuperCharged engines a very tough sell.   I have an LSA and love the power, but with the new tranny ratios, the mid tier engine puts almost the same TQ at the prop as the supercharged engines, at a fraction of the cost.

So you save $10k on the SC option, and the mid tier engines are happy with 89 octane vs. 93, so its the gift that keeps on giving!

• Like 3
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 6:31 AM, KJKimball said:

Intake is totally different and taller.  The throttle body is bigger, the flame arrestor is bigger too.  The exhaust is the larger sections off the 575 that couples to a 5" outlet instead of 4".  And yes, the tune is different too in ways to take advantage of the changes to the intake and exhaust.  

I have a friend with a wakeboard school in Orlando who has been running a 460 in his 2016 24MXZ for many months.  He ran the 440 for 480 hours before Indmar installed a 460 so he has a good handle on how the 440 did in the boat.  With the 460, he is running the same 4280lb ballast and 160lb driver, prop, and 1.76:1 gear ratio as the 440.  The 460 has reduced his weekly fuel burn by 20% and attributes this to the fact that the planing times are cut in half compared to the 440.  He now has over 500 hours on the 460 and is very happy with the performance.  

Only thing I would add that I was told from my source is that the cost will not be much less than the 550. However he didn't give an exact cost.