Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 HeyDay Update... Still ugly

BadgerBoater55

22 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

Imagine this boat and some young kids if it was priced more appropriately on a warm spring or summer day on a bayou or river, think back to that 16 ft metal flat and 70hp Johnson with actual steering wheel cockpit(instead of the hand steered tiller version you also combo skiid behind) that you learned to slalom behind and now transport that summer experience to this boat and the same warm water river or bayou and some 20 something's in a boat, any of you guys have an imagination !!  I remember the Lilly pads falls till this day and the kill each other kneeboard wars, we were actually landing on each other to take each other out. I always took the long rope to dupe them into it !

i guess you guys didn't learn two skis with the Coast Guard orange life preserver around your neck, y'all don't know how cool uncool really was

coolest was laying over the front of the flat boat with half your body over the edge to get the big guy or beginners up slalom looking down at the glass and hull splashes and then resetting to the metal bench seat to pull em.

Yeah, but you can still buy those old metal flats with the outboards and have a blast.  Heck, we had 2 boats down during show ski team practice and put our little Boston Whaler to the test with the 40hp outboard, pulling some doubles and trick stuff, and laughed our butts off.

But you don't spend $40k or $50k just to be a knucklehead, that is more like $1,500.  Why spend that kind of money on a Heyday when you can get an '04 23LSV for less, and put 4 more friends in the boat?  It doesn't make sense.  They will be out of business quickly.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

But you don't spend $40k or $50k just to be a knucklehead, that is more like $1,500.  Why spend that kind of money on a Heyday when you can get an '04 23LSV for less, and put 4 more friends in the boat?  It doesn't make sense.  They will be out of business quickly.

There is a simple answer to this, different people are different.  Some want a new boat, period.  It's the same reason people buy new Malibu instead of used.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, 05hammerhead said:

Looks ugly on a trailer, but I wanna see what it looks like in the water.  Not to mention I wanna see the wave. 

Saw those vids and to me it was impressive, similar to my A20 in that you compare a vid of a good rider or surfer behind mine vs a better BU or Axis and it will do its job for its size, think I saw more wakeboard than surf though

57 minutes ago, MadMan said:

There is a simple answer to this, different people are different.  Some want a new boat, period.  It's the same reason people buy new Malibu instead of used.

Imagine a new  to money vs how he was raised boomer or gen x and they still value the assets they worked so hard to accumulate  and don't want to trust that teenagers with the LSV but right waterway early am and you want to spoil him anyway with a new boat.  

Why do this???

ill tell you why, remember that 1/2 tank you planned on using next weekend, me and my very bad teen buddies would have already used it up on an afternoon ride with friends literally stealing your boat and I would have had so much fun it wouldn't have mattered if you kicked my a**, I'd do it again, and again(especially the nice little 20 something's and 30 something's of today who are your children raised with lots of money, me raised that way and this family fued would have been ON, you would be proud in back of your mind cause we as teenagers learned ways to do this and not get caught or earn the privilege and pay for the gas and these kids weren't raised that way 

so give them a new boat and tell them stay off mine! And good excuse to make them pass the coast guard test and gain their certificate to operate even without a drivers license, some states like Mississippi now require it did all non licensed for car boat drivers of a certain age or less . Test online very hard.

i was a very bad kid who hid it with good grades, you guys would be sitting ducks 

Edited by granddaddy55
12 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

Imagine a new  to money vs how he was raised boomer or gen x and they still value the assets they worked so hard to accumulate  and don't want to trust that teenagers with the LSV but right waterway early am and you want to spoil him anyway with a new boat.  

Why do this???

ill tell you why, remember that 1/2 tank you planned on using next weekend, me and my very bad teen buddies would have already used it up on an afternoon ride with friends literally stealing your boat and I would have had so much fun it wouldn't have mattered if you kicked my a**, I'd do it again, and again(especially the nice little 20 something's and 30 something's of today who are your children raised with lots of money, me raised that way and this family fued would have been ON, you would be proud in back of your mind cause we as teenagers learned ways to do this and not get caught or earn the privilege and pay for the gas and these kids weren't raised that way 

so give them a new boat and tell them stay off mine! And good excuse to make them pass the coast guard test and gain their certificate to operate even without a drivers license, some states like Mississippi now require it did all non licensed for car boat drivers of a certain age or less . Test online very hard.

i was a very bad kid who hid it with good grades, you guys would be sitting ducks 

Still makes no sense to me.  Give the kids an older VLX then, that they can do whatever they want with.  I still think people will look at a gorgeous used inventory before dropping that kind of cash on a clunky new one.

But - time will tell, maybe you are right.

6 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Still makes no sense to me.  Give the kids an older VLX then, that they can do whatever they want with.  I still think people will look at a gorgeous used inventory before dropping that kind of cash on a clunky new one.

But - time will tell, maybe you are right.

And don't people buy those 15+ thousand boat PWC style sea doo and you can only water ski and skate and maybe some riding, this will actually do all and had the motor to do it.  They made a mistake as the prices of the bottom went up

, they thought they could too? that was the real mistake, delivered NEW with trailer and tower for 35, that was the ticket, haven't heard any quality arguments yet, just ugly and as we all know, eye of beholder. I had to scratch that new itch after 31 years of used ownership, wouldn't do it again unless my financials changed from underemployed to full and even then I would drive to AZ and buy a certain MXZ for sale with all ballasts fixes included.  The ridiculous low price I paid for mine ordered new, I may never get rid of it.  

Cheap used 2013 wskesetters w/SG weren't too readily available in the fall of 2013 as it was the 1st year and folks weren't dumping them to pay more and just get s 2second SG ram performance increase so I needed cheap new  Axis!

It's hard for us to get in the head of the other types of consumers out there because we are all generally registered on this forum for the same reason.  We all like to be informed and completely understand all aspects of our hobby.   

But, there are people out there who put less thought into a boat purchase than I do when I'm picking out a new toilet plunger.  Even more surprising is, that it's not just rich people who shop completely uninformed.  If there is a capable sales person at the boat show with one of these, some uniformed consumers are going to think that if you want to do wake sports you need one of these new weird looking wake tractors.  These are the same type of people who when they need a fishing boat they would pass on a killer deal on a boat because it does not have a fish finder and over pay for a boat that does never even thinking about  the fact they could just buy one and add it or they pass on a killer deal on a house because they don't like the paint color in the kitchen.

I still don't get this boat.  The design does not even seem to match with the consumers needs that it was specifically designed to meet.  I want to see the hull in person because it's shape seems counter intuitive to a good surf wave from the pics I've seen.  

On 11/15/2016 at 8:12 AM, Michigan boarder said:

Yeah, but you can still buy those old metal flats with the outboards and have a blast.  Heck, we had 2 boats down during show ski team practice and put our little Boston Whaler to the test with the 40hp outboard, pulling some doubles and trick stuff, and laughed our butts off.

Didn't they already sell out to Chaparral or some big IO manfacturer and retained Ben Dorton and his dad in some cushy mgmt positions?  I'm thinking they've already cashed out handsomely.  

Which pi$$es me off because I came up with the center console wakeboat idea years ago and it was brutally shot down by @jcon44  (sorta had to be there but it's a great story to be told over some beers some day)

but but but, why not just make it look better. Its not like they would have to increase the costs of mfg. Just make it look attractive. I will give it one thing, its unique, but it doesn't have to look like this. People buy boats on looks as much as they do on anything else. In fact, i could get a killer deal on a purple boat, but i would rather pay 10k more and get the colors i like. 

4 minutes ago, Ndawg12 said:

Didn't they already sell out to Chaparral or some big IO manfacturer and retained Ben Dorton and his dad in some cushy mgmt positions?  I'm thinking they've already cashed out handsomely.  

Which pi$$es me off because I came up with the center console wakeboat idea years ago and it was brutally shot down by @jcon44  (sorta had to be there but it's a great story to be told over some beers some day)

They sold to Bayliner.  Yet inexplicably they have not branded it as a bayliner and their site just redirects to the HeyDay site

http://bayliner.com/models/wake-sports-series/

Edited by oldjeep

A local dealer sells those boats but I have yet to see one on the water. I see the other brands he sells just not one of those. 40k buys you allot of used vdrive boat that you can sell some day unlike that thing. 

1 hour ago, IXFE said:

What's wrong with purple?

15DA4588-C3F8-45E0-9B91-A3B7B40B36B6_zps

nothing wrong with that.. Looks great, but a local dealer had an all purple Axis (almost all purple) and just couldn't see myself in it. I need lots of BLACK if there is purple. And actually now looking at it, the Axis was a little lighter almost lavender. There is a reason why he is dealing on that boat. 

Edited by semi

Heyday and Pavati are similar in that nobody has ever seen them in the wild.

but Pavati sure as ship has a better marketing platform 

pavatiwake's photo

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 3