Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thoughts on new bilge pump design using Diaphragm pump?

daylorb

Thinking about a winter project - I just can't stand all the water in the bilge.  No matter what I do, the boat always has some water in it that the pump can't seem to get.  So here are my thoughts...

1) I'm going to get a diaphragm-style pump in addition to the impeller pump already in the boat.  Something like this here: https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-03526-144A-Triplex-Diaphragm-Automatic/dp/B002P33KVQ#Ask.  I think I can mount it just about anywhere and run hose that terminates and mounted roughly under the V-drive where the water seems to pool.

2) Will add this strainer in-line: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AZ7N4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

3) Will use 1/2 hose with a step-down to 1/4" running down the middle of the V of the hull so that it is at the lowest point

4) Debating how to wire it - this pump draws 10 amp max, was thinking about connecting it to the existing bilge switch so that the manual bilge switch would turn on both existing and new. 

Thoughts?  May need to put a larger amp fuse in there?  Will this get me closer to bone-dry?  Thanks!

Not sure if it's 10 amps and the bilges amp might be too much for a breaker. Thoughts?. But I like the pump. I'm thinking have it on it's own breaker, or add it too the "accessory" switch.

Wondering if plugging the open end of tube, then drilling a couple small holes in the hose where it lay's flat against the hull might get good suction to the very last drop. Just turning it on manually as necessary. I think a float switch may not go low enough, or be accurate enough for your application.

Steve B. 

19 hours ago, Steve B. said:

Not sure if it's 10 amps and the bilges amp might be too much for a breaker. Thoughts?. But I like the pump. I'm thinking have it on it's own breaker, or add it too the "accessory" switch.

Wondering if plugging the open end of tube, then drilling a couple small holes in the hose where it lay's flat against the hull might get good suction to the very last drop. Just turning it on manually as necessary. I think a float switch may not go low enough, or be accurate enough for your application.

Steve B. 

That is exactly what I was thinking in terms of drilling a few small holes.  I'll probably play around with it/test in a few times with a few configurations.  Hose is cheap and I can test it right at home.  My worry on the small holes would be that only certain holes would actually get the suction - and those would be upstream...  

I like the idea of adding to the accessory switch - assume you are talking about using the MUX, then configuring mailview with another button?  I read this here - seems easy enough?  Could easily wire an in-line fuse if need be.

17 hours ago, formulaben said:

I looked at that - the reviews on those aren't that great, seem like a lot of failures.  They only drain down to 3/8" which is actually a quite a bit of water - with that much in the boat it is wet all the way up to the mid-hatch.  The other issue is placement.  The low water point on my boat when sitting in my lift is directly in the V, just behind the gas tank.  This pump would not fit there, so I couldn't get low enough, but I could easily terminate a hose there, and the suction on the diaphragm pump is up to 9', so I could place the pump just about anywhere...