Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2104 LSV leak from water cooled shaft seal

Ok Crew tried searching the site for this but couldn't seem to find the right answers. So if anyone knows please lead me in the correct direction. 

Overview of problem.

2014 LSV LS3 250 hours took it out Sunday Nov. 6th water 58 degrees. Had to get one more surf run in. Water was spraying from prop shaft under power. It didn't seem to drip or anything when sitting still. As soon as you put it in gear it would start spraying off of the shaft. It seems to be enough to make the Bilidge pump come on every so often.

My questions are:

Did the cold water contribute to it leaking?

Did I maybe hit something (as I have hashed a few props since buying new) that has finally made the seal fail?

Is this just a simple hose clamp loose on the water cooled shaft seal or have to pull shaft and replace o rings in the front Rotor?

Has the rotor cap set screws loosened and sled forward?

Is this a big job with special tools or can a weekend warrior handle it?

Has anyone repaired this and can you give me maybe step by step?

Does anyone know the brand of the water cooled shaft seal on this year?

Thank You Crew in Advance.

Edited by kaddman
  • 2 weeks later...

Providing it is the OJ version (white housing with blue rubber cap on the VD shaft side of the housing) it could be a couple of things. First it's doubtful that the internal seal is bad in a '14. The claim I have seen is the seal is good for over 600+ hours run dry what ever that means. On an OJ "like my '10" you have the raw water supply line running from the block to the side of the dripless shaft housing, 1/4 clamp on the hose clamp on the housing end and I don't recall how mine is attached to the block. You also have 4 hose clamps around the rubber boot on the rear of the shaft seal housing. One pair is clamped onto the hull where the boot slides over the hull protrusion and one pair where the boot fits over the actual housing. The only other point of leaking could be the actual shaft seal that is or at least should be press fit into the shaft seal housing and is secured with a snap ring which in theory should keep it from leaking around the outer surface of the shaft seal. I found that when I replaced my shaft seal the outside diameter of the new shaft seal was smaller than the OD of the original seal which was leaking worse than the OEM seal. I pulled it and applied some 3M marine sealant and reinstalled it with no problems now.

I have seen the tension sleeve versions that create a seal by means of pressure between a fixed collar on the prop shaft that rotates with the prop shaft and a fixed mating surface that is attached to the hull with a rubber boot like on my '10. I very seriously doubt you will see that version. You could have the older shaft seal version that is designed to leak, but that would be some sorry Schmitt on a 2014 IMO! 

5/16 and 1/4 nut drivers, wrenches or sockets will tighten everything up. Feel around on the shaft seal and trace the water supply line and you should be able to discount or find any issues. If you pull the hose clamps off of the housing and when you move the housing around on the shaft and the shaft seal moves or rotates in the housing that might be your problem as well. Good luck, Bill.

Edited by wdr
  • 5 months later...
On 11/18/2016 at 1:37 PM, racer808 said:

Didn't read the long reply, typically it just needs to be adjusted.  I'll have to find the how to video but it isn't hard. 

Well finally getting boat out and want to get this figured out. Kind of think this could be my problem... how do I align or check alignment?  Brass end is about 1/2" from factory mark.. not seeing any accordion still humps on the rubber boot. 

On 11/17/2016 at 6:56 AM, 23LSVOwner said:

How long has it been since you did an engine alignment?

It is is off pretty good it can wear the seal and cause a leak.

Always good to check the alignment but I doubt that is it. Unless you hit something recently. Have a friend drive the boat and get down there with your phone and shoot a video. This should tell you a lot. My best guesstimate is that the boot is torn, a hose clamp problem, or the seals are bad. Maybe under warranty?!?!

Edited by skurfer
  • 1 year later...