Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterization - water cooled shaft and relation to exhaust manifolds

My 2015 VTX with 350 Monsoon has the dripless shaft cooling.  It appears that the 2 hoses that come off the exhaust manifolds come together in a "T" and it feeds a smaller tube to the drive shaft.  

Does this mean that my exhaust manifolds are basically self-draining with the boat out of the water?  When I went to winterize for the first time, these hoses were empty.  I just want to make sure that the manifolds are truly empty.

the manifold drain lines are the ones that look like a garden hose and connect together above the v-drive. You get to them by removing the center seat and tray. I always get a ton of water out of them.

Edited by oldjeep

Yes the newer boats  ones self drain the manifolds through the dripless shaft hose.  Older ones have the garden hose connector to unscrew to drain. 

• Like 1

@Badger:  A test to verify would be to (with a drain pan under the shaft) pour a known quantity of RV antifreeze in each of the exhaust manifolds and see if same amount ends up in drain pan.  In theory it should. 

The more interesting question is on manifold cooling after one finishes a hard run.  If all the water drains out of the manifolds, then when warm or even hot to touch there is no water inside to dampen the cool off event.  Must not be an issue but I always like having water as a heat absorber in the block and manifolds when they are cooling off.