Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding Heat to 95 Response

powbmps

Budget build.  Took 2 to 3 hours to do.

Jegs heater (advertised as a hot-rod heater, but unit is actually labeled marine heater): $150.

HEATER1.jpg

Hose and outlet kit, and two plumbing items (thanks to tallredrider for hooking me up): $25-$50.

HEATER2.jpg

5/8" hose and clamps: $40.  Least expensive way to buy the hose was to get a 50' roll.  I used less than 20' so if anyone needs some I can send it along.

HEATER3.jpg

Plumbed the lines into the manifold and water pump.  I had to pull the water hoses from the right side of the motor to get a wrench on the fitting in the manifold.

HEATER5.jpg

20161106_141325%201.jpg

Decided to mount the heater in front of the driver's side foot well.  Took about 5 minutes to pull the seat out to make some more room.  Ran the hoses along side the steering cable/throttle cables and battery cables.

HEATER6.jpg  

Finished install from behind.  Raised the unit a couple inches off the floor to make sure it stays dry.  Can be a bit painful accessing the bow area, but there is a surprising amount of room once you are in there ;). 

HEATER7.jpg

I don't use the lighter outlet, so I rigged the switch up in its location.  Used the power wire from the outlet, so no additional wiring was needed and it is tied into a 10 amp breaker.  Easy enough to move if I think of a better location.

HEATER9.jpg

Finished product.  Not bad for a total of $215.  The only wasted money was for the surplus water hose.  It cranks some serious air.  Headed out on the water in a couple days, and will report back with how it works.  Hopefully it actually generates some heat.

HEATER8.jpg

Fun little project.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, riggowrestler said:

Awesome write up and your install looks really nice.  Do you have a link to the heater?

Thanks Riggo. This is the heater:  http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/70601/10002/-1

Here is a louver vent kit:  http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/70606/10002/-1

Let me know if you do something similar.  I've got plenty of water hose left over (and clamps).  

If you want to avoid pieces it together, here is what looks to be a pretty nice kit for $300 (comes with a heat tube though):  https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Heater-200-System-Outlet/dp/B00EXALXH2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1478524079&sr=8-6&keywords=marine+heater

Well it works.  It actually cranks out the heat once the motor is up to temp.  Went out today with 48 water and 60 air temps.  Warmed me right up in the driver's seat.    

Just now, powbmps said:

Well it works.  It actually cranks out the heat once the motor is up to temp.  Went out today with 48 water and 60 air temps.  Warmed me right up in the driver's seat.    

Ugh.  So that means I DEFINITELY should do it.  And those are great install pics, makes it impossible not to do it.  Nice job!

• 9 months later...
On 8/14/2017 at 0:23 PM, andrewml said:

Looking to do the same thing to my new (to me) boat.  For some reason I can't see the pictures in the forum. 

They were linked from a Photobucket account that no longer exists.  PM me your email, and I can send them along.  I sold that boat, but will be doing the same install on my new(er) one.

• 1 year later...

Dug up this old thread.... Any reason that Jeg's 3 blower unit wouldn't be a great swap for the heatercraft?  Mine is already plumbed/wired but previous owner didn't winterize and the core is shot.  And its the old style core so I have to replace the unit.

Jegs 3 tube $185 - HC - $354

8 hours ago, INCOPPNITO said:

Dug up this old thread.... Any reason that Jeg's 3 blower unit wouldn't be a great swap for the heatercraft?  Mine is already plumbed/wired but previous owner didn't winterize and the core is shot.  And its the old style core so I have to replace the unit.

Jegs 3 tube $185 - HC - $354

That's what the OP installed, a Jegs.  Go for it!

This is a really good mod! I did it a couple years ago.

I had to install a separate pump for it to kick out good heat when at idle or just sitting while watching fireworks on July 4.