Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What Winter Bu Projects Are You Planning?

minnmarker

Replace my current rear locker 750's with 910's from Wakemakers - already on order from the Black Friday sale.

Have the 2 rear corner seats reupolstered, seams are starting to show signs of splitting - working out the details on if I get Gabriel to do them or somewhere else.

Possibly install GoSurfAssist or have one installed.

Locate a grade 8 bolt for the swing in trailer tongue - searched Lowe's and local hardware store to no avail, now to try the bolt store across town.

The rest of time I will pretend to do something at work while dreaming about summer!

1 hour ago, jwl019 said:

Locate a grade 8 bolt for the swing in trailer tongue - searched Lowe's and local hardware store to no avail, now to try the bolt store across town.

Try Fastenal, they've got almost every bolt there is.  I'm lucky to have a Fastenal store just 10 min away.

22 minutes ago, Fffrank said:

Exactly like that -- do I have a flat spot on the tower to mount it?  I'll need to look when I have a chance.

You should - and if you're luck it is pre-wired.  If not there's a trick you can do with fishing line, a cotton ball, and a blower or vacuum.

17 hours ago, jwl019 said:

Replace my current rear locker 750's with 910's from Wakemakers - already on order from the Black Friday sale.

Have the 2 rear corner seats reupolstered, seams are starting to show signs of splitting - working out the details on if I get Gabriel to do them or somewhere else.

Possibly install GoSurfAssist or have one installed.

The rest of time I will pretend to do something at work while dreaming about summer!

I have taken all three of the rear seats on mine to a lady that has a small upholstery shop in my area for split seems.  She takes the skins off, stretches it and sews it back...........$30 a seat.

If it only last 2 or 3 seasons no big deal, have her do it again if possible. 

My over the winter/early spring list for my new to me old '98 Response LX.

Cosmetically repairing a scratch that was sealed, but not cleaned up aesthetically, by the prior owner.  

Doing some little repair on a couple upholstery nicks.  

re-doing the front nav light.  It at least needs a new bulb, and possibly a new bulb holder.  

cleaning up and restoring the teak deck.  Will follow directions in a thread here.

replacing sagging and soft wood in the trailer steps.  Bunks are ok. 

making sure the trailer brakes are in good repair.

Cleaning from the boat bottom some water staining, then polishing and waxing/polysealing the boat.

Organizing the storage in the under dash area so it is easier to deal with the anchor, extra lines, fire extinguisher, life vests, etc., and it is not just in a pile in there.

see about keeping the bench in the open bow a bit more secure and in place.  It tends to slide back into the storage. 

restore and tighten up netting in the side storage.  Just one side is loose and needs to be re-connected.  

get the replacement prop figured out.  Will need to be on the water for that.  Thinking I will try a couple props from ACME.  I am choosing between the 515 and 525.  I would like to test them at my altitude.  There is a separate thread on that somewhere.  

Consider finding a replacement "glove box" lid as the vinyl on mine is bubbled just a bit.  

Any thoughts or hints for keeping things simple on any of the above is appreciated.  :D

EDIT: also, consider a bimini top.  We are at a high altitude with very high UV, and it does not hurt to stay protected as much as I can.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw
23 minutes ago, sunvalleylaw said:

My over the winter/early spring list for my new to me old '98 Response LX.

Cosmetically repairing a scratch that was sealed, but not cleaned up aesthetically, by the prior owner.  

Cleaning from the boat bottom some water staining, then polishing and waxing/polysealing the boat.

Any thoughts or hints for keeping things simple on any of the above is appreciated.  :D

I think I remember you store your boat outside?  Suggest you do the above when it's warm out - like May in Sun Valley...  Really I'm just jealous that you're skiing!  For many years I spent the week after New Years on Mt. Baldy doing 3000 foot laps on the Warm Springs lift.  Not the best mountain in the world but it is the best ski town in the world, IMHO.

For the cosmetic patch: http://forum.spectrumcolor.com/Items.aspx?key=cat&code=K&manu=MALIBU&incl_m=T

For the cleaning get some muriatic acid.  Works great!  Just try not to get it on the trailer and rinse with lots of water.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

I think I remember you store your boat outside?  Suggest you do the above when it's warm out - like May in Sun Valley...  Really I'm just jealous that you're skiing!  For many years I spent the week after New Years on Mt. Baldy doing 3000 foot laps on the Warm Springs lift.  Not the best mountain in the world but it is the best ski town in the world, IMHO.

For the cosmetic patch: http://forum.spectrumcolor.com/Items.aspx?key=cat&code=K&manu=MALIBU&incl_m=T

For the cleaning get some muriatic acid.  Works great!  Just try not to get it on the trailer and rinse with lots of water.

Yep.  It will need to be late April/May.  Will be snow skiing until then anyway.  :D  Baldy is a great mountain, and even better if there is enough snow to open up the southsides of things, and get into some of the lesser known terrain.  Not a place with big hucks all over or huge chutes, but it doesn't have the big flat spots in between those places too.  And if you like bumps, it may be the best there is.  IMO. ;)  Groomers too, but to me, groomers are (mostly, I enjoy some slalom/GS training sometimes) for commuting to the good stuff in the bowls, upper riv, Plaza, etc.  You will find me more often on plaza then you will Warm Springs on that side of the hill. ;) 

Edited by sunvalleylaw
  • 1 month later...

Get three cushions fixed

install FAE 

pumb in three or four reversibles

build new sub box

redo tower audio 

maybe wetsounds 4 zone led controller 

and if I can talk the wife in to it, led rub rail

get dinged prop fixed

and if I get around to it a carbon fiber swim platform.

Edited by shadetreefab
14 hours ago, Malibuzer said:

Say what!  

I get board and do weird stuff, just finished purple carbon gauge plate for my car, working on door panels now, hope to have them done this weekend, got to finish the car before I can play with the boat.

• 3 weeks later...

@shadetreefab:  +1 on the carbon fiber swim platform.  I made one for my boat and really like it, reduced a 30# platform to 10# and made it much stiffer, in fact extremely stiff and robust.  My objective was weight savings as I focus on the slalom and barefoot wake so I am pretty sure very different objectives but it is a great project.  I get my cloth and resin from US Composites, they seem to offer excellent prices.  That was one of several carbon fiber parts / panels I made for my boat, my buddy actually nicknamed my boat the 'carbon craft'.

• Like 2

@Woodski I've been going with composite envisions, I really like there resin system and they have some of the harder to find colors. Going to play with some shapes this summer, want it to not dig in to the wake with out raising it.

Edited by shadetreefab
On 1/19/2017 at 8:58 AM, shadetreefab said:

I get board and do weird stuff, just finished purple carbon gauge plate for my car, working on door panels now, hope to have them done this weekend, got to finish the car before I can play with the boat.

You know what they say..... Pics, or it didn't happen.  :salute:

Had the split seams in both corner seats repaired. Then stuck Hydroturf on the bottom of both. I'll flip the seats over when people are getting in & out.

IMG_20160930_124127469_HDR_zpsl7chahlx.j

On 11/4/2016 at 10:19 AM, minnmarker said:

I'm going to clean the carpet too.  Fun...

Maybe put bigger gates on the surf gate system. Not sure if that's going to make a difference but it shouldn't be too involved since I can leave all the hinges and rams where they are.

Big project is on the pontoon.  We have a hard top canopy that, when up, makes covering the pontoon impossible - so we deal with dirty wet seats and carpet all the time.  Project is to add hydraulic rams to raise and lower the canopy so we can lower it and put a cover on the boat.  Not surprisingly, there are no standard systems for this so I'm adapting a system made for RV slide out rooms.  I've never done hydraulics before so this should be a learning experience!

Since I started this here's my update:

Carpet is still in need of cleaning.  Decided to wait until I can have water and sun to dry.  Besides, that's a boring job...

Bigger surf gates are on.  Just used the old ones as templates and made them 4" longer and 1" taller.  Saved old ones in case the new ones don't work better.

Pontoon project on hold until it gets warmer but I do have all the hydraulics/electrics and fittings ready to go.  Hydraulic system has been bench tested and works!  When I can take the pontoon out of the pole barn I'll install the rams, pump, lines, and fittings - and hope my calculations on the geometry were accurate.  Still need to get a custom cover made.  Anyone have suggestions on pontoon cover sources?

Dropped prop off

ordered fae 

got new tower cans

got three more pairs of km8s on the way

new blue sea switch coming

dropping off my cushions as soon as my guy is done with my boss's truck

@Bill_AirJunky I'll grab some pis this weekend when the monsoon passes 

• Like 2

Well, the interior job is finally becoming a reality and I am beginning to check the to-do's off for the spring. The colors and everything have been decided and the boat will be getting done within the next week. A few people were curious on price when I first posted about the topic earlier in this discussion and so here we go. For the vinyl full replacement its $3875. SeaDek is $1500. New cover is $900. Looking forward to how its going to turn out and will upload more photos when I go and see the boat.

The interior scheme is staying the same just with a little bit different colors. We are changing a few areas but don't have any pictures of them.

unnamed_zpsfnvf43cl.jpgimage1_zpsnw8tpk5e.jpg

unnamed-2_zpsyaobil1n.jpg

• Like 2
5 hours ago, blytle473 said:

Well, the interior job is finally becoming a reality and I am beginning to check the to-do's off for the spring. The colors and everything have been decided and the boat will be getting done within the next week. A few people were curious on price when I first posted about the topic earlier in this discussion and so here we go. For the vinyl full replacement its $3875. SeaDek is $1500. New cover is $900. Looking forward to how its going to turn out and will upload more photos when I go and see the boat.

The interior scheme is staying the same just with a little bit different colors. We are changing a few areas but don't have any pictures of them.

unnamed_zpsfnvf43cl.jpgimage1_zpsnw8tpk5e.jpg

unnamed-2_zpsyaobil1n.jpg

Looks real nice! Is that the seadeck the swatches are on? I like the look and feel of Seadeck. New to boat ownership as of two weeks from now and learning of all the mods one can do to their BU. My boat has full carpeting. Having looked at your pics, can I assume that once my carpet has served its useful life that I can replace it with Seadeck? Thanks and good luck on the project!

1 hour ago, LarsJensen said:

Looks real nice! Is that the seadeck the swatches are on? I like the look and feel of Seadeck. New to boat ownership as of two weeks from now and learning of all the mods one can do to their BU. My boat has full carpeting. Having looked at your pics, can I assume that once my carpet has served its useful life that I can replace it with Seadeck? Thanks and good luck on the project!

Yes the swatches are ontop of the Seadek. You can absolutely replace your worn out carpet with SeaDek. You could either measure it yourself and create your own template to send out to SeaDek for manufacturing or you could have someone else do everything it like I'm doing. After being in boats that have the SeaDek and then going back to my carpet boat really made me switch. You'll find if you do a lot of watersports that the water that you bring into the boat by just getting in and out of it gets saturated in the carpet and takes a long time to dry. Congrats on your recent BU purchase!