Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What Winter Bu Projects Are You Planning?

minnmarker

Even though we're hitting 60 degrees in Minnesota today the boat is put to bed (in a heated shop :)) and the skis (and wrenches) are ready to come out.

What are your Winter plans for the boat? 

New mods/upgrades?  Repairs?  Let it sit?  Buy it?  Sell it?

Maybe clean/winterize/oil change it after tomorrow (supposed to be 65 so we're headed out for a last blast on Minnetonka). 

Other than that I may swap injector 1&3 so that if my phantom cylinder 3 misfire pops up again next season I can eliminate the injector as the culprit.

Just now, minnmarker said:

I'm going to clean the carpet too.  Fun...

Maybe put bigger gates on the surf gate system. Not sure if that's going to make a difference but it shouldn't be too involved since I can leave all the hinges and rams where they are.

Big project is on the pontoon.  We have a hard top canopy that, when up, makes covering the pontoon impossible - so we deal with dirty wet seats and carpet all the time.  Project is to add hydraulic rams to raise and lower the canopy so we can lower it and put a cover on the boat.  Not surprisingly, there are no standard systems for this so I'm adapting a system made for RV slide out rooms.  I've never done hydraulics before so this should be a learning experience!

Wouldn't it be easier to ditch the hard top and get a bimini?

1 minute ago, Michigan boarder said:

Wouldn't it be easier to ditch the hard top and get a bimini?

Well, yes, and no.  The hard top is huge and covers over half the 29' pontoon (for us with Scandinavian and Irish skin).  It's aluminum so it'll last forever.  To get a bimini of the same size would require 3 base points on each side and multiple pieces of material - so 2 or 3 biminis lined up.  Basically, you could not fold the whole thing down in one piece.  Also, the hard top in the down position covers most of the boat and will support the cover - so no poles necessary.

Plus I've bought all the parts already :lol:

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Well, yes, and no.  The hard top is huge and covers over half the 29' pontoon (for us with Scandinavian and Irish skin).  It's aluminum so it'll last forever.  To get a bimini of the same size would require 3 base points on each side and multiple pieces of material - so 2 or 3 biminis lined up.  Basically, you could not fold the whole thing down in one piece.  Also, the hard top in the down position covers most of the boat and will support the cover - so no poles necessary.

Plus I've bought all the parts already :lol:

Ah, that makes sense.

I too am from a foggy island in the north atlantic, with a slowly greying red beard!

Give her a good deep clean, polish & wax, clean carpet and vinyl and treat with 303

Install new Domed registration numbers

Order new Domed Malibu logos and install

Finish mods and install Titan III tower and new tower mirror

Change spark plugs & fuel filter

Wire for for dual batteries and install ACR

Mount spare tire on trailer

And probably a dozen other things I'm forgetting or haven't thought of yet. 

• Like 3

New Upholstery

New Floor (Deckadence)

Install a ballast system (boat doesnt have MLS)

Take the graphics off (possibly install new domed malibu logos)

New Cover

New Bimini

New domed registration numbers

Maybe underwater lights

Probably a bunch more things that I can't remember. I'm sure there are a few more things. 

6 minutes ago, blytle473 said:

New Upholstery

New Floor (Deckadence)

Install a ballast system (boat doesnt have MLS)

Take the graphics off (possibly install new domed malibu logos)

New Cover

New Bimini

New domed registration numbers

Maybe underwater lights

Probably a bunch more things that I can't remember. I'm sure there are a few more things. 

Who is doing your upholstery?

Just now, Michigan boarder said:

Who is doing your upholstery?

"Four Seasons Custom Sewing" in Howell MI

http://fourseasonscustomsewing.com/

We met them at the Detroit Boat show this past winter and they seem like great people. We don't have a quote because they want to see the boat. Its getting winterized next week and maybe to the upholsterer the week after. 

• Like 1

My list sucks...

Trailer tires all 4

Replace engine cover vinyl

New paddle wheel for perfect pass

Add second battery with ACR

Drive shaft packing

Fun stuff...

Led cupholder  rings and speaker rings

Hopefully install REV 10's since I took my crap tower enclosure off and tore it apart. 

• Like 2

Wash, polish, wax

Remove and tint windshield and replace front speakers while its out

Repair engine cover and rear seat vinyl

Install new radio I bought 3 months ago

Install sub and amp

Figure out why depth finder isn't working and repair or replace

Stare at it and dream of spring

New Charging and Battery System (Blue Sea Add-A-Battery ACR + NOCO Charger + Wiring + Big Alternator + Batteries)

New Stereo + Amps + Subs + Tower Speakers + + + +

Window Tint

Tower Lighting

LEDs Throughout

Stainless Cupholders

Probably some more....  we'll see how far the dollars go.....

Forgot to ad replacing the interior lights with LEDs

Thinking about something like this in red to match the gel coat: https://luxlightingsystems.com/collections/microcolor-led-lighting-for-marine/products/microcolor-led-marine-accent-lighting-4-piece-set?variant=27798636870

Anyone have any experience with them or anything similar?

Edited by Kmfish87
8 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

Hmmm... Planning on putting it in the water and riding :yahoo:

You guys with 12 months of liquid water never get to play on the frozen water :rockon:

• Like 3

This should be a fun thread to follow over the winter... I'm hoping to/planning to:

• replace the factory sub box with something much better (just have to watch out for the heater & tubes)
  • figure out how to mount 2x Wetsounds Stealth 10 Core speakers on the transom and make it look "clean"
  • clean, clean, clean
  • fix the chip where my 5 year old son hit the back of the boat with a fishing weight when the reel didn't release the line
  • put better/deeper engine divider channels in since the dividers pop of of the existing track when the PnP ballast is filled (yes, there is already a wakemakers divider reinforcement kit installed)
  • figure out how to gimbal mount a GoPro camera on the transom for awesome wakesurfing video (maybe attach to the stealth speakers)
  • figure out a better way to mount an iPad mini on the dash/windshield
  • 100 hour service (since I'm at ~97 now)
  • more I haven't thought of
3 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

You guys with 12 months of liquid water never get to play on the frozen water :rockon:

LOL... yes I do... I just don't have to live in it :rofl:

• Like 2