Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thru-hull Drain Plug Leaking

My midship thru-hull plug is leaking, not alot, a very slow trickle, but enough to annoy me.  The T-handle plug will not even come close to threading in enough to seat and utilize the o-ring.  I don't think it ever did thread in all the way but I know it hasn't always leaked.  I suspect that the different pressures of my lift bunks (new this this past season) have slightly warped it some how.  Anyways, I haven't tried thread tape on the plug threads but I doubt it will work, can I run a 3/4 tap through it?  I think it's tapered, is the plug tapered, the port, or both?  Any other ideas?

You could run a tap through it but make sure that the tap is a 3/4 npt tap and that you dont go too far as the tap and threads are tapered. If you go to far in you will never get the plug to seal.
 I would try the wire brush method first. Im sure you could find a small, round brush in the plumbing section of a hardware store that would work well for getting into the threads of the hull bung [read in Bevis and Butthead voice]

• Like 2
3 hours ago, minnmarker said:

Been through the same issue.  Clean the threads (male and female) with a wire brush and then put some anti seize on the threads.

all threads are clean, nothing is gulled or burred, not sure how the anti-seize helps to stop the leak?  It feels like the female port is ever so slightly out-of-round.  

1 hour ago, Kmfish87 said:

You could run a tap through it but make sure that the tap is a 3/4 npt tap and that you dont go too far as the tap and threads are tapered. If you go to far in you will never get the plug to seal.
 I would try the wire brush method first. Im sure you could find a small, round brush in the plumbing section of a hardware store that would work well for getting into the threads of the hull bung [read in Bevis and Butthead voice]

Yeah, remember these T-handle plugs have an o-ring.  Double protection.  On the other one by the engine I can thread the plug in ~ 3/4 of the way and it won't leak, torque it down to compress the o-ring on the lip, double protection.  I'm thinking if I could atleast get it to thread all the way down then the o-ring would stop the leak.

19 hours ago, coldwater-echelon said:

Not totally sure but I think the plugs with the oring are straight threads, not npt. Might want to check with bakes or another dealer. 

:plus1:  Cleaning and lubing the threads should help.  I use silicone grease on the O rings - and on the ballast quick connects - and on most every other piece of rubber that seals against water leakage.

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-92003-Lubricating-Translucent/dp/B0081JE0OO

I don't see a picture, but if it's anything like what's on the bottom of my boat it's easily replaceable with a new thru-hull and t-handle. I had to rotate one of my thru-hulls 90* so I could use it for a ballast system input and still get the 1/4 turn valve on the top to work; I unscrewed the 4 scres going in to the hull while the boat was on the trailer and pushed the assembly out from the top with the t-handle.

You can get a new thru-hull and t-handle from a marine supply shop, and then use 3M 5200 in white or black (depending on your hull color) to seal the thru-hull to the boat again. I would suggest keeping the boat on the trailer for at least a week to get the 5200 to fully cure.