Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Muffler winterization

electricjohn

I took a peek into my exhaust openings this past summer when I pulled the boat for a refuel.  My exhaust sounded louder and I was looking for broken baffles.  What I did notice was about a half inch of water lying in the bottom of the muffler and transom hose.  After towing the boat home at season end,  300 miles with hills, the water was still there.  I used a wet vac to remove the water and easily got more than a quart (ltr) out of each side. I never addressed this issue the previous 14 winters without problems but I figured I'd throw this out there for you.

3 minutes ago, electricjohn said:

I took a peek into my exhaust openings this past summer when I pulled the boat for a refuel.  My exhaust sounded louder and I was looking for broken baffles.  What I did notice was about a half inch of water lying in the bottom of the muffler and transom hose.  After towing the boat home at season end,  300 miles with hills, the water was still there.  I used a wet vac to remove the water and easily got more than a quart (ltr) out of each side. I never addressed this issue the previous 14 winters without problems but I figured I'd throw this out there for you.

Doesn't matter, as long as water has space to expand it doesn't cause a problem.

Always though a pipe less than half full can't burst if it freezes. But a full bottle of tomato juice will, found that out the hard way.

I had a buddy in Seattle who lost the muffler in his Prostar. It cracked over the winter. With that in mind, I've always done a 1 or 2 second dry start at the end of the winterization.

5 hours ago, gahvey said:

closed bottle?  It would if it was closed....Nowhere for the liquid to really expand.

Yup, closed bottle and the refrigerator turned down a bit too much.  Heard the explosion in the middle of the night, wondered what that noise was, and found out in the morning. No bloody mary that morning. Just two hrs of cleanup.

Nothing worse than a full can of coke in the car and -5 degrees. I had frozen brown sticky spots from the front windshield to the back window and everywhere in between. Took until spring to get the spots off the headliner.