Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Please help a new guy out- trailer question

Hello all, 

Thanks for reading and providing any input. I'm new to Malibu but experienced running boats home here in GA all the way to SE Alaska. 

Im being gifted a 2004 Wakesetter free and clear but it doesn't come with a trailer.  I understand I cannot use my bass boat trailer due to weight and the fact the vdrive won't clear. My question is there a list of compatible trailers already complied or a set of specifications I can use to find one? I googled Malibu boat trailers and didn't come up with much. I would love to find a used one that will work on a budget. Would be used to go only a few miles from the lake house to ramp. Any input will be more than welcome. Much obliged y'all. 

Matthew

I'm sure someone here will chime in if I'm wrong, but you don't need a Malibu specific trailer. You just need one built for a v-drive/direct drive that has room for tracking fins, and is built for the same ballpark length/weight. Some common brands are Extreme (Xtreme?) and Boatmate. 

If you can find one that was used for a Mastercraft, Moomba, Nautique, Supra etc, you should be fine.

If you are looking used, I would search craigslist around Springfield, MO, Table Rock, LOTO areas.  There seem to be a fair amount of boats out there that live full time on a lift, and the trailers get sold.

11 hours ago, WABOBO said:

I'm sure someone here will chime in if I'm wrong, but you don't need a Malibu specific trailer. You just need one built for a v-drive/direct drive that has room for tracking fins, and is built for the same ballpark length/weight. Some common brands are Extreme (Xtreme?) and Boatmate. 

If you can find one that was used for a Mastercraft, Moomba, Nautique, Supra etc, you should be fine.

Those will not work. 

Welcome to the crew.  

You need a trailer that is specific to your hull and it definitely needs cage protection around the prop and rudder area.  If the boat is already in place for the winter, you might have time to find something on craigslist.  Otherwise $5k is a general budget for a new trailer.  Good luck in your search.

IIRC, in 2004 Malibu went to the "Gorilla" fins for tracking fins. Those fins are longer than the earlier fins and need clearance on the trailer. You need a trailer that the boat sits correctly on meaning the chines don't sit on the bunks or the paddle wheel etc don't rest on the bunks either.

12 minutes ago, malibu2004 said:

Those will not work. 

I would think a couple hundred dollars in a welders time and material that almost any inboard trailer could be modified, it could be a single or tandem.  If a crew member with the SV23 hull and the newer gorilla fins (if the 04 has them) could get some measurements for him.  

35 minutes ago, Ndawg12 said:

I would think a couple hundred dollars in a welders time and material that almost any inboard trailer could be modified, it could be a single or tandem.  If a crew member with the SV23 hull and the newer gorilla fins (if the 04 has them) could get some measurements for him.  

Sure if you start hacking on it anything would work. 

One thing to think about is for a v-drive get a v drive trailer, direct drive get a direct drive trailer.  Otherwise you'll be moving the axles around to get the correct tongue weight.  For a trailer that doesn't have enough clearance for gorilla fins the easiest mod would be spacers under the bunks to raise the bunks rather than trying to hack up the crossmembers.

31 minutes ago, malibu2004 said:

Sure if you start hacking on it anything would work. 

But you said they wouldn't work, and that's all you said, I'm sure the OP appreciates your contribution.  $1500 trailer with a couple hundred in mods, 5k for a new one,  $2200 for the one I linked, just trying to provide some options to the OP.

25 minutes ago, Ndawg12 said:

But you said they wouldn't work, and that's all you said, I'm sure the OP appreciates your contribution.  $1500 trailer with a couple hundred in mods, 5k for a new one,  $2200 for the one I linked, just trying to provide some options to the OP.

Yea they wont work unless you hack on them. The one you mentioned would work. Looking at his original posts it asks what trailers will work. It doesn't say anything about hacking on one to get it to work. 

WOBOBO say's those trailer will work and I say they wont. 

706912, The trailer Ndawg12 posted should fit your boat. The 06 V-ride and 04 Waksetter are the same hull. It says the trailer was built in 2010 so not sure if it was built for that hull thou? It looks as thou it has the swinging tongue, single axle is easier to move around and sounds like your not towing too far? And it sounds as thou it may be fairly close to you. Most likely your best option. I looked for trailers for awhile when we got our boat and used ones seem to be hard to find, my location didn't help.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the input guys. I appreciate it. I'm going to call the guy with the Craigslist ad asap. i can't afford to spend 5-6k at the moment. Still can't believe I'm getting a free Wakesetter. 

• Like 2

So the trailer already has been sold. Unfortunate but I'll keep hunting. 

Family lives on a lake in FL and are moving off the water. Doesn't want to deal with the hassle of selling it so my aunt told me to come get it soon. Comes with a bunch of boards and other odds and ends. My family acquired a lake house while I was running skiffs in Alaska this year so it will be put to good use bringing people together. I'm stoked as you can imagine. 

Thanks again for for all the advice y'all!

• Like 1

Search for a loadrite inboard trailer.  a new one for your boat should run around $3500 -4500 new, should be able to find a used one for less.  the bunks are adjustable and should be able to move the axles to get it balanced correctly.  when I bought my 06 wakesetter the dealer included a new loadrite elite trailer in the Sale.  While I would rather have a factory trailer the loadrite trailer would work well if you can find one.

1 hour ago, stags79 said:

Search for a loadrite inboard trailer.  a new one for your boat should run around $3500 -4500 new, should be able to find a used one for less.  the bunks are adjustable and should be able to move the axles to get it balanced correctly.  when I bought my 06 wakesetter the dealer included a new loadrite elite trailer in the Sale.  While I would rather have a factory trailer the loadrite trailer would work well if you can find one.

I acquired this Loadrite last summer, and you are right.  Totally adjustable, aluminum frame & galvanized steel, really nice.  Pulls really well.2016 Winter storage compressed.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2016 at 3:05 PM, Michigan boarder said:

I acquired this Loadrite last summer, and you are right.  Totally adjustable, aluminum frame & galvanized steel, really nice.  Pulls really well.2016 Winter storage compressed.jpg

Love the look of aluminum I beam trailers, one problem on the coast only, saw one of these float!!!! In salt water after guy pulled big boat off the trailer floated partially under the dock before he attempted to pull out, blew my mind!!! Never thought these had any flaws till that but for most fresh water boaters no problem.  I wonder if a lesser boat would have floated with it!!