Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Modified wedge for bigger wake

tedshred

Gurney flap in marine terms; aka "interceptor". I may not have the ratio quite right. The theory is similar for water and air. More lift at lower angle of attack = less drag = more fuel efficient. I wanted something that had the desired effect without the equivalent of hanging a drogue chute over the side (which I also considered) :-)

• Like 1

Tested this weekend. Very happy with the results.The boat pulls the modded wedge no problem. However, with no passengers and no ballast I can't run full wedge because of porpoising. The boat did that previously anyway only now, it is more pronounced. The answer is to run less wedge or add ballast/load. With full ballast and wedge it's BIG! Images in the link below showing right and left surf with wake shaper, full ballast (FCRL) 2 bodies (my son and I - ~140kg/300lb) and with minimum and maximum wedge. @ 10 mph/15.7 kmh Note the better result obtained on the starboard (driver's) side due to prop rotation. Will experiment with 11mph. Will also provide some surf action vids and/or images soon.

https://goo.gl/photos/hHWWDsWt4ZTHYjTM6

Edited by tedshred
  • 3 years later...

Well, I can honestly say that the larger wedge is a bonus. When combined with additional ballast -2 x 550lb Ronix 8.3 sacks in the rear and a 600lb 8.3 in the front (all PnP with 20mm irrigation hose and Pope 18mm quick-connectors) and "suck-gate" the result is fantastic. I can trim the length and steepness of the wake with the front ballast. The larger wedge when moved up to the "max" wake position "squares" the wake up at the top -moving the peak of the wake further to port and fattens and mellows wave. nice for a longer board. With the wedge tucked in to it's fully-down position we get a nice curl about around 12ft (4m) from the rear and a clean, steep face. Very happy so far! https://photos.app.goo.gl/mi7ndaQ79QeHT5ay5

Love it.  If you haven't, try tilting the front of the suck gate downward so that at surfing speeds it is straight up and down.  Also I had much better steering and a longer wave moving it forward.  A couple bags of lead in the very front of the nose (under the nav light) should help with the porpoising.