Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

After Market Trailer Guides - Suggestions?

SpringD24

Hi,

I have a 2001 Response and when I bought it, it didn't come with a trailer.  I bought one from a retailer in Ontario Canada called Excalibur, it does the trick... but it can be a challenge to get the boat on straight sometimes.  I want to put some trailer guides on to make it easier next season.  Has anyone else added after market trailer guides to their trailer?  Any suggestions?  Obviously inboards are much heavier than other boats, I don't want something that is going to fail on me.

Thanks

Darryl

Make sure whatever you go with, that it is removable.  So if you weld something to the trailer, have the guide pole slide down inside of it or something like that.  When detailing or storing the boat it is nice to be able to remove the poles.

The ones I've been looking at bolt on.... Was thinking the same thing actually, I get my boat shrink wrapped for the winter.  Would be a real pain trying to do that around the guides.  What about size?  I'm looking at the SeaSense guides

3 minutes ago, SpringD24 said:

The ones I've been looking at bolt on.... Was thinking the same thing actually, I get my boat shrink wrapped for the winter.  Would be a real pain trying to do that around the guides.  What about size?  I'm looking at the SeaSense guides

These are 2" PVC pipes over the guides, so the metal itself is probably 1.5" thick.  The one with the tower has guide pole covers slipped on over the 2" PVC.  You might check with Bakes or someone else that makes guide pole covers to make sure that what you come up with will still fit a standard cover.  Even if you don't use pole covers now, you never know.  Not sure on the height, but you can eyeball it.

2016 winter storage 2 compressed.jpg

Yes.... It has the prop cutout.  Only came with 2 bunks orginially.  I added a nose catch to make it a little easier to load the boat.  Guides are essential though.  I'm tired of fighting with it at the launch

• Like 1

I don't think I would weld on the guides as I need to remove mine occasionally. I park in a narrow RV space, and the guides stick out a bit too far. They easily come down though so it's not an issue. Plus it's nice to remove them when your cleaning or waxing the boat.

Since when is a Malibu heavier than any other boat? Maybe than a Bayliner, but not compared to boats made by Cobalt, Tige or Nautique.