Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterizing stickers

Got mine installed Yesterday.  It took around 2 hours.  About 30-45 of that was disassembling the locker and finding the right size tools (removing wall, removing floor, finding the right size tools, etc).  Wasted about 30 minutes trying to access the bolt without removing the two clamps that hold the black cylinder to the engine.  Once I figured out how to get the cylinder loose from the engine, it wasn't that bad.  I didn't have to remove any hoses.  Having a ratcheting wrench helped speed the process up.  Got the hose hooked up and ran it up front.  Of course the process wouldn't be complete without losing a screwdriver under the engine block that was just out of reach.  I had to channel my inner MacGyver and come up with a contraption to reach further under the block to retrieve the screwdriver.

It was definitely a tight fit for everything, but it wasn't that bad thanks to @The Hulk advice.  Not that I want to do it again, but if I did I don't think it would take nearly as long.  I'm glad I did it because now I can easily drain #3 in less than 5 seconds rather 30min-1hr trying to get to the #3 plug each time.

• 11 months later...

@The Hulk Thanks for all the great information on this thread.  

We have a 2017 VLX 22, and I took a first pass trying to drain according to the blue stickers over the weekend.  

Found 1, 2, 5 pretty easily.  

I now know where 3 is based on this discussion.

Question though....with 5 (the one on the left in the image below) I couldn't find anything to unscrew.  I read here that maybe it's pulling the impeller.  Is that right?  

There's only four slots in the blue plug holder.

Thanks again!

IMG_0655.jpeg

IMG_0654.jpeg

IMG_0646.jpeg

impeller is one blue sticker on it correct pull the cover off, use a 6in1 screw driver take the bits out and the hex socket fits easily. 

FYI here is the updated drawing: the PIA one to find/locate on the 16's is located by the "B" arrows but the arrow to the right. near impossible to reach and work. if it was a few hundred dollars by a dealer then id pay to have them install a hose if i had to do over. I dont bend so easily and didnt like taking half the boat apart to still not be able to fit or reach it well... 

if i drain that "B" hose whip lastly that i installed there isnt a much water at all, i know some ppl disconnect the HOSE near "A" to do the same but i figured the right B arrow is the lowest point so i added the whip. 

if you want to see where #3 of 5 is click here: its the 45 deg angle plug that needs removed and whip added; https://photos.app.goo.gl/gfZHJL5cUpjg2f6P6    another video; https://photos.app.goo.gl/pYSCEN4BfNtEDHaJ9

this video shows hows thos pesky hose clamps actually attach, hard to feel around so after this video i saw the opposing notches the hose clamps had to fit into; https://photos.app.goo.gl/5G3q8xYfzsk7sa9v7

hope that helps... PIA!!!! 

drains.jpg

Edited by The Hulk

On my 18 I undid 4 blue plugs and broke the seal on the impeller.  

1. Below oil filter / heat exchanger

2. Hose coming off tranny cooler under motor in stringer

3. Vee Drive / tranny

4. Hose on floor b/t fuel tank and motor

Also uncapped the hose inlet on the raw water strainer to break seal

2D6F7ED1-E56A-407B-9AB1-31C92AA44362.jpeg

1F62C3F3-F4E4-409A-9856-25A122CD9025.jpeg

0B8C5BC1-94B8-4FC2-9FB8-3624AE605FE8.jpeg

C578470A-7BF6-48F6-B81D-6F372D08A700.jpeg

6 hours ago, Murphy8166 said:

On my 18 I undid 4 blue plugs and broke the seal on the impeller.  

1. Below oil filter / heat exchanger

2. Hose coming off tranny cooler under motor in stringer

3. Vee Drive / tranny

4. Hose on floor b/t fuel tank and motor

Also uncapped the hose inlet on the raw water strainer to break seal

1F62C3F3-F4E4-409A-9856-25A122CD9025.jpeg

0B8C5BC1-94B8-4FC2-9FB8-3624AE605FE8.jpeg

C578470A-7BF6-48F6-B81D-6F372D08A700.jpeg

I can't wait to get into this on mine. Dealer told me they drain all but the infamous #3 and just run 3 gallons of antifreeze through strainer for that one.

23 hours ago, Murphy8166 said:

Is this the V-drive bolt plug + anode with extra threaded hole for a blue know hand turn drain?, if so wondering if you can buy this anywhere easily?

Hulk - all that is, is male national pipe thread (MNPT) x female national pipe thread (FNPT) brass reduction bushing.  That does into the tranny with some Teflon tape and them you put in an Indmar blue plug.  Not sure on the sizes.

The FNPT wil be 1/2” 

23 hours ago, dalt1 said:

I can't wait to get into this on mine. Dealer told me they drain all but the infamous #3 and just run 3 gallons of antifreeze through strainer for that one.

My ‘18 had a whip already on it similar to what Murphy posted. Made #3 easy from the swim platform with the rear storage bin out. 

‘16’s didn’t have the #3 whip hose. That was added in ‘17.

On my ‘16 I removed the hose at the V Drive and the drain plug on the heat exchanger, poured pink AF in the hose until it ran out of the heat exchanger drain filling up that hose.

Just made these for a buddy so figured I'd post them here. 

Every plug released some water.  #2 and #3 by far released the most for me.

I haven't pulled the impeller #5 yet so not sure if much water releases there.

We have a 2017 VLX 22.

1.jpeg

2.png

3.jpeg4_and_5.jpeg

Edited by bcummins
  • Like 2
On 11/21/2018 at 11:48 AM, bcummins said:

Just made these for a buddy so figured I'd post them here. 

Every plug released some water.  #2 and #3 by far released the most for me.

I haven't pulled the impeller #5 yet so not sure if much water releases there.

We have a 2017 VLX 22.

1.jpeg

2.png

3.jpeg4_and_5.jpeg

Thanks for these pics. Best help I have seen yet for finding all the plugs. This 18 LSV is easiest to winterize of the 3 Malibu I have had yet. It could be done in 5 minutes if not for pulling the impeller cover. The bilge blower is a little close to make using my impeller puller easy to use.

Edited by dalt1
31 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

Thanks for these pics. Best help I have seen yet for finding all the plugs. This 19 LSV is easiest to winterize of the 3 Malibu I have had yet. It could be done in 5 minutes if not for pulling the impeller cover. The bilge blower is a little close to make using my impeller puller easy to use.

25LSV?  So new Malibu motor doesn’t have enough clearance for the puller?