Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop found a rope

Yesterday when my brother had the boat out, our prop found a rope in the water. It is not entirely clear to me how tightly the rope was wrapped around the prop and shaft, but there is vibration starting at 30 MPH. I've read the prop removal tips on the site so we'll replace the prop this week. I have 2 questions:

1. Should I be concerned that the shaft may also be bent? How do I know?

2. Where should we buy the prop & puller?

Biggrin.gif The good news is that his 3 year old got up on double skis on the boom. Biggrin.gif

Is the prop actually damaged?

Yes. Small ding on one leading edge. I have no idea how a ski rope could have damaged a brass prop.

Did the rope wrap around between the prop and the strut? Could it have damaged the strut bushing?

My brother did not get under to look at it (why, I have no idea), so we don't know. He just drove it back to the dock. How do we know if the bushing is damaged?

The ding in the prop will be the cause of the vibration. Get that fixed first & water test. The prop shaft is very robust and if all you did was wrap up a rope it is probably not bent. You are saying that there may be more to the story though it seems.

The ding in the prop will be the cause of the vibration. Get that fixed first & water test. The prop shaft is very robust and if all you did was wrap up a rope it is probably not bent. You are saying that there may be more to the story though it seems.

Thanks. I do believe there is more to the story...

I'd buy the prop from Wakeside.com. Plus you get their credit to use later. That's what the guys at Acme told me. Then buy the puller from Acme direct.

The Harmonic Puller worked great on mine, much cheaper and easier to use (so they say). The 'Weekend Saver' kit will allow you to keep a prop and all needed accessories on the boat - plus it has room for your spare.

My friend found a place in ID that repairs dings for under $100. I'm going to use him soon as well. PM me and I'll get you his info if you want it.

Biggrin.gif The good news is that his 3 year old got up on double skis on the boom. Biggrin.gif

Excellent. How 'bout some pics?

you may want to remove the rope, that probably isn't helping your vibration..

He must have already removed the rope or he would not be able to see the ding in the prop. Dumba$$. It's jetskiers like you who don't have a clue in these situations. Crazy.gif

Roger - the strut has a teflon bush inside it that uses water for lubrication. The shaft is a tight fit in the prop strut and it is pretty hard to damage, I would think. Don't worry about the jet skier's comments - there are plenty of people reading this who want to help you through! Biggrin.gif

Excellent. How 'bout some pics?

you may want to remove the rope, that probably isn't helping your vibration..

He must have already removed the rope or he would not be able to see the ding in the prop. Dumba$$. It's jetskiers like you who don't have a clue in these situations. Crazy.gif

ROFL.gif Weeellllllll he aparently doesn't have a prop puller... so he might have just driven it with the rope on, and wondered why it was vibratin.. then pulled it out to notice that there is a ding Crazy.gif

I'm thinkin' outta the box here people, work with me Biggrin.gif ... I'm "trying" to be helpful..

Roger - the strut has a teflon bush inside it that uses water for lubrication. The shaft is a tight fit in the prop strut and it is pretty hard to damage, I would think. Don't worry about the jet skier's comments - there are plenty of people reading this who want to help you through! Biggrin.gif

The saga continues. I saw the prop. All 4 blades have "burnish" marks on the flat surfaces and 2 of the 4 leading edges are damaged with dimples (dings). The strut is in line and the strut bushing appears to be untouched. I'll post a picture.

It also appears that we had the wrong prop installed at the factory. We have a 13.5/19--the prop meant for the 8.1L. Interesting...

Edited by RogerQ

I reckon. Might have to get some advice from D-GOOSE on this one. Pics will be interesting too.

Edited by andyb

I'd buy the prop from Wakeside.com. Plus you get their credit to use later. That's what the guys at Acme told me. Then buy the puller from Acme direct.

The Harmonic Puller worked great on mine, much cheaper and easier to use (so they say). The 'Weekend Saver' kit will allow you to keep a prop and all needed accessories on the boat - plus it has room for your spare.

My friend found a place in ID that repairs dings for under $100. I'm going to use him soon as well. PM me and I'll get you his info if you want it.

I did not need a puller to remove my prop. I was able to remove the nut and the blade came off with a gentle whack from my rubber hammer.

I got my new prop from Delta Prop Then I shipped the old prop back in the box and had it repaired as a spare. A good price on ACME and excellent repair for about $100. I hit a rock with my prop and all 3 blades were mangled.

Edited by MoonDawg

Atta boy on the prop change w/out puller - That is my method too... though I have now encountered a few that sure would have been nice to have a puller.

Check for stress cracks around the strut pad (where the strut mounts to the hull). You may need to use a grease pencil. Color around the strut pad and smear it with your hand. The cracks are much easier to detect that way. Sometimes, a bent shaft is noticable if you rotate the prop by hand. The resistance should be pretty consistent through a full revolution of the prop shaft.