Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil pressure issues

I am pretty sure I already know the answer to this question, but I am going to ask anyway. 2010, 350 Monsoon 688 hours. I just changed the oil last weekend 6qts 15-40W Rotella and the new 1060/1069 NAPA filter pre filled with oil and today was the first day wet after the oil change. The boat fires up and runs like a champ all the way down to "the spot". Oil pressure a constant 58-60 psi like usual no unusual noises or smells. We stop hang for a while and when I go to start it up before I can get on plane, I get a Low O P warning on the Malivue. I shut it off thinking stupid freaking computer glitch and attempt to fire it up and I am seeing 14 bouncing up to 25 psi and I go into limp mode. I pull up the walk over and the hatches and check the oil, crystal clear, totally full and still cool because I hadn't gone 2 miles. No oil in the bilge, filter is clean and I didn't hear any ticking I would think you would hear with a bad pump and an oil starved engine. I am SOL at this point so I limp it back 1-2 mph and showing 25 psi on the dash. I get almost back to the marina and the oil pressure jumps up to where I would normally see it given the 2000 rpm limp limit. In transit I am also seeing the gauge go from 17-45 psi in a blink and then settle back to 25 psi and continues to raise and lower as the trip progresses.

NO Active engine faults showing.

I hoping like heck I am dealing with a bad OP sensor switch. Thoughts?

Edited by wdr
21 minutes ago, wdr said:

I hoping like heck I am dealing with a bad OP sensor switch. Thoughts?

Invest in a mechanical pressure gauge and put your mind at rest. Good luck!

Just now, minnmarker said:

Invest in a mechanical pressure gauge and put your mind at rest. Good luck!

Pretty sure he cant run a mechanical, the maliview requires a digital oil pressure sending unit.  He might be able to "T" off the block and run both, but without the digital sending unit connected into the maliview I would bet he would never get out limp mode.

I checked everything stem to stern and not a drop of oil or water anywhere. The last thing to check would be where the wire/s actually attach to the sensor. It was getting dark by the time we got back and put it bed so I will check that in the morning. I checked Bakes first thing to see what the damage would be, a lot more palatable than the rudder was! Guess I will run down to Nashville on Tuesday to get a new sensor. Travis, do you know off hand where the location of the sensor is at? Thanks for input guys, Bill.

19 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

6 quarts is a half quart too much, shouldn't cause oil pressure problems but could make your crank splash in the oil.

I was kind of wondering about that when I started using the 1060 filters, but it literally takes 3/4 qt of oil to pre fill that filter. After I put the rest of the oil in that 1/2 qt over puts me dead center on the dip stick when level in the garage.

Yeper the first thing is check the plugs on the pressure sensors. One done near the filter if your setup is like mine. It may have been bumped with filter change. Also the grounds. Its not common with a true oil pressure problem that the pressure would recover as long as an oil shortage is not the problem.   +1 on the cannon plug also.  

Just pulled the sensor, directly below the remote oil filter mount and filter. The actual wires and plug head look perfect and they were hidden behind the spark plug wires and the dripless shaft seal water line and they appeared to be untouched so being bumped or hit during an oil change is unlikely. The Bakes item shown on the link is the exact aluminum and plastic 3 prong piece on my engine. Think I may go look at a local parts place to see if I can find a direct replacement so I can get out today, sunny and 85. I will post up the replacement part number and results if I can get it local.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got closure on this issue. Turns out it was the OP sensor. I pulled the old one took it to Autozone and had them cross reference the sensor. Bingo the exact same sensor down to the crush sleeve and thread sealant. Cranked it over and the OP is back to normal. Here are some pictures and the PN is PS 340 if anyone else has to go that route. The old one is on he bottom of the pictures.

IMG_0211.JPG

Edited by wdr