Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

quick release platform pins

Badger

Help!  I don't know how to get them out!  I can't budge them.  I tried to pry them up and bent one.

2015 VTX.

Edited by Badger

When I first got my BU, I had the same problem with the Starboard side. So I put my body weight 

on that side of the outer edge of the swim platform, and whalla, freed up realy easily. 

That's what I have to do every time in order to take off the platform. 

Edited by Dare2goBare
On 10/29/2016 at 4:22 PM, Badger said:

Help!  I don't know how to get them out!  I can't budge them.  I tried to pry them up and bent one.

2015 VTX.

I use pressure from my back upwards against swim platform crouching on the side of the pin to be removed and the bind releases, align and pull pin, then set back on mount releasing upwards back pressing 

Edited by granddaddy55

This is what the pins looked like when I got them out.  I had to pull the cotter pin out with a vice grips and then tap out the pin with a punch.  I'm guessing there's some significant mis-alignment in the brackets to get a force strong enough to bend the pins like this.

IMG_5341.JPG

What about stress from trailering? Since the trailer straps attach to the swim platform brackets and not to the lifting eyes, towing with the straps tight on a rough road could also bend the pins. If the trailer tie down straps are ratchet straps that could also be adding pressure/stress to the brackets and pins.

I need to go look at my swim platform to make sure I'm not off base here, but going from memory it seems that this could be caused by towing and not "human ballast" friends using the swim platform as a diving board.

ahopkins22LSV

I don't want to speak fully for @Badger but his boat his hoist stored. I don't know all of his friends though but they are skiers so I'm assuming  they aren't 6'8" 375lb NFL linemen. 

I would guess that his brackets are off on the platform or boat. 

56 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I don't want to speak fully for @Badger but his boat his hoist stored. I don't know all of his friends though but they are skiers so I'm assuming  they aren't 6'8" 375lb NFL linemen. 

I would guess that his brackets are off on the platform or boat. 

Lol...I might get 250 lbs on the platform, when helping a kid put a wakeboard on.  Don't moor that boat at all.  And trailered it for 400 miles the first weekend I owned it.  It hasn't seen trailer straps since then.  My launch is 1 mile from my house.

Really though, I think the design of the pins is just to keep the platform attached, not to support weight.  The brackets themselves support the weight.

This weekend, I'm going to have to put it back on and take a good look to see what's going on.  I was pressed for time last weekend and was just happy to get the platform off so I could shut the garage door.

Edited by Badger

Badger is right, they don't support downward weight, however the do take all the force of upward pressure such as the rollers that can slam the platform up if you are anchored/moored where rollers come at the boat from the rear. But, easy enough to see if alignment is the issue by just seeing if a screwdriver the right size slides through where the pin would go.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

So I finally took the time yesterday to put the platform back on and check the alignment. It was perfect. 

So, it must be caused by upward pressure on the bottom of the platform.  Based on how I use the boat, my best guess is surfing. I'm just surprised that I havent seen this issue with other VTX's, if surfing is truly the cause.