Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 ROCKFORD FOSGATE I PHONE connection

kaufmann4ski

I bought a 2013 VTX this year.  I tried to hook up phone via blue tooth with no success.  I then tried to hook up through the USB plug in glove box with no success.  THE DEALER I BOUGHT MY BOAT FROM SUCKS!

I tried to order a "dongle" from a stereo shop with no success....

I would be happy just to hard wire through the usb in the box...  any suggestions?

Help Please... frustrated that i paid $70,000 for a boat and cannot utilize the "big stereo"

8 hours ago, kaufmann4ski said:

I tried to hook up phone via blue tooth with no success.

Did your phone see a blue tooth, if so, what was its call sign? Did the phone connect but got no tunes or just could not connect?

I then tried to hook up through the USB plug in glove box with no success.

What did the phone do when you plugged up and what did the boat display do?

I tried to order a "dongle" from a stereo shop with no success....

What did you try to order specifically? Like brand and model number. 

phone could not discover the boat.

when up via usb "nothing" would happen. the display would switch to aux but tunes would not play

the ordering, i called a local stereo shop that deals with boats, they seemed to act like i knew what was needed, proceeded to tell me they would order and it would be in within a week...after 5 weeks calling them and they told me it would be in soon, i gave up.  

seems like you may have some thoughts.  i appreciate any advice you have

If it is like my 2016, the USB won't work with an iPhone.  It is a well documented complaint on here.  I am sure MLA can correct me if this doesn't allow poly to your 2013.  He is very knowledgeable.

Sorry I am not any help on the USB issue.  

On 10/30/2016 at 8:41 AM, kaufmann4ski said:

phone could not discover the boat.

This tells me there is not BT on the boat, its not going into pair mode or its just not operative. Id be tracing down head unit pigtails to see whats actually plugged into the AUX inputs or the BT socket. 

when up via usb "nothing" would happen. the display would switch to aux but tunes would not play

I bet that USB port is looking for a mass storage like a thumb drive and not "I" compatible. If you outlet is the 3-way and has the round s-vid looking like mentioned above, try it if you have an iphone or late model ipod.

the ordering, i called a local stereo shop that deals with boats, they seemed to act like i knew what was needed, proceeded to tell me they would order and it would be in within a week...after 5 weeks calling them and they told me it would be in soon, i gave up.

If they tried to order the rockford dongle, I think it got retired.  

• Like 1

Which set up do u have. The rfx3000 or the rfx5000. The 3000 will not do Bluetooth. But you you should be able to use the 3.5mm headphone jack to plug into your iPhone. I have the 3000 now. The headphone jack works. The USB does not for playing music and the 3000 does not have the option to plug in the Bluetooth dongle. The 5000 does have the option and has different input connectors. I'm installing the 5000 today. 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, xmercmanx said:

The 3000 will not do Bluetooth. But you you should be able to use the 3.5mm headphone jack

it does not have the proprietary plug for the rockford BT, however, the medallion BT that Malibu has used, has universal RCA's and was actually Y's in with the glove box 3.5MM for a couple model years.    

A few things.  First, I'll ask again - have you tried a different phone?  iPhone?  Android?  That is the first thing I would do.  Your problem may not even be the stereo - Apple stuff generally does not work very well with non-Apple stuff (not trying to start a fanboy/hater match here, folks so please don't say I'm just doing it wrong).  That may be the root of the problem.  Getting the right interface/dongle thing may be the problem.  For whatever reason, in my BMW, the cord that interfaces between the car and the iPod is specific to model and generation.  It took me 3 tries to get teh right cord (one would control the device, but no sound, one vice versa, and finally the right cord gave all).  So when it comes to Apple, the "U" in USB apparently stands for "Unique," rather than "Universal."  If you can't get any phone to work via USB or Bluetooth, then the issue likely resides with the RF black box.  If you CAN, then there may be a compatibility problem, or the issue may be with your phone.

Another option - do you use your phone to stream, or just play from your library?  Now that I've discovered all I need for my music is a thumb drive (had been told only an Apple would work with it), I am much, much happier.  Obviously you can't stream that way, but if you just play from your library, it makes life much easier (no iTunes!).

xmercmanx

how much did it cost you to change out?   did it work?  where did you buy?  did u do yourself?

67King, thanks for thoughts all i own is i-crap so i cannot try others.

11 hours ago, 67King said:

If you can't get any phone to work via Bluetooth, then the issue likely resides with the RF black box.

Have to disagree. A 2013 would have likely come OEM with the Medallion unit, if BT equipped. It uses the universal AUX RCA inputs. if the 3.5MM in the glove box works, then this rules out the black box as being an issue. However, I do think its not a bad idea to try to find the boats BT with a different phone This rules out the phone but does not prove the box to be bad. BT is so universal and generic, I would not worry about I or android.  

Upgrading to the 5000 may give you a unit thats more compatible on the USB side (i dont know for sure) and it will give you the preparatory socket for the now retired "dongle" but thats no guarantee it will resolve your issues.