Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Alternatives to Carpet

blytle473

I am looking to put some upgrades into the boat this year. I am going to reupholster it and also put in new carpet. I really don't want to put carpet down again just because it seems like every time we get the carpet wet, by the time it dries again, we are going skiing or surfing and the carpet seems like it never fully dries. What are some other alternatives? I have contacted SeaDek and Deckadance and neither have gotten back to me. What are the costs and is it worth it? I have a 2004 23 lsv. As anyone else tried to put this material in an older boat like mine?

15 minutes ago, blytle473 said:

I am looking to put some upgrades into the boat this year. I am going to reupholster it and also put in new carpet. I really don't want to put carpet down again just because it seems like every time we get the carpet wet, by the time it dries again, we are going skiing or surfing and the carpet seems like it never fully dries. What are some other alternatives? I have contacted SeaDek and Deckadance and neither have gotten back to me. What are the costs and is it worth it? I have a 2004 23 lsv. As anyone else tried to put this material in an older boat like mine?

If it's snap in I take mine up every trip do the "diaper" backing can dry and it mildews badly when left down, live my snap our carpet, feels real luxurious on the feet

Just now, granddaddy55 said:

If it's snap in I take mine up every trip do the "diaper" backing can dry and it mildews badly when left down, live my snap our carpet, feels real luxurious on the feet

Unfortunately it isn't snap in. I would absolutely put in snap in carpet but it is not a fiberglass floor its just wood covered with carpet. I don't think snap in would work with the non fiberglass floor.

Just now, blytle473 said:

Unfortunately it isn't snap in. I would absolutely put in snap in carpet but it is not a fiberglass floor its just wood covered with carpet. I don't think snap in would work with the non fiberglass floor.

they stopped putting wood in these boat 10 years prior, it should be unfinished fiberglass.  See the thread I linked above.

Edited by Ndawg12
10 minutes ago, Ndawg12 said:

they stopped putting wood in these boat 10 years prior, it should be unfinished fiberglass.  See the thread I linked above.

Oh wow. I feel dumb now. I thought that it was all wood. I am curious because I had to get to the fuel tank a few years back and I had to remove the floor over it and it was a wood panel. Is it possible for that panel over the fuel tank and the panel over the ski locker in between the walkway to get into the front of the boat to be wood and the rest is fiberglass?

Edited by blytle473

Oh wow. I feel dumb now. I thought that it was all wood. I am cuious because I had to get to the fuel tank a few years back and I had to remove the floor over it and it was a wood panel. Is it possible for that panel over the fuel tank and the panel over the ski locker in between the walkway to get into the front of the boat to be wood and the rest is fiberglass?

Could have been that your boat had that aluminum honeycomb stuff for that panel and someone replaced it with wood after it started flexing like crazy.

1 minute ago, blytle473 said:

Oh wow. I feel dumb now. I thought that it was all wood. I am cuious because I had to get to the fuel tank a few years back and I had to remove the floor over it and it was a wood panel. Is it possible for that panel over the fuel tank and the panel over the ski locker in between the walkway to get into the front of the boat to be wood and the rest is fiberglass?

Certainly possible, some jackleg must have replaced that aluminum honeycomb panel over the fuel tank with wood....As OJ just stated a minute before me :biggrin:  But the surrounding floor should be FG unless they cut that out and went back with wood too :crazy:  Does the carpeted panel over the fuel tank match exactly with the rest of the carpet?  Does it have a different feel/pile and/or look newer?

Edited by Ndawg12
9 minutes ago, Ndawg12 said:

certainly possible, some jackleg must have replaced that aluminum honeycomb panel over the fuel tank with wood.

9 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Could have been that your boat had that aluminum honeycomb stuff for that panel and someone replaced it with wood after it started flexing like crazy.

I did buy the boat used and the guy had not been truthful about multiple things. I suppose this could've been replaced. So if the rest of the floor is fiberglass, would I be able to put snap in carpet if it was? It would probably save quite a bit of money. What about the vertical carpet area between the floor and the seats? Would that be wood or fiberglass?

Edited by blytle473

It matches pretty well. Not really a noticeable difference. It feels a little off but not enough to notice it unless your really close up scrubbing it or vacuuming it. 

11 minutes ago, Ndawg12 said:

Certainly possible, some jackleg must have replaced that aluminum honeycomb panel over the fuel tank with wood....As OJ just stated a minute before me :biggrin:  But the surrounding floor should be FG unless they cut that out and went back with wood too :crazy:  Does the carpeted panel over the fuel tank match exactly with the rest of the carpet?  Does it have a different feel/pile and/or look newer?

• Like 1

I did buy the boat used and the guy had not been truthful about multiple things. I suppose this could've been replaced. So if the rest of the floor is fiberglass, would I be able to put snap in carpet if it was? It would probably save quite a bit of money. What about the vertical carpet area between the floor and the seats? Would that be wood or fiberglass?

The floor is unfinished fiberglass, so I guess you could use snap in but it would have to go clear to the edges since what is under is not pretty like a boat designed to have snap in.  Snap in isn't going to save you any money over gluing down new carpet, because your custom snap in would need to be edged/seamed and have snaps installed.

There is no wood in the boat at all from the factory

Just now, oldjeep said:

The floor is unfinished fiberglass, so I guess you could use snap in but it would have to go clear to the edges since what is under is not pretty like a boat designed to have snap in.  Snap in isn't going to save you any money over gluing down new carpet, because your custom snap in would need to be edged/seamed and have snaps installed.

There is no wood in the boat at all from the factory

Thank you,

That's what I needed to know. 

Here's what I'd like to do when I get the time and a place to work on boat in the winter.

I want to eventually rip out the carpet and cover the floor with epoxy, probably monstaliner them throw the carpet saver over that.

I picked up a carpet saver on Ebay a while back and have that over my floor carpet now. The carpet saver is basically a floor-mat edged and backed that fits the shape of the floor.

I've been talking about this for years now so it may never happen, probably easier just to get a new boat. :)

I really want to try deckadence but it may be a few years, my carpet is still on ok shape.  I'm thinking I'd recarpet the seat bases and use deckadence on the cabin floor and also the compartment floors.  

6 hours ago, Gavin17 said:

I really want to try deckadence but it may be a few years, my carpet is still on ok shape.  I'm thinking I'd recarpet the seat bases and use deckadence on the cabin floor and also the compartment floors.  

My carpet is in terrible shape as the my boat sat at a shop all winter/spring/and summer. It defiantly wasn't covered for some of it because it came back trashed. While the interior is getting ripped out I was thinking that it would just be easier to do it all at once. I was also thinking about doing the seat bases in carpet and the floor in deckadance. I reached out to Gator Step and they couldn't provide me a quote for my 2004, but the cost just seems really high for a 2016 Wakesetter. I even though I would just to the main floor and compartment floors.

2016%20Gator%20Step%20quote_zps5go2l9rs.

On 10/26/2016 at 5:38 AM, blytle473 said:

Most economical way to order deckadence is to go on there website and order a piece and cut it yourself, this is about $700 for the LSV.  You can use your standard carpet as a template.  If you order through authorized dealer with Malibu logo it will run you around $1200.  It is a great product, will be doing this again on my LSV, used it last two season on my VLX and still looked brand new after 198 hours.  Never any smells, feels good on your feet, dries quickly and easily removable (requires no snaps).

3 hours ago, Fman said:

Most economical way to order deckadence is to go on there website and order a piece and cut it yourself, this is about $700 for the LSV.  You can use your standard carpet as a template.  If you order through authorized dealer with Malibu logo it will run you around $1200.  It is a great product, will be doing this again on my LSV, used it last two season on my VLX and still looked brand new after 198 hours.  Never any smells, feels good on your feet, dries quickly and easily removable (requires no snaps).

Is it easy to do? Were you able to do it yourself? When you put it on your VLX, did you do it on just the main floor or in the compartments as well? $700 sounds a whole lot better than $1,200. Can much easier justify the upgrade over carpet with that price.  Would love to save a few dollars to help pay for gas :lol:. It sounds like deckadence is the way to go... comfortable, dries quick, and can take out with ease... sounds perfect. 

25 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

also look at agenda surf:

http://agendasurf.com/shop/boat-trailer/boat-sheet-traction.html

I have seen some great reviews from them also

Great find, if I cut it myself I think I can do the whole boat for ~ $600.  If it holds up as well as the EVA pad on my 6 yr old XXX surfboard then I'd be happy.  

21 hours ago, blytle473 said:

Is it easy to do? Were you able to do it yourself? When you put it on your VLX, did you do it on just the main floor or in the compartments as well? $700 sounds a whole lot better than $1,200. Can much easier justify the upgrade over carpet with that price.  Would love to save a few dollars to help pay for gas :lol:. It sounds like deckadence is the way to go... comfortable, dries quick, and can take out with ease... sounds perfect. 

My BIL did it last year with his MC X-15.  It turned out great, I will also be doing it myself with my lsv this time around.  If you have the carpet template should not be difficult at all.

• Like 1