Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil extractor pumps

21 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

This thing is pricey but well worth it.  I bought the manlier version....cause I'm saucy like that. ja1425-25.jpg

Guys -- It's a 5-gallon bucket with a pump screwed to the top.  Build your own.  My local farm store has 110v and 12v diesel transfer pumps for ~$45.  Similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Amarine-made-Scavenge-Impellor-Diesel-Transfer/dp/B01CNCXOLE/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1477321459&sr=8-18&keywords=12v+transfer+pump

A bucket and lid is < $5.  Some hoses and plumbing connectors and you've got the entire thing sorted out for less than $75.

I bought this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AJR8E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 because Malibu/Axis are geniuses and decided to put a fitting, too large, to fit through my hull drain.  I can't believe how great it worked for both oil and transmission changes.  I knocked it over about 3 times and no spills or leaks.  Since I bought it, I changed fluids in my tractor, power washer etc just because it was so damn easy.

11 hours ago, oldjeep said:

this is the one I have. I just cut the clear tube a couple inches from the dipstick tube and added a barb to 1/4" fpt adaptor that hooks to my drainline.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000GU0MMU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477275988&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=oil+extractor&dpPl=1&dpID=31fsIPN%2BUkL&ref=plSrch

I can vouch for this one. 

A) it's totally not a bong

B) it worked easily and relatively quick 

2 minutes ago, vanamp said:

I can vouch for this one. 

A) it's totally not a bong

B) it worked easily and relatively quick 

Never would have thought bong, but a way to reuse an old party ball if you could reverse the suction on it.

2 hours ago, bamaboy said:

ja1425-25.jpg

This is what I have.  I put the air compressor fitting right on the pump and put the other end right on the drain hose.  2 things I dont like about it. 1) not a clear bucket, so you dont quite know if its still pulling oil or just air. 2) cables arent long enough to go all the way to the boats battery.  That being said, Ill change the bucket and lengthen the cables and shell be good to go.  The buckets nice that Itll hold a seasons worth of oil changes in it. 

I also attached a quick disconnect to a smaller hose that Ill use to change the tranny and vdrive as well when needed.  The bucket pour spout also holds my funnel for oil fills so its super easy to do oil changes. 

21 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

This is what I have.  I put the air compressor fitting right on the pump and put the other end right on the drain hose.  2 things I dont like about it. 1) not a clear bucket, so you dont quite know if its still pulling oil or just air. 2) cables arent long enough to go all the way to the boats battery.  That being said, Ill change the bucket and lengthen the cables and shell be good to go.  The buckets nice that Itll hold a seasons worth of oil changes in it. 

I also attached a quick disconnect to a smaller hose that Ill use to change the tranny and vdrive as well when needed.  The bucket pour spout also holds my funnel for oil fills so its super easy to do oil changes. 

i attache the drain hose through the  V-DRIVE access area and set the bucket on some plastic , the cables are long enough to reach my batteries.

i marked the bucket after the first few drains. you can also tell by the sound of the pump when its done 

6 hours ago, oldjeep said:

for number one you.mean spark plug boot around oil drain line not dipstick tube - right? Dipstick tube doesn't go anywhere remotely near the bottom of the oil pan, in a chev v8 the bottom of the tube isn't even in oil.

You're right, that's what I get for posting after getting home after a concert. Maybe I should go re-read the status report I sent my boss too!

you guys have thought of this, I'm sure, but you don't need to stretch the clamps all the way to the battery.  You can get positive from the starter or alternator and negative from any bolt on the block/vdrive/tranny.

8 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

you guys have thought of this, I'm sure, but you don't need to stretch the clamps all the way to the battery.  You can get positive from the starter or alternator and negative from any bolt on the block/vdrive/tranny.

I actually hadnt thought of that at all.  I had actually looked around all over back there thinking there would be a post but didnt see anything.  For some reason I thought my alternator plugs were covered, but didnt even think to look at the starter. 

1 hour ago, Stevo said:

i attache the drain hose through the  V-DRIVE access area and set the bucket on some plastic , the cables are long enough to reach my batteries.

i marked the bucket after the first few drains. you can also tell by the sound of the pump when its done 

Ditto

2 minutes ago, Chia said:

cut the clips off and and use a cigarette lighter plug (make it long enough).

edit: actually that wouldn't work if you wanted to reverse the pump.

Also depend on what kind of current draw the pump has, cig lighter can't provide much.

44 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

Mine says 4amps but Id have a hard time believing this couldnt run from a cig lighter if those Ronix 3700 gph pumps can run.  

4 amps should be fine.  Typical cig lighter is at least 10. 

19 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

As @shawndoggy said, you have positive and negative at the engine, no reason to go to the battery.

If I were to put a pickup down my dipstick tub I would think about a metal tub. I would also not go any deeper then bottom of the pan. The dipstick tubs are a press fit and the end is not chamfered making it easy to get something hung-up. 

On 10/24/2016 at 0:37 PM, thtrog said:

I have this one, did great and yes I added the adaptor to hook to the oil drain hose.

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=MIT7400&source=froogle&kw=MIT7400&gclid=CPjqksP8888CFQpbhgoddTEBLQ

90CDAE80-0EBF-453D-A35A-549E428ABA47_zps

Why the adapters? I have the same unit and it came with several diameter tubes. I just shove the one that fits down the drain hose from bottom of pan and let it suck. Leave the open end of hose from boat up high and push Mityvac tube to bottom of it. Never loose a drop.

53 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

Why the adapters? I have the same unit and it came with several diameter tubes. I just shove the one that fits down the drain hose from bottom of pan and let it suck. Leave the open end of hose from boat up high and push Mityvac tube to bottom of it. Never loose a drop.

Because then you can just screw it on to the stock oil drain and not have to shove anything down anywhere

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Because then you can just screw it on to the stock oil drain and not have to shove anything down anywhere

And the hose has a larger inside diameter than the tube you can shove into it - so it drains much faster.