Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil extractor pumps

I'm looking to get one so I can take care of this task myself.  I tried the old google search on TMC and came up with some odd threads.

I see the one my boat guy uses and it looks like a large propane tank that gets hooked up to an air compressor.  Anyway.. which one do you use and which one would you recommend?

29 minutes ago, Stevo said:

https://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-17850-1012-Premium-Marine-Changer/dp/B001CX0WX4

i have this one with a threaded brass fitting that connects to the drain hose.

sucks it dry in 30-45sec

Stevo loves to be excessive.... this is all you need ..... pump it a few times and your done  

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=MITMV7241&source=froogle&kw=MITMV7241&gclid=CjwKEAjwv7HABRCSxfrjkJPnrWgSJAA45qA2LApFmpfiMQfOdLhG7RGh7wzyLWTkgvl_k3szpvLknhoCGjHw_wcB

• Like 3

^^^That is the one that I used 15 + years ago.  Bought it at Harbor Freight.  The hoses will come off and make a huge mess.  And I had to do a lot more pumping than just a few times.   I won't use that one again.

this is the one I have. I just cut the clear tube a couple inches from the dipstick tube and added a barb to 1/4" fpt adaptor that hooks to my drainline.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000GU0MMU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477275988&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=oil+extractor&dpPl=1&dpID=31fsIPN%2BUkL&ref=plSrch

2 hours ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

i have one of those in a drawer somewhere, never worked right for me.

2 hours ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

right tool for the job. (I don't mind being that tool)

flip a switch and it sucks it out, flip the switch in the opposite direction and fill the oil recycling jug.

5 hours ago, RyanB said:

This is the one I have used for the last several years.

https://smile.amazon.com/Shoreline-Marine-Oil-Changer-Volts/dp/B004UOU6L0/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1477264334&sr=8-9&keywords=oil+extractor+pump

It changes the drive engines & generator in our houseboat with no mess, and does it quickly.  

I've been using this one the last few years. Works fine, no mess, no hand pumping.

Whatever you do, for your own sake, don't put the extractor in the dipstick!

Two common ways around this are:
1. use a spark plug boot around the end of the dipstick tube and the extractor tube, it will seal well enough to get most of the oil out
2. use a quick-release air valve from a compressor hose with some rubber hose and screw the air valve to the oil pan drain line

There are a few threads on each of these "alternative" methodologies, but please don't be one of those guys who asks "I got my oil extractor tube stuck in the dipstick tube, can I just yank out what I can an run the engine as is?" Answer: No; No you can't.

5 hours ago, mikeo said:

Whatever you do, for your own sake, don't put the extractor in the dipstick!

Two common ways around this are:
1. use a spark plug boot around the end of the dipstick tube and the extractor tube, it will seal well enough to get most of the oil out
2. use a quick-release air valve from a compressor hose with some rubber hose and screw the air valve to the oil pan drain line

There are a few threads on each of these "alternative" methodologies, but please don't be one of those guys who asks "I got my oil extractor tube stuck in the dipstick tube, can I just yank out what I can an run the engine as is?" Answer: No; No you can't.

for number one you.mean spark plug boot around oil drain line not dipstick tube - right? Dipstick tube doesn't go anywhere remotely near the bottom of the oil pan, in a chev v8 the bottom of the tube isn't even in oil.

11 hours ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

Nice hobby craft oil extractor you got there

• Like 1

One thing I forgot to mention is I have the oil line running down from the oil pan, so I wouldn't want to hook up to that line.  I will not be hooking anything up to the dipstick line!

14 hours ago, Stevo said:

https://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-17850-1012-Premium-Marine-Changer/dp/B001CX0WX4

i have this one with a threaded brass fitting that connects to the drain hose.

sucks it dry in 30-45sec

So I could just hook this up to the drain hose and change the oil right on my boat lift? That's really cool. I've been draining while on the trailer and it takes hours to empty. A bit pricey though...

1 minute ago, gobble said:

So I could just hook this up to the drain hose and change the oil right on my boat lift? That's really cool. I've been draining while on the trailer and it takes hours to empty. A bit pricey though...

Any of the ones listed in this thread can be used on the lift from inside the boat. 

Works like a charm, in the dipstick tube with warm oil, but as Chuck pointed out needs to be all the way to the bottom of the pan.  https://www.amazon.com/ALEKO-BST1017-Extractor-Scavenge-Transfer/dp/B00P9W8NLW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477316911&sr=8-1&keywords=oil+and+fuel+extractor

Used it (or similar) for 20 years in the Skier... now using the drain line in the Setter. 

Plus you can use it to steal diesel from your neighbor. jk

11 hours ago, Stevo said:

right tool for the job. (I don't mind being that tool)

flip a switch and it sucks it out, flip the switch in the opposite direction and fill the oil recycling jug.

140 bucks for an oil pump you use 2 times a year no thanks.  But I'm sure it works great. 

Im cheap. 

13 minutes ago, footndale said:

I'm trying to figure out what possible use that would be.  For the boats with vertical remote filters you just drop it straight into a ziplock.  For the boats with block mounted filters you could never get it into a location where it would actually get to all the oil.

24 minutes ago, gobble said:

I have a similar one.  Well worth it IMO. I have used it on the front and rear diff and the transfer case on my truck and a few other things.

This thing is pricey but well worth it.  I bought the manlier version....cause I'm saucy like that. ja1425-25.jpg

1 minute ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

140 bucks for an oil pump you use 2 times a year no thanks.  But I'm sure it works great. 

Im cheap. 

If I had it to do over again I might spend the $140 instead of the $55 I spent, but all I have to do is pump mine about 10 times to get it going and I don't have to crawl into the observer compartment and pull a battery box cover to power the pump so maybe not.

20 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I'm trying to figure out what possible use that would be.  For the boats with vertical remote filters you just drop it straight into a ziplock.  For the boats with block mounted filters you could never get it into a location where it would actually get to all the oil.

I think he was referring to his neighbor's diesel fuel...

23 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

Im cheap. 

Time is $ JJ

(^^^^and this guy wants to be CEO) 

and I am at least 3x per year on the oil changes.