Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 Extreme Trailer need to rebuild oil bath hubs

Bdeever

Experiencing some leaking and probably need to replace some seals. Any advice on parts needed to complete it properly would be greatly appreciated.

When I looked into replacing my hubs I found out that UFP doesn't make the oil bath hubs anymore. The replacement is called the vault hub. It uses a hybrid grease/oil hub and it is supposed to be much better. The grease turns to oil as it heats up. If you do go that route it was recommended to me to buy an extra hub because, even though they are reliable, if they fail it can take a while to get replacement parts. 

I ended up just redoing the seals because I had brake issues too, but I plan on switching to the vault in the future. 

There are places that sell the parts online. The vault is the newer way to go. I however decided just to remove the oil bath and go with grease and bearing buddies. So far so good. Only one season though but from my research its a good way to go.  If you go the vault route most say they get many years out of them and dont ever have to mess with them. In my case i did not want to be the one in a million who did have an on the road loss of oil. 

In the UFP owners manual they list the replacement seals needed for the different axle sizes. Local auto parts store had the needed seals in stock. For my trailer this was a 256-168-SP2-1 which is National Seal P/N 470460

Just went through this on my 06.

Where is the oil leaking from? Front of the brake, or rear.  

If it's in the front portion of the hub, drain the oil, take apart the oil cover, clean (do not use brake cleaner).  Reassemble and us a bit of RTV on the oil fill set screw.  (look at U tube videos, this is really really easy to do).

If its leaking from the inner part of the hub, then proceed with tearing apart the hub and replacing the seals.  

I just went through this in the spring. Bought the parts directly through boatmate - send them an email, as not all of their parts are listed. Here is a write up: 

I looked at replacing everything with grease, converting to the vault system, or repairing the oil bath hubs. After research, and talking with a local trailer guy, I decided that the easiest thing to do - for me - is to continue using the oil bath hubs.

• 2 weeks later...